Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/176/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Newbie

Hello everyone, my name is Amy. I just turned 40 December 17. I am finally understanding what all those 'older' ladies were talking about years ago when I was a slim young whipper snapper lol. "It only gets harder to lose as you age" yeah yeah, whatever i thought, I will never be more than 10 pounds overweight like these 'older' ladies. HA, the jokes on me. I am now 40 pounds above my preferred weight, and it is just not coming off. I mean I lost 5 pounds after two months of sticking religiously to my plan (weight watchers at the time) and regular exercise. I used to lose that in a week a few short years ago. I really hate to pull the thyroid card, but its true both my mother and grandmother suffered hypothyroidism, so I will have it tested to be sure.
I have an old injury which makes exercise challenging for me so for my b-day my husband is treating me to 6 months with a personal trainer. He also agreed to meal delivery, but we were having issues with fed ex getting to our house in the middle of no where, so that i on hold. I think I am going to tick to eating only when I am hungry and stopping when just satisfied.
We run a small 14 acre family homestead in the Blue Ridge mountains of NC. My husband and I have 4 kids ages 12, 15, 16, and 22. I really love my life here, although it is currently -14 (with wind chill) no fun feeding animals in weather like this!
Anyway looking forward to getting to know you guys! Hoping to find some motivation.
Blessings
Amy
HisBeloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #2  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

I've had thyroid issues for 20 years and been on meds...don't let it stop you...you may lose more slowly, but you can still lose! Hang in there, and be sure to join in often.

Cheers, Deb
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/127/120

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! Yes, you can lose weight in your 40s, just be patient. It make take a long time to see the results but you just have to keep up the exercise and healthy eating no matter what. I'm 47 and have been losing about 3 lbs per month and it adds up quickly. Losing 5 lbs in 2 months is not bad, over a year that would be 30 lbs and you would be almost where you want to be.

Of course see your doctor and get the thyroid and everything else checked out. How sweet of hubby to get you a trainer that should be really fun! I have used the eDiets meal delivery program and think meal delivery is a great way to get a sense of portion size. Maybe there are other services you could look into.

Last edited by jayjay77; 01-03-2010 at 10:10 AM.
jayjay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Amy and happy B-day

You can do it, and you'll appreciate your effort so much more than that skinny 20-something did. I'm starting meal delivery this week myself. It's going to take the anxiety out of the food part of my weight loss effort, and let me get really good at other parts like consistent exercise, staying on track, keeping the reins on my mood. I'm so glad your DH is getting you a trainer for 6... wait, did you say months? That's terrific! Sounds like you have a strong support system. You'll be just fine. Glad to have you on the message board!
Losing80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #5  
Excavation in Progress

S/C/G: 215/*ticker*/135

Height: 5' nothing

Welcome!

Yes I hear you loud and clear! It is harder now, but not impossible. This is a great forum for us in our 40s to learn and cheer for each other. I look forward to sharing our challenges and successes!
archychick is offline   Reply With Quote