Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #1  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Default December Week 4 Chat

Hey Chicks! Figured I'd get us started again. I'm sure everyone will be super busy so there may not be much chatter : ) My Christmas celebration is on the 23rd, will be working all day Christmas and my son will be away. I lost those 2lbs and gained 1 back...stuck on this crazy see-saw! I hope everyone has a safe, happy holiday week!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #2  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Morning to everyone...the scale has allowed me to see a small goal I've made for myself. I wanted to be in the 220's by New Year's...and I saw 229 this morning.

Going from "having to lose 107 pounds" to having to lose over 70 pounds sure sounds nice to me. Bumping down that extra pound put me from having to lose 80 pounds down to 79...LOL it's all perception.

I'm only looking at my next goal on a daily basis though, which is to see 220. Looking at smaller steps make it a more attainable task.

Merry Christmas this week to those who celebrate - we'll do most of our celebration on Christmas Eve.
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning. Despite being on call, had a really good day yesterday-only 1 consult and no new admissions. The other inpatient psychiatrist is off this week so the nurse practitioner and I are covering everything so that is an extra blessing. I take the dogs to the vet for boarding tomorrow and hope to get most of the remainder of my packing done tonight. All but that last minute stuff-toiletries, etc you can't put in until the last minute.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Petra - thanks for posting the link to your blog; I looked at the progress pictures, and boy have you made progress! You are beautiful... And I disagree with the posts from the other day that losing weight makes you look older; I think it makes you look younger, and I can see that already with your loss. Great job!

WeightLossWanted - I'm on a bit of a see-saw, too. I don't dare get on the scale. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll muster the courage. But I'm continuing to exercise, which is great.

Okay, so what set off the see-saw? When I was exercising yesterday, I hadn't eaten much yet, and then my legs felt really heavy. I've seen this happen in the past, it sets off a post-exercise binge. I need to get that under control. I'm trying to increase my time on the stair stepper; I started at 10 minutes last week and got up to 15 minutes, which I plan to maintain this week, and then get up to 20 minutes the following week, and so on. Then after the stair stepper, I complete my 40 minutes total on the elliptical. And it was on the elliptical that I was just dogging it. I think today I'll complete my 40 minutes on the treadmill instead; maybe that will help me, too.

I hope all's well with everyone and all your last-minute plans are wrapping up! I'm going to the turkey farm tomorrow for a fresh turkey, like I make at Thanksgiving. My DH and DSs are going away 12/25 - 12/27 (they are going to Pitt's bowl game) and I'm going to prepare it for leftovers when they get back. Yum!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #5  
Deb

NL - if i have a piece of multi grain bread 30 mins before I work out - my legs feel 100% better than if i skip it..they feel heavy and it's harder to work...but with the bread before hand, it's SO MUCH easier..i do protein after the workout to feed the muscle
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #6  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lamb, yeah on the change to the 22x. Every new decade is like a big victory. Isn’t it amazing how the numbers mind games keep us on track or totally throw us for a loop.

Petra, I’m glad the on-call shift is going better. I so hate leaving my dogs no matter how fun the vacation should be.

Newleaf, I agree with you – I definitely look younger having lost weight. When I meet my soon to be DIL’s friends, she tells me after I’ve left that they can’t believe I’m old enough to be DS’s mom. Pretty neat compliment. BTW, when I was a the dead leg stage with the elliptical last summer, that’s when I figured to add protein to my mocha or smoothie. It truly ended the problem. I was low on muscle building protein when I was torturing my quads. Even though I hate adding the extra cals to my smoothie or mocha, I force myself because I feel so much better.

We had an inch of snow over night. Just enough to make the commute slow and hazardous. As the snow is pouring from the skies, there will be more on the way home. But I’m at work and plan to work on the database I started developing last week. That is my job title (Database Manager/Webmaster) but I rarely get to do that. And it’s the part I like. So today should be a good day. I finished the stockings last night. My fingers are sore from stitching the name plates on the stockings, but it is done. YEAH!!! My scale is not evil or nice – it’s stuck. It loves hovering on the 13x/14x border weight. I ordered 2 more size 8 jeans on Sunday and found a pair locally. So the 10s are officially retired. As I had hanging jean butt syndrome, it is a good thing.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #7  
Deb

hey, had my DR's appt today...those 3 pounds I lost? What happened INSIDE my body this week? I lost 11 pounds of fat and gained 8 pounds of muscle! Crazy, right? She had to recheck the numbers twice, because it was such a great shift!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #8  
Heidi

LambChop - congrats on your weight loss and your fat loss -- you are doing so well!! You are very committed... Thanks for the multigrain and protein tips; I'll have to try them!

Marie - same to you, thanks for the protein tip! I just ran out of protein and need to get some more. I put the powder in my hot cereal in the morning. I don't get a full "serving" but I figure that some is better than none. Congratulations on your size 8 jeans!! And on getting to do something meaningful at work...

I've had a decent day today. Played mind games with myself the whole time I was at Wal-Mart to get me to not buy any candy. It worked -- hooray!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #9  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good Morning friend! I'm heading to work for the lat day before Christmas Break. Went to see White Christmas last night with DD11. Fun show!

Wanted to share an interesting story from the other day. I was having lunch with a co-worker who is new to our school this year. She does not know that I have lost alot of weight. We were talking about my DD who is very thin. DD's body type is nothing like mine and we often joke that she is a genetic mutation! My coworker said, " I don't know what you are talking about, you are not heavy." I was floored. I don't think I see myself as others see me. I still feel like the heavy person. Guess it's time to change the way I see myself!

Hope you all have a great day. Those of you traveling, stay safe! Those of you with cold and snow, stay warm!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #10  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lamb, WTG!!!! You are a rockin’ chickie!!! I bet this time next year you’ll be at goal!

Newleaf, and you are a strong chickie. Good job leaving the candy at Walmart!

OMW, what a fun way to get a compliment. It’s amazing how some comments can reinforce what we’re doing without the person knowing it.

Christmas is coming and Marie's not getting fat, no one put a penny in Kodiak's hat. See if you can find the well known melody.

I am in the best mood. Why I am sure is Christmas, DD is coming up tonight, we’re going skiing tomorrow, we see DGS on Christmas thru Sunday, we’re going to Crater Lake snowshoeing on Saturday. DS is getting married a week from tomorrow. Going skiing at Tahoe next week. Wow, life is good. What’s interesting about my list is how many are activity/exercise related. Pretty amazing since a couple years ago I was a fat couch potato. Really, life is wonderful.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #11  
Heidi

Marie: Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat, put a little penny in the old man's hat. If you haven't got a penny then a half-pence sure will do. If you haven't got a half-pence then God bless you. How do I even know this??? I have pulled it out of the deep recesses of my brain. It must be some old nursery rhyme that I read as a child. -- elapsed time -- okay, so I just looked it up, they made a song out of this??? I'm sure it must be in Mother Goose's nursery rhyme book that I had as a child; that's the only way I would know it so instinctively like I do. I am so happy that you are in such a great mood!! Lots of great stuff coming to you in the next couple of weeks -- enjoy! You are no fat couch potato... how wonderful!

OnMyWay - I love the story! How affirming for you!

Petra - I hope you have a great trip today!

Last edited by newleaf123; 12-23-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #12  

Lamb-awesome job on the weight loss!

I don't leave for my trip until tomorrow because I am still on call until 7 am tomorrow morning! Today was so awful it made up for all the easier days I've had this week. 6 admissions so far. We did 4 of them before I left the hospital. I suspect it is related to the holiday and dysfunctional families.......similar to the Thanksgiving theme.

My favorite way to consume whey protein is in smoothies made with greek yogurt, frozen berries, protein powder and davinci sugar free syrup. There is also a chocolate one I like that involves Hood Calorie Countdown Chocolate Milk. I drink the yogurt one for breakfast probably at least once a week.

Everyone have a great holiday if I don't get to check in again for a few days. As ICU reminds us, its a holiDAY not a holiWEEK.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #13  
Deb

Marie, i hope your celebrations are wonderful. I know you're excited about skiing and your family - hope it's everything you wished for!

OnMyWay- what a neat perspective to get - hearing from another. Your mind will catch up with your body soon enough...

Petra - my fave smoothie is choc. whey, natural pb, fat free milk, ice and honey/or splenda..yummy! safe travels to you - and maybe i'll see you!

CAT - you out there girlie? Hope everything is going well for you - check in when you can

New Leaf - congrats on avoiding the candy

Hydra, Penguine and Maggie, I know you always get to check in often - but thinking of you as well

--
got my long run (4 miles) in last night...legs feel surprisingly good this morning - but I struggled with mile 3. It's okay - as a new runner, I have to understand improvement comes with training

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it - we head to my sister's this evening
Old 12-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #14  

Newleaf-thanks for the compliments. I couldn't see much improvement in my pictures except for my face. I think I still look like a cow but we are always harder on ourselves than others are.

I weighed today since I won't have access to a scale for over a week and I finally get to claim that elusive number that I keep seeing but never on the right day!

I'm in the airport and I think my plane just got here so I guess I better get off the computer so I can be ready when they say they are ready for boarding. Have a great holiday everyone and I'll try to check in from Philly. Hopefully I'll get to meet lambchop in person.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #15  
Deb

Petra, have a great flight...my cold is on it's way out of here, so i should be fine!