Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #76  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Newleaf,
Sounds like December was good to you! Having the trip to look forward to is a great motivator to continue to exercise regularly. You know what kind of shape you need to be in to enjoy yourself. Keep up the great work! Good luck with DH. Fortunately for me, my husband is an avid walker. We don't usually walk together because I can't keep up with him! The few times this summer that I tried to walk with him, I heard too often that I was slowing him down! Decided for the sake of our marriage I was better to exercise by myself!

WLW, hope you and DS are feeling better soon!

Cruise, Craigslist is a great resource! We sold a car a couple years ago, I was amazed at the number of replies we had in such a short time.

Peanutsmom, I love my Wii fit! It's alot of fun and you don't realize you are exercising!

Spent the day at the mall with DD and a friend. Found some great deals. Did splurge on a box of Godiva chocolates for only $1.87. Know that wasn't the best choice but am confident that I can make the box last a long time. They are not something I can eat more than one of at a time!

Last edited by Onmyway; 12-30-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Wow, this has been a busy place the past couple days. I'm not even sure I can respond to everyone. Welcome to all the newcomers.

Marie-have a great time in Tahoe. That is one place I've never been and would love to visit. One of these days......

I just got home from my trip. Checked out my menu for the next few days. I will be eating wild boar this weekend so my interesting menu starts right away. I was reading The Omnivore's Dilemma on the plane-quite an eye opener. I also bought a book on Middle Eastern food during my trip-its kind of part anthropology, part cookbook. I like that part-learning about the culture and tradition behind the food.

I have recently found I like fencing on my Wii. That's on the Wii Resort sports if you have that. You can burn some calories doing that. I love to shoot things with my Wii which is my biggest vice. My favorite Wii game is called Link's cross bow training. I can play it for hours if I'm not careful-not particularly strenuous but takes some skill. I have gold medals on all but 2 levels.

There's a reason for my obsessive meal planning beyond pure obsessiveness. Because I am on call at least once a month-I need to have what I'm eating that week planned well in advance so I'm not caught off guard. That is notoriously the week that will trip me up if I'm not on top of it. I try to either have stuff in the freezer that I can just pull out or have some of my quick and easy stuff on the menu so I don't have to stress over food that week.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #78  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

Height: 5'9"

Welcome to the new members! This website has helped me in so many ways. All the success stories, recipes, healthy eating tips, feedback, etc has really made a difference in my weight loss journey.

My family and I had a nice holiday and I am looking forward to New Years Eve. I will be babysitting my granddaughter and watching movies with her and my bf. My parents are in town from Florida and will be visiting new years day.

With all the goodies and rich food around me this month, I feel like a did good job of staying on plan. Sure, I ate unhealthy food but just a tiny portion. Reading this thread I see that so many people are staying dedicated.
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #79  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmyway View Post
Cassie, I find the trick to eating crackers is to look at the serving size, count out the number of crackers and put the box away. I'm a big fan of cheezits and this is the way I have been eating them since starting to lose.
If I am being conscious about what I'm shoving in my mouth I put the box away. Otherwise... I also love cheezits and will measure out a serving of those, 1/2 a serving of nuts and 1/2 a serving of craisins and make myself a little snack baggie to munch on. YUM!

CAT: Dh just asked me if I'd like to book another cruise for 2011. Ah, YES! We're thinking Caribbean this time! WOOHOO!!!

And welcome all the new peeps!

Last edited by cassieroll; 12-30-2009 at 11:28 PM.
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #80  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

WOO HOO is right Cassie, any idea where you want to go or are you like me and it's all about the deals. What about Cruise line, personally I'm loyal to none.

Heidi - Copper Canyon looks very cool. Mack and I will have to put that one on our list; might have to wait until retirement and living in Mexico.

WLW - Sure hope you both feel better. If you ever make it out west let me know, I can show you around some of the non touristy areas.

OMW - I did good this season and didn't have to set foot in a mall. Most of my shopping was done online. I'm not much of a shopper and I really don't like crowds.

Hydra - hope you enjoy your visit with your parents. I think most of us indulged over the holidays, the good news is we are here and moving forward.

Petra - Planning makes a huge difference for me especially when I am traveling. It is one of those things I will have to really be mindful of when we start taking the trailer out. So Fencing for Wii??? I'll have to check it out.

Mack is still in bed so this will probably be the only time for me to get on today. We have a busy weekend planned; short hike today after getting the tires replaced on the trailer. No plans for tonight, we really do not like being out, way too many drunks on the roads that and the dogs don't do well with fire crackers and gun shots going off. For those with dogs..... New Year's Eve/Day is the second busiest day at the shelter for lost dogs, second to July 4th.

Well Mack is up and I still have not fed the dogs, hope you all have a good weekend. I'm sure I'll find a few minutes to check back in.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #81  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

ICU- i like to zone out with computer games when i've got a full mind - so i can relate to your video games

Marie - hope Tahoe is great, and congrats on your son's wedding! Hope it's a magical day for everyone

Losing 80- Welcome - looking forward to getting to know you more

Chubster - remember, each day is a new day....put what you did behind you, and move on...it's life. Congrats on hitting the gym again.

Jeanie - the Walk Away the Pounds videos are really a nice alternative, enjoy!

On My Way - what a nice idea with the slide show, and smart thinking making stuff ahead

Peanuts- you'll be surprised how fast you rack up your time! 3 months will go super fast

Cat- love your to hike list idea...not sure of distances, but if you've not been to Sedona - it is AMAZING, and beautiful

WLW - shhh, i'll tell you a secret, I keep a notepad open and respond one at a time on it as I read, then cut and paste it to the reply box. Easier to remember everyone this way!

NewLeaf - i need moderation too...i can't do all or nothing, or i go into panic mode - really proud of how great you're doing on your stairmaster

Petra- wild boar! Wow, let us know what you think of it...glad you safely arrived home

Hydra- great job staying on plan, and enjoy the family time

Cassie- great surprise, and you could be at goal by then too!
---

Ran my first 5 mile run last night...and amazingly didn't wake up sore. I'm excited I did it, but I was exhausted when I finished! My weight is holding steady, and I decided to have my special brownie last night after my run. I figured my metabolism would be fired up like crazy, so it was a good time to finally enjoy it - and as a reward for finishing a 5 mile run! (my first ever!) - it was so good, but it was plenty, also - didn't feel like I needed more - just enjoyed the nice treat.
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #82  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

OnMyWay – I hear you re: for the sake of the marriage. That’s why DH and I have agreed to never paint a room again, and it’s been 17 years since we painted the last one!

Petra – Welcome home! I’m glad you had a great trip… I have not read Omnivore’s Dilemma, but it’s always been in the back of my mind… Maybe soon.

Hydra – Hi! I’m glad you had a great holiday, and nice job for staying on plan! How incredible it must be to have 4 generations together… That’s not something that I have ever experienced. Enjoy!

CassieRoll – Enjoy planning your cruise! We only go on them when my father-in-law takes us; they are taking us on an Alaska cruise this summer. We are all really excited about it!

CruiseCAT – I hope your hike today goes well and that you have a wonderful weekend!

LambChop – Wow, a 5-mile run!! That’s something that I haven’t done since my college days. You are such an inspiration! Let me just say it again, Wow! I can’t even imagine… And, I’m glad you enjoyed the brownie; it sounds like the whole affair was splendid!

Here, I’ve been spending my morning reflecting on the year, and what a great year it’s been. I feel very fortunate. I’m looking forward to a wonderful 2010! Happy New Year, everyone!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #83  

Lambchop-congrats on that 5 mile run! you go girl! Glad you enjoyed your brownie.

I'm going to pick up my babies shortly. Will be nice to have them home with me. I'm planning on making some very mediterranean things this weekend for future use-a chile paste called harissa, pomegranite molasses which you make from boiling down pomegranite juice, and preserved lemons. Very popular in moroccan food which is my favorite of all the mediterranean cuisines-and really my favorite ethnic cuisine period. I'm making my wild boar in pomegranite cherry sauce. Should be interesting. I think I probably won't be eating a lot of pork in the future-finding clean sources of pork is probably the most challenging.

I also want to try to eat more soup this year. Soup is unusually filling for any of you who have read volumetrics. One of the tricks of that approach is to eat a cup of soup before lunch and dinner to fill yourself up with mostly water and gives you that headstart on your brain registering that you have eaten. I also have a hard time getting as many veggies into my menu as I would like and this is a good way to get some extras-provided it is a vegetable based soup and I like soup. I'm going to try to make 1 soup a week. We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #84  
If its to be its up to me

S/C/G: 225/184/155

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone!
I've been lurking more than posting lately but, now I am posting my news everywhere on this forum - or so it seems. I just hit onederland!
I posted my thoughts on a new thread in the 40's support titled "I reached my first goal" I even posted a couple face shots.

Thanks for being here - You've all helped me more than you know.
AlleyTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #85  

Congrats Alley! and what a great day to do it!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #86  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

So, who knew that the ENTIRE WORLD would be out grocery shopping, going to the post office and liquor store this afternoon??? I was caught completely by surprise by that...

But anyway, I noticed for the first time ever that the supermarket carries one of my most favorite candies ever -- those fancy licorices from Australia. I thought they were harder to come by; sometimes Target has them, sometimes not. And this one little gourmet grocery I occasionally buy fruit at. I looked at them, I pondered them, I reminded myself that the problem is that I can't stop at one, I walked away from them, I thought about how maybe this time I could have just one a day until they were gone (ha!), I reminded myself that it's a special time of year, I reminded myself I could always get them another time if I so desired, I finished my grocery shopping, I went back to that side of the store because I forgot a loaf of bread, I thought about them again, and...

I walked away!!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #87  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Way to go Newleaf! That's a major NSV if I have ever heard of one!
I too was amazed at the number of people at the grocery and post office today! In Missouri personal property tax payments must be post marked by today so I'm thinking that is why.

Alley, Welcome to Onederland. That's a huge milestone and a great feeling!

Petra, I am a big fan of soup! One I agree that it's filling and 2 it's easy to toss a bunch of stuff in the crockpot and dinner is done while you do other things!

Lambchop, Glad you enjoyed your brownie. I couldn't remember who was saving the brownie! I think that;s a great story!

Cruise, I'm with you, no big plans for us tonight.

Hydra, great job staying on track thru the holidays! You are doing so well, 40 pounds is when I first started getting comments about losing. Hope you are getting some compliments!

Cassie, a cruise is a great incentive to stick to plan!

Busy day cooking ahead for Saturday's party. Spent some time with the Wii before meeting a friend for coffee this am.

Hope everyone has a great New Years!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 152/149.8/118

Height: 5'2"

Newleaf...what you did in the grocery store was fabulous!!!! I hope I remember to summon it next time I'm in the freezer aisle thinking about Ben and Jerry.

Lambchop...congratulations on the 5 miles!!! My husband has run 3 marathons (finished 2) and says that if you can run 3 miles, you can run 26. I know you are training for a half, and you will absolutely do it!! 2010 will be your banner year...

I have been pretty good the past couple of days, working out and eating pretty clean. I feel better, and I know there is no magic pill...just meal by meal; day by day. And I am feeling confident that a little slip-up will not sabotage my whole effort. That's thanks to all of you, who I see are able to see the big picture.

I'm really grateful I found this site...I have very good vibes that a good mindset and all of you will set me straight. And as I said when I first joined...I look forward to paying it forward!!!!

Happy, healthy new year everyone!!
chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #89  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Happy New Year all! My plans fell through so I watched the ball drop home alone, which is ok : ) I was disappointed because I don't go out much and spent more money then I should have on an outfit. (not super dressy and I can wear it to work or wear the pieces w/ multiple other items) Am busy watching a totally inspiring marathon on ustream...strides across texas (www.stridesacrosstexas.org) where a dj from houston has been running across texas in support of children with cancer. 30+ miles a day for 13 days. Almost 500 miles total! Now that's some dedication! Kevin ran in memory of a family friend who died of cancer at age 6 on wednesday and little Ryan's family as well as my niece and nephew went out to join him on part of the run. Maybe next year I could actually go out and run a mile with him....

I came across this website on forming new habits today http://6changes.com. Towards the bottom of the "quick start guide" is a link for a mantra in pdf that you can print out. I thought it was kind of neat : )

Lamb, Newleaf and Ally, way to go!
Hydra, good to see you!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote