Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

thanks so much for the welcomes! I am really looking forward to getting to know everyone and learn my way around. and of course, being a loser.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome Peanustmom and Jeanie-great group of ladies

OMW-isn't fitting into smaller clothes great!

Marie-thanks for filling in the details. I would have never been able to put together that story on my own. Hope you are all able to work out an arrangement that works for everyone-most importantly DGS. Love the pictures. Your dogs are hysterical

CAT-I wish I had a dog/house sitter. I did when I lived in PA but I don't anymore so my babies now have to go to the kennel. I board them at my vet which is nice. Usually they don't seem to mind but this time when I took them, my Lab tried to leave with me. He knew what was going on. Made me sad.

Lamb-nice meeting you in person for lunch yesterday. We actually look like we could be related

I suppose I am probably more compulsive too-I make a joke about this being a requirement for medical school admission. Almost all doctors are obsessive/compulsive to some degree and I would have to say that is a good thing in general. I can get very obsessive when losing weight too which bothers me at times. I plan my meals weeks in advance but I have learned to do it on one or two saturdays and then I'm done. I just put the calendar away and look at it when its time to make/prepare those meals. I still think the sugar thing falls into the addiction category at least for me.

Chubster-portion control is huge. The diet I follow actually tries to teach portion control as part of the plan. They recommend using bowls and plates of particular sizes and learning to fill your plate with a certain portion of protein, veggie, grain, etc. Tries to get us to be less obsessive (weighing and measuring everything) and learn to eat like normal people. That is one aspect of the program I really like. Also helps when you are other places-you can look at the plate and kind of eyeball it.

Went to visit a friend yesterday in PA who has cancer. I was totally caught off guard when I called her on the phone yesterday to find out if she would be around so that I could see her while I was in the area and she told me she had been sick most of the last year. She looked really good when I saw her which was reassuring. I'm really glad I got to see her while I was home.

Time for me to get up and do something productive today.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #63  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Morning Gang,

Ran 2.5 miles last night - and I'm also down another pound. Otherwise, nothing new here....

---

OnMyWay - hope you enjoyed your lazy day. The mall we were at was MOBBED! The mall my aunt went to yesterday she said was quiet...crazy how they can be so different! Hope everything went smoothly for you

Marie- my compulsions come out in other ways (planning, travel, work related, details)...but yeah, it's a fine line with food. At least you've found a way to bottle it and use it towards something healthy like exercise.

Chubster - that's funny about the hairdresser, my aunt just said something a few weeks ago that cracked me up, she said at 60 - it's bangs or botox...to look younger, ROFL...I've had bangs since i was 12, and not a botox type of girl, so i'll just go with natural i guess. You are correct about things going on, i'm fortunate enough to get weekly readouts as to my body changes..it's really helped me see things happen inside, even when you don't see them. Congrats on getting moving again!

Jeanie - glad to have you with us, welcome and congrats on getting motivated

CAT - met my husband online also - we've been together 9.5 years, and married for almost 7 now. --- and for those reading this, CAT moves and takes pics of really cool places as she does! WTG on all your hard work

Petra - so glad we met. I'm chatty, so hope I wasn't overwhelming at all! My friends who've known me in person would probably say I'm "animated", LOL - really enjoyed talking with you - also Tosca Reno was the clean eating woman I was trying to think of -- I'm glad your visit went well yesterday with your friend. (hugs)
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #64  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Hi everyone! I know I've been AWOL lately, but life has been plugged full of family stuff. I'm not the greatest at non-stop socializing, so for the few minutes I have had, I've been indulging a bad habit (video games).

I read through this week's thread, and want to offer a welcome to our "newbies" - hang around, share your experiences, and learn!

Sounds like all the "veterans" are sticking reasonably to the plans as made - that's a major victory in its own right! I've been "better than I expected but not as good as I'd like to be". The scale has not budged in either direction despite my deliberate choice not to journal or count. No swimming either, which is the one disappointment. The big realization of the week has been that "holiday" is NOT eqiuvalent to "vacation". I'm actually looking forward to getting back to work and the routine ... scary!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #65  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Chubster, you can get back in the exercise groove. To get me started, I logged what I did, gave the workout a $$$ value and aimed for a great reward. It worked. I still log it (I’m a database manager so I created a database) but I just now am amazed at the numbers. I bought my elliptical in March and yesterday I had 4550 minutes so far this year. Seeing that is so motivating to keep going.

Welcome jeanies! You’ve already lost 14 pounds and are inspirational. I’m glad you joined us.

Lamb, sounds like you and Petra had a nice time. I’ve met a 3FC friend several times in Portland and I just adore her and her husband.

Cruise, I will be passing on to my daughter your there is always hope because she was very depressed this weekend seeing her beloved child changing so radically and not for the good.

Petra, I’m glad you got to see your friend. My college friend has cancer and it’s not a good outlook. I’m hoping she’ll be around when I get back to Minnesota next summer. I’m pretty sure you’d never have put it together completely since I never gave complete details.

YEAH lamb on another pound. You have so much to be excited about – running and losing weight. I’m so thrilled for you. BTW, I just put bangs back at Thanksgiving. I’m loving how it hides the wrinkles.

ICU, you made me smile with the vacation vs. holiday. I’ve learned I do way better over vacations than the holidays.

Only 6.5 more hours of my work week. Tomorrow we head to Tahoe. Fun, fun, fun. I ca’t believe my baby, DS is getting married!

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Default Hiya! new member here...

Mid-40s and feeling it today! Who the heck stole my metabolism?!?! Give it back! Funny, I still see myself as that 20-something who could bend from the waist and root around in the bottom file drawer. Now I can't see past my waist, let alone bend it. <insert wistful lol here>

I like to see so many posts in this chat. I sure can use the reminder there are other folks out there with similar challenges, and some really amazing success stories. How are ya'll using this chat thread? General chat during the week, stop by to check in on folks...? There's a lot happening in the forums and I'm still trying to feel my way around. Thx!
Losing80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 152/149.8/118

Height: 5'2"

Hi Girls...checking in! Needing a little inspiration, as I ate too much meatloaf last night, and again today.

What do I do about cravings??? Today I gave in...I had the meatloaf and then wanted something sweet...that's how it goes for me. So I had a greek fat-free yogurt with flax seed, pecans and carob chips. It did the trick, but also did some damage, I'm sure. I'm just lucky I did not have ice cream or cookies in the house. I tried to talk myself into a diet hot chocolate, but couldn't.

I did, however, hit the gym again, so that was good.

Welcome, Losing 80! I've been here a few days, but already feel at home. My metabolism went to the same place as yours!

Marie - what did you get yourself as your reward? Sounds like a great idea!

GTG...getting picked up for dinner, and have to dry my probably-now-too-dark-hair, since I just colored the roots!!
chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #68  

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubster View Post
Hi Jean...I joined within the week, and am finding inspiration through everyone here. You and I are the same height and have the same goal! I do not know what I weigh. I was weighed last week by my nutritionist, but kept my eyes closed. At some point I'll learn the news and let you all know.

How are you getting the pounds off? Looks like you are off to a great start!
Hi chubster,
I am finding lots of inspiration here too. My diet has been all over the place but mostly low carbish. When I am working out regularly I do Leslie Sansone dvds and some resistance work. During the summer when I lost most of my weight I was doing brisk outdoor walking instead of Leslie. It is so cool to find someone my age and height here! We can do this!
jeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #69  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Just a quick note to welcome all our newcomers, to say how envious I am re: Petra and LambChop getting to have lunch together, and to wish Marie's son a wonderful wedding!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #70  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Lots of newcomers! The more the merrier! This is a great group. I consider myself very lucky to be part of this thread! I know alot of my success this year has been because of the support and encouragement from this board!

Marie, Have a great time in Tahoe. Enjoy the wedding. Can't wait to see some pics, I'll bet you will look awesome as mother of the groom!

ICU, Glad to see you back, I'm with you, I've done better than expected but could have been better. I'm not going to stress, once I'm back in school and the routine is there, I'll be more focused. In the meantime I'm enjoying my time off!

Lambchop, Another pound down! Way to go! Glad you and Petra had a nice visit. I'm a little jealous too!

Petra, Planning meals for weeks in advance, we're lucky to know what's for dinner at 5:00 each night! LOL Glad you had a good visit with your friend.

Chubster, great effort getting to the gym 2 says in a row! You'll have a habit before you know it!

Losing80, We all are very different but do seem to have alot of challenges in common here. Welcome!

Jeanies, 3 pounds is a great start. I also have a family history of heart disease and diabetes. Last year I finally realized I was the only one that could change my future. Your name brought a smile to my face, Jeanie was my mom's name.

Peanutsmom, LOL, this is the only place where being a loser is cool!

I'm getting ready for DH's birthday party this weekend. I've made several appetizers and froze them to make things easier. Today I scanned a bunch of pics and put together a slide show. Just showed DH, he really liked it!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #71  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
I still log it (I’m a database manager so I created a database) but I just now am amazed at the numbers. I bought my elliptical in March and yesterday I had 4550 minutes so far this year. Seeing that is so motivating to keep going.
the Wii Fit logs the time you spend on it, and I totally agree with tracking that being a good motivator. For example, if I've done 27 minutes, then I am very motivated to go for that extra 3 minutes. I've only had it a little over a week so I can't wait to see what I can get to in a month, and 3 months, etc.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #72  

hi jeanies -

I'm a Leslie Sansone fan too! I have the videos somewhere, but it's also on my cable On Demand (for free) so I've been using it there.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #73  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Morning ladies.... I love that we have so many newcomers that are motivated to make changes. Helps bring me back to what worked for me when I first came around. Once again I'm excited about getting healthy.

Did a little GeoCaching yesterday with a friend and her two kids and had a blast. I love living in the desert and being able to be outdoors most days.

Petra - I found my house/pet sitter on CraigsList. I was VERY hesitant but was very surprised that I only had two weirdos respond. Most were young ladies that are students looking for a little income. I ran the ad for 36 hours and had about 15 respond. Out of those I personally interviewed and ran background checks on 6. Of those there was only a couple that I would not use; mainly because of immaturity. I really like the young lady that we hired and we also have a backup.

Marie - Congratulations to your son. Enjoy Tahoe!!!

OMW - Happy birthday to DH!!

LC - Thank you, I love sharing California with others. I know before I moved here all I knew about were the big cities.

PeanutesMom - Do you have a favorite Wii workout? I love doing the boxing and the aerobics.

Chubster - When I've eaten poorly for several days the cravings return. When I'm ready to get back to clean eating I have to eliminate my triggers for a minimum of five days. I'm one of the lucky ones that once I have cleared my system I am able to enjoy the occasional treat.

Heidi - When are you thinking about doing the Grand Canyon? Do you have a plan yet?

Mack and I have started our "To Hike List" and would love suggestions. With Mack having every other weekend as a three dayer we are looking at places that are within a days drive (less than 500 miles 300 is even better) from Southern California. We are also looking forward to doing some of the Pacific Crest Trail; getting dropped off at one location and being picked up 20-40 miles down the trail. It's been years since we did any back county camping and I am SOOOO excited.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #74  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Wow, so much going on it's hard to keep up! DS18 and I are both sick so it's off to the dr this afternoon : ( I think I have an ear infection and he's got a bad cold, was running a pretty high temp the other night. I haven't been sick since I had the whooping cough 2 years ago, think we caught it from the grandbabies.

Marie: I had my own interpretation of what was going on, and was fairly close : ) My best friend and I decided years ago that there's no longer such a thing as a "normal" family. We both have some Jerry Springer-ish stuff going on with ours. So welcome to the club! All we can do is love them, pray for them, and do what we can to support them.

Cat: I'l come puppy sit for you sometime, just so I can finally say I've been to California : ) I was supposed to go there after high school with a friend but got married instead : )
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #75  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

WeightlossWanted, I hope you and your son feel better soon!

CruiseCAT, your weekend hikes with Mack sound wonderful... Just today I asked my DH to please make time to exercise... I'm worried that if he isn't exercising now, by the time he retires he won't be in good physical shape to enjoy the kind of life we want to lead. My parents have a very active retirement, as does his mother. His father does not because he doesn't take care of his body. I don't want to see DH fall victim to that. Luckily he's in good health, reasonably fit, and thin -- but still, if you don't exercise, your body can seize up on you... As for the Grand Canyon, it's actually Copper Canyon in Mexico (fly in and out of Los Mochis). We're (my sister and I) mentally committed to the hike in October 2010 and plan to throw our money behind that commitment around the March timeframe. I'm focusing on the stairmaster as my primary form of exercise because it's 7,000 feet down into the canyon, and then 7,000 feet back out so I'm imagining it will be arduous. Today I upped it to 25 minutes, which was pretty difficult, so I think I'll stay there for a while. My goal is to get to 40 minutes on the stairmaster, and then start alternating between the stairmaster, elliptical, and treadmill.

I think I've finally let go of having an all-or-nothing mentality. December has been a good month for me where I've enjoyed things in moderation and lost a couple of pounds. If I were to lose a couple of pounds every month, I would be past my goal by this time next year. How hard can that be??? LOL
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote