Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #46  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Julie - your post made me ! Whatever it takes, it takes. As Nike says, "Just Do It." And really, aren't you always glad you took the time, when you're done?

lamb - I'm a "subclinical hypothyroid", as in all my blood tests were within acceptable ranges, but I still had nearly every symptom of an underperforming thyroid. My new doctor is kind of retro - he strongly recommends natural remedies, and freely admits that medicine is a "practice". So he started me on Armour a year and a half ago, and what a huge difference - it's night and day. I'm also supplementing iodine, and may try some heavy metal chelation to see if it's possible to heal my thyroid and maybe get off the meds at some point. There's some murky stories about why Armour is in short supply at the moment - either Forest Labs (the mfr) reformulated the fillers without permissions or some kind of cert, all the way to the FDA has been bought off by the makers of the synthetics to crack down on the natural stuff (like they did with the expectorant cough syrups) and is demanding millions of dollars in efficacy testing despite a "grandfathering" of natural thyroid. Regardless ... I can't get it, so instead of limply prescribing a synthetic, my dr referred me to a compounder. I started taking the new version, and while from a thyroid perspective it seems to me to be exactly the same ... I've coincidentally stopped craving my triggers (chip-like crunchy/fat/salty) at the same time. Don't know - just grateful!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #47  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

k, thanks for the scoop...i've been on the generic of synthroid for 20 years - but my numbers are always off, so we're always having to raise my dose...my numbers are always all over...
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #48  
Recovering Pantry Pest

lamb - ugh! I wonder ... and probably Petra can provide some valuable insight ... if some of the thyroid stuff may settle down too, as you clear your system and come back to health? Endocrinology is such a complex topic, and now I've read that fat cells themselves are excreting hormones (estrogen pre- or post-cursor??). I love to read the studies; I'm just not good at remembering details. I do know that there are a lot of "old" doctors out there who remember times before Armour was a stable preparation and varied in potency, but that had been fixed for a long time. A lot are still reluctant to prescribe it, and I guess now it's a moot point.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #49  
Deb

35 mins running, plus 5min warm up, 5 min cool down -- DONE!

ICU - thanks for the input. I'll be thrilled to get good numbers. I get my bloodwork run every 3 months, so they watch it...I think if we can get this in order, I'll have to visit an endicrinologist again. haven't been to one in years, since first diagnosis...and with all that metabolic stuff going on, it would make good sense.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #50  
Deb

sometimes you just get to the point where you're like...enough...and just ignore it all -- sometimes when i just take care of myself, i do better than all those visits! LOL
Old 12-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Some people are sensitive to generic synthroid. You may want to get the brand. You are also supposed to take it on an empty stomach-30 minutes before eating. And there are some people who believe you should take a mixture of T4 and T3 which might be good for you. Synthroid or levothyroxine is T4 only. T3 is the active form of the hormone. If you go see an endocrinologist again, you may want to ask about it.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #52  
Deb

thank you for the information...i think i've taken both the regular and generic over the years, not sure if i noticed a difference or not.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #53  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Down another 1.6 for a total of 5.6 this week. Time for the real work to begin.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 12-05-2009 at 08:08 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I'm now seeing 149.0-149.5 on a regular basis - it's settling in and getting comfy, I guess! Didn't move even this morning despite a hard swim last night and early TOM. You know you've gotta be happy with approaching the end of the loss phase when a "stall" doesn't incite rage!
I so know what you mean This morning I saw 135, and I thought, isn't it so nice when you see a new low weight for the second time (a week later)? That's when it feels like it's here to stay. It's a totally different reaction than, gah, I'm *still* at the same weight.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #55  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Wow, Julie ... way to go! I dimly remember the 130's but don't know if that would be a good look for me. I'm curious about whether or not I could go that far, (or would want to) ... but it might be fun to find out what it would look like. Keep up the yoga!

CAT - wow, 5.6 in a week is a rare jewel - enjoy the ride! Sure ... it's vacation, but the thrill of the drop is still a lot of fun! Dig in for Christmas and power on through that year anniversary coming up.

I'm reverting tonight. I do it in full acknowledgement that I may not be seeing 140's tomorrow when I get up. I'll p*ss and moan and make a salad for lunch. (grumpy).
Old 12-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #56  
Deb

Congrats Julie...I had that same exact thing happen to me today...only my number was 235! LOL It still felt so good - because it was the second day the scale stayed at 235. Happy the scale stuck for you!!!

Lost an inch in my hips and waist...was happy and surprised.

Have a run scheduled for today, and going out to eat last night was a non-issue, nice salad with protein - was happy and satisfied.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #57  
I'm in here somewhere!

S/C/G: 215/tracker/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Happy Sunday everyone!
I am so glad to be back in here.
I managed to get over the flu and not gain any weight. Today I am doing my 30 mins of walking/running. Going to back track on my C25K plan to W2. I love that program!
I started a food log. You guys mentioned these things a few times. Wow, I write down all the calories etc. and I KNOW if I am lying! hee hee It'll be neat to see how my eating will change and (hopefully!) get better over time.
I also saved up enough $ to join a gym - something I had hoped to do in November but am doing now.
I read all your posts and you are inspirational as always!
Thanks for being here Chickies!!
RealMeSomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

CruiseCAT, that's amazing

lambchop, inches are the best!

I'm barely hanging on to my yoga schedule, but today was day #3 seeing 135, yay . I'm curious to see what the scale will do when I start getting some of my muscle back, so I'd better start taking measurements again.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #59  
Deb

good luck with your run RealMe..i was doing the c25k - great program!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #60  
I'm in here somewhere!

S/C/G: 215/tracker/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Thanks lambchop! I did do my run on Sunday and I have indeed added weights to my workouts. And CONGRATS to you for the loss of inches! I have always been too afraid to measure anything on this sad body of mine.

And I am proud to say I have had 3 good days in a row of good food and no night time snacking!

Julie - I hope your yoga goal is going smoothly.

Hope all of you are having good weeks so far.
RealMeSomeday is offline   Reply With Quote