Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #16  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I spent 1:20 min on the treadmill. I wasn't intending THAT long of a workout, but I got involved in a movie. {Sabrina and Linus got together once again! } I walked 8,311 steps.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #17  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

Height: 5'9"

I have been really busy the past several days with work (I am the asst mgr of a mental health phone support line) and the regular old family stuff. I wrote down what I ate but was lax on checking calories and today I am back to checking calories.

The scale is not budging right now and I think I need to pay closer attention to portions, staying under my calories and exercise! So many of you are doing such varied exercise programs, it inspires me to do more than just walk at work on breaks. I have asked my boyfriend to start walking with me at night and he said he would....we walked a big 15 minutes tonight, lol. I will keep at it and do my best and hopefully that scale will budge on Thursday when I weigh in.
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #18  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Hi everyone! I've been on and off the last couple of days. Had a very good day today until I got home from school and then I started snacking. Felt bad about it so I skipped dinner. Rode the exercise bike while I watched Biggest Loser trying to make up for it. Tomorrow will be a better day. I just want to get back into the "zone". I almost feel like I am thinking about it all too much! Does anyone else ever feel that way?

Welcome back Velveteen! Thanks for posting your pics! Keep up the good work!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

Velveteen: you look great! Thanks for sharing such inspiring progress pics!

Marie: I can't run either. For me, it's Iliotibial Band Syndrome. I have some small hope that when I lose the weight, the physiology will change and I'll recover that ability. But no way to know until I get there.
You are addicted to exercise! There are worse things, of course, but take care of yourself and your lungs! Glad the smoke is gone.

ICUwishing: yay for being at ticker weight!

patchworkpenguin: sounds like a great exercise plan! Do you watch the original Sabrina or the remake?

Hydra: you're doing a great job of working yourself through this plateau. I'm sure a little tweak here and there will get things going again.

Onmyway: I'm no where near to the place where I'm thinking too much! But I can imagine getting to that place of knowing what works and just doing it. I'm sure you'll work it out!

Busy day, today. Prepping for landscape class, prepping for a conference next week, a visit from our HVAC guy to map out some next steps, landscape class. But I have a food plan and think I have a strategy to sneak in some exercise, so we'll see how it goes.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #20  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Renee - welcome back! Love your new avatar - your face looks thinner! Journaling - thumbs up! It's the key thing for me.
Heidi - maybe you don't like the exercise, but you are certainly getting it done!
hydra - I love artistic jewelry - would love to see some pics!
wyndy - welcome aboard!
Cindy - waiting to hear how your appts went. Dentist sounds like a nightmare, grrrr!
gardener - farm tour sounded fun! Getting outside this time of year is the best - no sweating, less bugs!
dmc - it takes a while to get all of the pieces in place. You've identified your core problem (nights). If you're tracking it, you know about how many calories that night snacking is costing you. So spend a week and make the goal to cut those calories in half - not eliminate them. And cut it in half again each next week. It's a habit, nothing more. The Fat Queen that I am also suggests that you review that journal to see if there's something in your dinners that's not satisfying you. I know that fat is calorically dense, but it's also very satisfying.
pres - salsa's the lowfat option. Cheese and peanut butter have been there. Diced tomatoes with balsamic vinegar are very good, hummus is filling (I really have to watch portion control on that one!), and I've even just scooped black beans out of the can with celery. And I agree with dmc - when the scale doesn't move, whip out the measuring tape!
vjack - your restraint with the chips is awesome. Not sure I could do it - chips are one of those banned foods for me right now.
marie - I can attest that eating 12000 calories a day requires planning! If I wasn't in the pool or in class or asleep, I had food in my mouth! Sorry to hear you're suffering and I hope it's getting better. Nothing fun about not having full lung capacity. Regarding your run-in with the neighbor, I don't know what I'd do with that. At 23 pounds off, not ONE person has said anything either way to me voluntarily.
wlw - how are you liking the food scale so far? I think I can pinpoint weighing what I eat as one of the key "aha's" in my loss - I really did have no idea what a portion was until I got one!
patch - keep kickin' butt on the treadmill! I need to find a spot for mine - DH will bellyache if it's out, but oh well. It needs to come out. I'm just boggled by your workouts - tells me how much further I have to go!
OMW - my biggest downfall hours are the ones between arriving home from work, and the start of dinner. About the "zone" - I haven't found it in 9 months so far. I've just had to accept that some small bit of attention is going to have to be devoted to what I put in my mouth, forever, cuz my intuition about food is way whacked. There's some comfort in the realization that I can either think about the way I eat, or think about how unhappy I am being overweight ... easy choice!

Another half pound down. 150's not going to be the final answer - I'm still carrying way too much fluff in my belly and thighs. I'm thinking I can probably call it the "red-line", as the maintainers say ... but still more work to do. I cannot believe how much better I feel - definitely inspired to stay down here!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #21  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

ICU, is the turtle avatar still representing the difficult time? I hope not and that things are improving. Sunday is just around the corner. And wow, no one has said anything??? No wonder you’re bummed. Compliments or just weird comments at least give reinforcement to efforts. I’d say you surround yourself with vision impaired people because 23 pounds will always be noticeable. You are doing fabulous. And congrats on the additional pound being permanently eradicated from your life.
Penguin, you are doing great with the exercise dedication. Great job!

Hydra, 15 minutes extra of walking is 15 minutes of exercise. Never discount that. Good luck with those fickle scales. Nice one day, nasty the next.

OMW, oh yes I feel I think about it too much. It’s like my life is dedicated to it and if I were a thin person I’d have nothing to think about. But when I don’t obsess (dr. description not mine) then I gain weight. So I’d rather be obsessive.

Joy, after your landscape class, please, please visit southern Oregon and landscape my yard. Pretty please!!!!

ICU and OMW, put me in the arriving home to dinner as a munchies moment. I’ve started planning my calories for breakfast and lunch to include my 165 cal protein mocha right after work so that it kills that desire to graze through my kitchen.

So my lung capacity continues to be a problem and I was a little concerned about using my elliptical. So last night I took the peak measurement before I started. I used my pro-air, ellipticalled, then took another reading. It read the same. So being the obsessive twit I am, I figured no harm no foul. I wasn’t any worse so it must be ok. Very scientific of me to get my way. Today I feel better cold/cough wise and the smoke continues to be gone so I have hope that my lungs/bronchial tubes will recover without more prednisone. I become a raving, lunatic b!tch when I take it so I try so hard to avoid it. My husband and co-workers all like when I avoid it. I will never, ever understand why people deliberately choose to take steroids.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #22  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default Hi guys....

Well, nice to see you all here again!

Cruise, sorry you are spending so much time at the dentist, but it will be worth it.

Velvetine, I am counting too, its hard! I always go over so if you have any tips for zero or one point treats, let me know. Would be appreciated.

Gardener, def. better to shop on a full tummy!

OnMyWay, working out to biggest loser seems to be a trendy thing. I know lots of people doing it! Awesome.

ICUWishing, congrats on the half pound. Wish it was me. I seem stuck!

Marie, I am not sure I would like someone to tell me that I am not skin and bones. Number one, it is so obvious in my case that it does not need to be said, and number two, it just seems...well, inappropriate and snide. I would be offended and probably would have become defensive. YOu are a bigger person than me. I probably would have clobbered'em! lol

Well, didn't lose last week, close still very lose and getting looser so I am hoping for one pound this week. Girls, I have got to get the night eating stopped. I have to close up that darn kitchen,. I don't know what the emotional big deal is that makes me do that! Ugh!

Nice to see you all!
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #23  

ICU, My folding treadmill is currently taking up space in the little used dining room. Getting it out is a pain, and putting it up is worse. Leaving it out isn't an option at all. To use it I have to move it into the middle of the living room, but then there's only a few feet to walk around to get out of the room.

Joy, It just occured to me I have a cousin named Joy. My family isn't very close; I've only met this Joy twice. I watched the remake of 'Sabrina' with Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond. I'm not a big gan of either Bogart or Audrey Hepburn so I've never been able to make it through that version.

Hydra, 15 min walk is a good start. More than I can get my Hubby to do.

It was a wee bit chilly this morning {50*}. It actually feels cool in the house today. I need to bake a birthday cake for my friend. At least with a cake I can't nibble while I bake as with last week's cookies.

Planning on workout one today.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #24  

Okay, that took longer than I thought. I just finished workout 1, which took 55 min. I took a short break {1min or so} after every 10 exercises and a few other breaks besides. {pant, pant}. I have a few exercises mixed in that spike my heartrate, such as skaters, but I prefer to concentrate on weights. Near the end I started looking at the last few exercises thinking "do I really need to do these?", LOL. But I survived. I decided to rearrange a few things, so I have arrows criss-crossing my list. I used more weights [dumbbells] ranging from 5's to 20's for legwork. I'm rather pleased that I haven't lost a lot of strength over the summer hiatus, my weights aren't exacty where they were during the beginning of the year, but they are still close. I was thinking of typing the workouts into Word so I can print a fresh sheet for each workout, and keep track of the weights I used to gauge my improvements.

I haven't baked the cake yet, lucky for me we are having leftovers for dinner.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #25  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

way to go penguin!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #26  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Patchwork, great job on the exercise! you are very dedicated!

DMC, how your clothes fit is just a big of deal as a drop on the scale. Keep at it! Do you have Trader Joe's near you. I bought some puffed corn cheese curls there. 1 1/4 cups for 1 point or 70 calories. Kind of like a white cheese cheeto. When I measured them out and put them in a bag I was surprised at how much you could have for 1 point.

Marie, Hope your breathing continues to improve. I admire your determination!

ICU, I'm bummed for you that no one has noticed you have lost over 20 pounds. Compliments are very motivating and you deserve the recognition for your efforts.

Joy, I would like more info about your CSA. Can you pm me some of the details since you are in my area?

Hydra, 15 minutes is a good start. Having someone to walk with makes the time go quicker!

Off to work! Hope everyone has a great day!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #27  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Marie and OMW - thanks for the sympathies! My mom is doing WW and we've both lost about the same ... but she's already starting in on the "you'd better stop - you're getting too thin." Um, yeah, not quite. My favorite quote was from my son - he gave me a hug and said "You're easier to get around now." Thank goodness for the community here - this support never wavers.
patch - with all those things working against you re the treadmill, I give you even more for working it in! Great job with the exercise and figuring out how to make it simpler with technology. How'd the cake baking go?
Marie - I hope your lungs are recovering, and I can appreciate why you wouldn't want to take the steroids. I've experienced the personality change second-hand when a friend had to take them - it's like Jekyll and Hyde!

32 degrees here this morning - it's officially our killing frost. I introduced DS10 to the seat heaters in my Escape this morning - he was enthralled with the idea of a warm tush.

September was a good month - 4 pounds and another inch gone. Assuming I stay with the program (and I will), October's going to mean "goal". I say "goal" because I'm not going to be done, but I think I'm going to be switching over to some measurement goals. Dunno - gotta start thinking about the "where do I go from here?". It IS a little scary; this has been my big project for 2009 and yet it's not "done". I think ... I'm going to just keep eating the way I have been, and let the weight come off. There's going to be a point where I'll be hitting maintenance at this level and it'll stop where it stops. I guess ... but I'm open to suggestions!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #28  
Green Tomatoes

ICUwishing: Yay for another 1/2 pound gone! Have you started hanging out on the maintainers thread? I'm so far from that so I haven't been there, but I've seen other posts suggesting they can be pretty helpful about how to figure out the end game.

Marie: the landscaping class went pretty well, but not well enough to start on someone else's project! We didn't make that much progress on our own, but it's defintitely a start. Glad your lungs seem to be improving a bit day by day. Clever of you to work out that the exercise didn't seem to be doing any harm.

dmc2009: have I mentioned Judith Beck's books? She's very good at about helping change behaviors like eating at night.

patchworkpenguin: Joy isn't a very common name but it's out there -- for some reason, I've run into more Joys since I got into librarianship about five years ago than I had my entire life before. Sounds like you're ready to get that workout into Word -- you'll be able to change it more easily, too.

We're having rain and thunder right now. I have chicken stock started. And tonight I'll make a Native American fall stew called sobaheg. Should be appropriate for the weather. I make the stew with salmon so it's quite nutritious.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #29  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

DMD, LOL – no clobbering. I really don’t think the comment was intended to offend or compliment. It was more a statement of facts. And it is a fact. And try journaling your thoughts and feelings before you allow yourself to take a bite at night. I’m betting after a couple journals, you’ll be able to figure out the emotional trigger.

Penguin, I’ve had that self thought of do I really need to when exercising. Last week (during my I don’t care struggle) I then said to myself (aloud even) You want this then you reach for this. I think I’m a nutcase but it worked. I’ve used it a couple times when I just wanted to eat (only one other time exercising). It’s now my mantra. Because I REALLY want it (to lose the rest).

OMW, now I’m wanting a trader joes. The puffed curls sound wonderful for mindless munching. Everyone needs a safety valve like that.

ICU, LOL at the Jekyll and Hyde. That is a truly perfect description. Today the lungs feel better. I didn’t take a measurement because it always causes a coughing fit and I was enjoying the quiet morning. And oh my gosh!!! Way to go on the 4 pounds gone. I’d be dancing on the ceiling dancin’ away if I lost 4 pounds in a month. You are doing so great. Can I offer a suggestion to answer your where to go from here. Have someone take a few straight on, level full body pictures of you. Print them out then put them on your fridge. When you look at them, I bet you’ll see what you want to do. If you’re happy with what you see, then you’re at goal and onto the maintainer stage. If not, go down a few more pounds and repeat the process. I’d thought about stopping at 149 but those full on pics made me realize that I really wasn’t done.

Joy, I’m glad you had a good time at the class. I was joking about doing our landscaping – Bambi eats everything, including the plants with the X through bambi. We live in the desert and bambi doesn’t get picky when the mountain melt off is gone about the end of June.

Today is a no elliptical day so I bummed around the house this morning and will walk the doggies with DH after work. Since it was 28 degrees this morning, I thought after work sounded better.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #30  

Joy, My cousin was adopted and they got her around Christmas so they named her Joy Noel.

ICU, The cake is baked but I have to add the choc icing. Its a Mississippi Mud cake. You bake the regular cake and while its warm top with Marshmellow Fluff, then top with choc icing. Usually the cake is hot and melts the fluff and icing together. Since I baked it yesterday hopefuly it will be better this way, less messy anyway. we could always heat the cake when we get to her house.

I had an interesting EATING BREAKTHROUGH yesterday. I came home and decided I was going to do something FUN, I don't feel I've had time to do anything fun in a while. So I walked around the house looking for something FUN to do and next thing I know I'm in the kitchen eating something. Because I never realized before that eating is FUN! I know its yummy and I like to do it but I never considered it fun before. Having realized this I'm not really sure what it means or what to do about it but its something to think about.