Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #76  
Let's Get Going!!!

Hydra, it will be over before you know it.
Patchwork, sounds great to have a yard, I have pots on my patio and now I have a wonderful little herb garden going. I just pulled up teh last of the tomatoes.
Marie, we didn't get to walk today, but monday we are so there. I am going to get my butt to a step class tonight, maybe! It is so hard knowing my DD has so much homework to do.
PressMaggie, yes, positive momentum.. its a good thing. ;-)
Gardnerjoy, I am dying for a glass of wine... hmmm, maybe I will have that instead of the gym tonight.!!! I am exhausted!

Just getting back to work after a vacation and its been a long week!

I don't have any plans this weekend, just laying low close to home. Its really hot in So. Cal and the fires are really awful for air quality.

I hope you all have lots of fun plans!
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #77  

Just wanted to say how much I love being Fabulous and 40!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #78  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Jacque - I *love* your new avatar -- you look awesome!! So very trim and fit... I'm really happy for you.
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I highly recommend the movie Julie & Julia. It's about food and love -- two of my favorite things!
I really want to see that but I'm afraid I will be hungry through the whole thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by presmaggie View Post
Jacque - you look great in your new avatar!

My boys behavior had me feeling like I wanted to run away from home yesterday. They were on their worst behavior for the last couple of days, no matter what I did or said. I just hope this passes, soon. They are finally back to school after Labor Day.
Thanks...and all I can say is Boys will be Boys!!! I know I have had days like that but now that 2 of my 3 are in college, my house is very quiet. I know I will miss the confusion, noise and everything else at some point, but I also know they will come back for breaks and summer vacay and I will ask them...."when do you go back?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I have lost 15 pounds and have been working really hard and I wanted to reward myself, so darn it, I did!!!
Rewards are a GREAT motivator!! When I got to 125 my reward was to buy some of my favorite jeans. They are a little pricey, but I'm worth it. I bought a few pairs and ironically had to send them back because I ordered the wrong size. They were too BIG!!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #79  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

TGIF, Chicks!
Sunshine - yep, I'm with you - the 40s have started out well and I have so much optimism for this decade!
Marie - sleep plays a big role in my life too. And yeah ... this "crepe" stuff is almost as disconcerting as the crop of little spider veins. My reward for the milestone I hit this morning is an appointment with a clinical dermatologist.
pres - my son just found out that 5 of his best buddies are going to be in his 5th grade class next week. Thank goodness his teacher is a seasoned veteran, cuz I've seen this gang in action - she is IN FOR IT. Or hopefully, they are.
Jacque - hope everything is still going well with your mom ... and just out of curiosity ... what brand of jeans did you get?
OMW - I read once that getting up early is easier if you hit a natural wakefulness in the sleep cycle - they're 90 minutes peak to peak for the majority of people. It suggested that you try changing the time by 15 minutes each week until you find the point where you're awake when the alarm first goes off. I tried it a long time ago - but the bad news is that it was best at 4:15am! So ... I get up at 5:45 instead, even though it does mean rushing around.
Hotsplashes - September's a great month for losing weight. Great produce, and weather that encourages outside activity. You're gonna be in the 170's with time to spare!
WLW - my mom pretty much starved herself fat for years, to the point where she was down at like 800 calories a day. She joined WW just a few months back and with the point system ... literally BOOM! 25 pounds off. Your challenge is greater with your sensitive system, but metabolism is like a bonfire - it will not rage unless you throw on the right fuel.
Auzz - My first reaction is to be jealous of your stay-at-homeness, but I need to remember I tried it twice - once for maternity leave, and once for a 9-week layoff. LOL - I don't do so hot without regular adult interaction!
patch - unbelievable! But that's 3 appliances - and maybe it's like a death trio? You're done for a while? Crossing fingers ... it'd be funny if I didn't appreciate how frustrating that is!
dmc - Fires smell good - for a minute. It can't be fun to have to live with it. Hoping they get it under control soon.
primm - did you get back out on the road yet?
Cruise - I loved the Tucker montage. Hope you're healing - I empathize.

Thoughts on TOM - OK - yes, maybe, there's a downside to the 40's. Stuff changes. And with the weight loss, that's a hormone change too, since fat generates estrogens. I know that the last couple years have been pretty aggravating for me too, and I was really hoping that all the bloodwork I had done would show something that could be fixed. But it didn't. I'm seriously considering Novasure, because I simply don't see any value whatsoever in continuing to fund P&G every month for the next 10 years (or more!), without "purpose". One of my GFs had it done and while it doesn't fix the PMS part ... it totally eliminates the mess, and for all practical purposes, is sterilization too. Dunno - I have unexpected conflicts about it. It's not necessary, by any means ... thoughts?
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Good Morning Chickies!!

Cruise: I am so sorry to hear about Tucker. My doggies and I will burn a candle for you and Tucker. You gave him a good life and loved him very much. He will be at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

DMC2: I will be disassembling my patio garden today. Tomatoes and peppers are all done. But my big garden one block down is still going strong.

GardenerJoy: I put Marigolds in my garden like I do every year.. and the did not do well at all this year! But my Zucchini's are finally growing!!lol Dr. BF actually wants to go see Julie & Julia!!!

SunshineCA: I had no problems turning 40. I love being in my 40s. I feel way more confident than I ever have. 30 was the hard one for me!lol

Jacque: Positive Reinforcement works in People as well as Dogs and Horses!!lol I either buy some clothes or make up!

ICU: I have an internal clock that wakes me up between 6 and 7 every morning... even on my days off. And if I don't get up by 8... my dogs will surely wake me up! At least I am always up in time for school!

It's the start of the long weekend and I'm having meetings all weekend. Go figure.. Publishers and Agents work 24/7. They don't believe in Holidays and Vacation! The didn't understand why I went to Cuba... uhmmm no vacation in 9 years... Yeah I was due!!lol

Haven't jumped on the scale. NOt going to until next week!

Happy Long Weekend Everyone!! School Starts Tuesday!!!
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 195/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning Everyone,

Kids had their first day of school yesterday, so its time to get going and get exercising. My goal is to loose 7 pounds in September and I will do it.

Still looking for a job and theres not alot out there, I'm even considering buying a small business to create something until this recession plays its way out.

Have a great weekend everyone. My heart goes out to those in Southern California with the heat wave and the fires.

Diane
AuzzieDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #82  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Jacque9999: Julie & Julia didn't make me hungry -- mostly butter, lobster, duck with all that fatty skin on. Not things that are triggering for me. Oh, and one of the best scenes involved a huge pile of onions!

ICUWishing: I'm sure that this wasn't your primary motivation, but an answer to not giving P&G more profits is a Diva Cup. Don't have any experience with your other option.

Hotsplashes: I hope you find a way to have a good long weekend before school starts, even with meetings.

AuzzieDee: good luck with the exercising now that the kids are back in school. Didn't you say that you're new to where you live? Walking is a great way to get to know a new place!

I had a good day yesterday, driving out to our nearly abandoned cabin for assessment and a bit of cleaning. I took a walk while I was out there and ate well because I packed my lunch. The scale rewarded me with a new low today. Today, though, I'm having an allergy reaction. So, I guess I'll take it a bit easy.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #83  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I woke up this morning knowing it will rain but from the way it looks outside its going to STORM, I can already hear the thunder coming this way. Its very cool outside and I have the windows open. I need to clean house today but may put it off. I'm a little sore from yesterday's digging. Ha, any excuse not to clean. I do have a few blisters on my palms. I don't like gloves so forget to wear them when using a shovel, when I really need to.

I called DirectTV and we troubleshot the box, then Hubby called and more troubleshooting, only to determine that the box was dead. DTV will send us a new one for only $20 shipping. Grrr. There stuff breakx and we have to pay for shipping??? Hubby hooked up the other box that we thought was broken and its working fine, now???? So at least I can get my HGTV fix.

I'm hoping to get some exercise in today.

DMC, I started gardening with pots, mostly herbs. I always thought there was something more difficult about herb growning; I didn't find that to be the case, most of the herbs flourished while other plants died. But I learned so much from those pots, especially the importance of watering. We bought our current house because I feel in love with the backyard! {and Hubby the detached garage, LOL}. Its not very big. but it has huge pecan and oak trees that shade the whole yard, at any given time in the summer its 10-20 degrees cooler back there than in the sun. Doesn't help much with the humidity though. We have an original split brick patio, and we put one of those covered swings {my parents bought us for our Anniversary}, out in the yard, so we get a good veiw of the beds. I nap on it sometimes in the spring and fall, read, make calls.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #84  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I just wanted to pop in and thank you all for the support. The pack has been incredible; I cannot imagine getting through this without them.

I know without a doubt we did the right thing but it just HURTS so fricken much. I feel so full of self pity but take comfort knowing that Tucker is pain free. Run, swim, and play Tucker..... till we meet at the bridge.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #85  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default tgif

Cruise, sorry about Tucker. I just got a mommy and baby kitten from the pound (5 months ago) and they are the best. I hope that they are with me into retirement. Please check out the pound when you are feeling better. Someone there needs you.

Patch, I have Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Dill, Mint and one other I can't think of. Already have used the mint and the basil. ;-) I am looking for herb recipes if anyone has any. ;-)

ICU, it seems the fires are getting under control, finally.

Marie, I am 49, (so I am not long for this thread ;-() but I am done with my periods and have been for a couple of years. I didn't take anything even though the hot flashes are horrible. I mean I didn't take HRT. I did take Estroven that is plant based and you can get it over the counter. Costco has it cheap, but the drug stores have a better selection of types. I got the night time one. Now I am pretty much done, but a few hot flashes. Not enough to do anything else medically though. I just figured it will be easier to do it naturally unless it is really horrible and debilitating.

Good luck all you young 40 year olds still having periods. Sorry, but I have never been able to be happy about not having it before~! LOL

Have a great day all.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #86  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc2009 View Post
Cruise, sorry about Tucker. I just got a mommy and baby kitten from the pound (5 months ago) and they are the best. I hope that they are with me into retirement. Please check out the pound when you are feeling better. Someone there needs you.
lol.... I do rescue & fostering and "someone" always seems to need us. We currently are permanent guardian to four dogs and one cat.

Thank you for adopting from the pound. There are so many in need and pound pets are the BEST!!!
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #87  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default I love my kitties

I love them so much. We got a mommy and a baby siamese and the mommy is a lovey dovey but the baby is really skittish, even now, at almost 6 months, but she is coming around.

It is so wonderful to keep them together, because who knows what happened to the rest of that litter. My mommy cat was found wandering the streets with the baby in her mouth! I could never have separated them.

They are so wonderful to watch together, they clean and love eachothter so much, and when one is out of eyesight, the other meows until they come running together.

I would never have gotten my babies any other way.

So, all you pet lovers out there, go save somebody!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #88  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I have a rescue cat here, too. We got him as a 4-year-old, about 1 1/2 years ago, and he is my constant companion. Instead of an alarm clock, he wakes me each morning at 6:45 by nuzzling my chin. Prior to us, I gather that he lived in a house that suffered from wretched neglect, so much so that they had to go in to rescue the animals.

May Tucker rest in peace...

Last edited by newleaf123; 09-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #89  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

patchworkpenguin - glad you'll have TV again, soon. I have to admit that I use it to relax in the evenings after the kids have gone to bed. I usually take a TV break and then go to my studying.

Hydra - I try to eat mostly gluten free, too. It's challenging, but gluten free products are now available in most food stores.

ICU - since I have PCOS, my body has had an estrogen dominance problem for awhile. I don't know what I would do without supplementary progesterone.

Hotsplashes - no vacation in 9 years? Yikes.

AuzzieDee - what kind of business are you thinking of buying?

gardenerjoy - congrats on the new low!!

CruiseCAT - sorry it hurts so much. We had 3 cats pass away in the past year and it's so hard.

dmc2009 - I think true menopause can happen starting as early as the late 30's. In my family, my mother and her mother were 55, though. Yay, another 10 years. It would be nice to not have to be worried about anemia all the time.

newleaf - I am a cat lover, too. Our two new cats are settling in and are much quieter now that they've gotten used to us. My older son has always had a hard time connecting with animals because they were told to scare them away at the orphanage (I imagine that rabies was always a concern), but he's liking the really friendly cat we now have. The other cat is still a bit skittish, though.

How can I tell it's almost TOM? (I'm never quite sure of the timing due to perimenopause) That would be because after a really good day of eating yesterday, I'm up a pound. That's always a bummer.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #90  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default big day tomorrow - weigh in.

I am really only expecting a 1 lb loss. I haven't been as good as I could have been all week and YEP, I am sitting here with a small glass of zin... does anybody know how many points. Its really small, but I think 4 points.

Tonight I was good, I had a burger patty and cottage cheese and tomatoes. the old fashioned plate! Remember in the 80s when the Low Cal plate was all over the place, that makes me laugh...

So anyway... was pretty good all day, will see what the night brings.

The front of my thighs ache like I have been doing 500 squats and I have done nothing!!! What is that? Anybody ever had that happen?

tomorow hiking. Cruise, I love to hike too!