Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #31  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default When I blow, I blow big...

I had a great day yesterday, I ate on plan on day, came home prepared food for today and then BAM.. went to cupboard and ate about 8 little sugar wafers with some milk for a nighttime snack.

I really am considering getting professional help... or a boyfriend to keep me busy. But I am so self conscions right now.

Back on plan today, I have a wonderful day planned accept dinner, but that should be easy.

The rest of the sugar wafers are going in the garbage. GAHHHH.

dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #32  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Laundry and exercise on tap for today.

DMC, Don't be too hard on yourself, we all do things like that!

Primm, Poor DS. that stinks.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #33  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

presmaggie: good job on planning to succeed with the gym's daycare and working out that you need more fat in your diet. I've been reading a lot and it seems most authors are pushing fat a bit now since we went to far the other way for awhile. Are you allergic to nuts? That's a current darling of nutritionists. Also, oddly enough, butter (as long is its from grass-fed cows) and ghee from India (where they treat cows as sacred, so, of course, they are fed grass like they are meant to eat). I get pastured butter at Whole Foods and I'm thinking about getting some ghee from the global grocery.

CruiseCAT: thinking of you during the fire -- another internet friend of mine evacuated yesterday from the Acton area

Marie: Yay for 60 pounds! That is a real accomplishment.

ICUWishing: good job on the canning and yay for the leopard frogs! We have about an acre, too. We're about to finish our third year of residence and our greatest accomplishment can be counted in the reduction of invasive honeysuckle bushes.

Hotsplashes: Good luck with school!

GabbyTab: Welcome! I'm new, too, and I'm finding this group a great resource. Sounds like you know how to do this!

dmc2009: good job on throwing away the sugar wafers. I can't have stuff like that in my house, either.

weightlosswanted: love the idea of tuna salad made with avocado instead of mayo. Sounds delicious.

Onmyway: congrats on the early morning walk! Martha Beck says it only takes 4 days to develop the commitment that leads to the habit.

Hydra: good luck with the medical tests. Quite natural to be a bit antsy about that and ready to have the whole experience over.

patchworkpenguin: great bath pix! Love the new floor!

Primm: good job on the run and the self-care for the quads. Sending healing thoughts to your son. That is a tough time in a young life.

Good day yesterday, even with a last minute decision to visit the Missouri Botanical Garden and eat lunch at the cafe there. We do that a lot, so I know what's on the menu. I already had a Cafe lunch in my mix-and-match meal plan, so I swapped that into the plan and that's exactly what I ate -- spinach salad (even though I wanted grilled cheese) and 12 french fries (because I didn't want to break our tradition of splitting fries, but also didn't want to go overboard. Plus, about an hour of walking around the Garden!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #34  

Well I made it to the gym this morning...ugh...It was tough but I did it. Why did going to the gym used to be fun and I loved going now it is worse than having to go to the dentist.

I did good on eating yesterday and so far so good today...I am cutting my carbs...not totally going carb free but trying to eat less breads and stuff and by stuff I mean the sweet stuff...LoL

Wow it seems like you ladies are doing good close to your goals...I am just hoping to lose 10lbs by the time I go out with my friends and celebrate our 40th b-days at the end of October...so I got some time.

Well enjoy your day!
GabbyTab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #35  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

weightlosswanted - glad to hear that you missed the heavy showers.

onmyway - it's supposed to take 21 days to set a habit. I'm not sure how that was determined, though. It's hard to believe that it would be the same for everyone. Good luck with the walking!

Hydra - best wishes on your procedures. My mother has colitis, so I've heard lots about those tests and the preparation involved. They are such accurate tests, though, and I hope you get the information that you need.

patchworkpenguin - since I can't eat beef, I have to use turkey in my chili. I found a great recipe, though, and the magic ingredients are 1 T each of Wostershire sauce and Dijon mustard. For some reason, they seem to add the extra flavor that turkey lacks. I like your tile choices for your bathroom.

ICUwishing - interesting thought on the blood sugar/insulin effects on the body. I know that I'm really sensitive to them, although I don't test as diabetic. For me, many of the foods that I have sensitivities around cause changes to my blood sugar, especially gluten.

Primm - well done on the long run. How long have you been running?

dmc2009 - I think it's best to put our mistakes behind us. I think that success is about getting back on track when we fall, instead of aiming for perfection. As long as you have more good days than bad, your body should respond the way you want it to.

gardenerjoy - I'm not allergic to most nuts (except almonds), but any dairy, including butter, does cause problems. Sometimes I wonder if going too low fat (good fat, not saturated fat) is causing a lot of cravings in many people. After all, many of us (and I count myself among that group) can eat a whole box of low fat cookies without feeling too full.

CruiseCAT - it sounds like you have a good proportion of protein/carb/fat. I remember trying the Zone years ago and not losing an ounce. I was never sure why.

After feeling really grumpy this morning, I looked at the calender and saw that it's PMS time. It's not a great time to have the boys home all day. I'll just have to pace myself with them. Just one more week until they start school, thank goodness. We're planning to do some back to school shopping and then I'll take them to the beach to run around.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #36  

Maggie, The worchestshire sauce and dijon sound really good. I'll have to try that the next time I make chilli

Gabby, Yay on making it to the gym!

Joy, Your trip to the botanical garden sounds wonderful.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #37  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Cruise, we’ve noticed the air quality problem when fires are about 70 miles away or closer. So I can see how you’d be having problems with them that close and that they are that big.

Dancer, I do TV Marathons when I’m sick. I record about 5 series on my DVR and when I’m sick, I choose one and indulge. I have CSI: LV and NY from last year just waiting for the flu to hit. Eeks.

ICU, do the froggies sing at night? I love a summer night with their singing. With the amount of froggies you have, you nearly have the Froggie Tabernacle Choir.

Hots, I also drop in chunks. I just love the chunk drop and hate the weeks without anything. I charted mine for the last 3 years and know when in my cycle I will lose and when I won’t. That’s why I was surprised by a drop yesterday. It was a gift from my scale, probably lulling me into thinking it’s changed its evil ways.

Gabby, welcome and congrats on the baby. You came to the right place for support and it’s clear you know how to lose the weight – so you’ve got it all going for you. And you NEVER returned to the age 28 weight. That’s awesome.

DMC, it does take longer but with the slow weight loss is the wisdom that years bring. You won’t regain it like in the 20s. So even though the progress is slow and hard, it will be long term. A chickie on another thread once wrote ‘is it more wasteful to eat the food and then have the health/clothing repercussions OR to just throw it away?’ Of course, the answer is toss it. Perhaps you need to go through your kitchen and throw everything tempting away. Sabotaging yourself every night is going to do more harm to your mindset than anything. So throw it all away.

Presmaggie, my children are in their 20s and level-headed isn’t an adjective I’d use either. And thank you for doing 1 hour of weights. You might not have known this but you’re doing my 30 minutes plus yours. I hate weight training although I do like the feeling of power after. Oh I need to take my 30 minutes back and do it myself. And, my doggies we’re cross bred with jacka$$e$. Truthfully, I said that to a co-worker once (smart as a rock one) and she asked (this is the real quote) “How’d they do that?” Huskies are known to be naughty, smart doggies that do what they want, part of the reason I adore them. Just sometimes it can drive me batty.

Pres and ICU, I never count fat grams. I like real food so I don’t worry about the fat content. I just worry about the portions. I definitely know the higher fat content meals stick with me way longer. Especially when in conjunction with protein.

WLW, what kind of jewelry do you make? That would be fun. I was thinking of learning the glass diachrome melting stuff but then realized that I’d just spend another fortune and I didn’t need another hobby. I’m thinking turtle patterns…

OMW, I think it took me 6 weeks to convert to an early morning riser and walker. Now I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’m proud of you for doing it. Just 5 weeks, 6 days to go… So the idea of how long is sort of a pin the tail on the habit donkey. I think it’s individual do know it takes only a day or two to break it. For me, that’s motivation.

Eeks, Hydra. The end of your week sounds icky. Way to go on getting it done. You are braver than I.

Joy, good job on the fries. I learned that I liked 6 fries. Every delectable morsel of 6 fries. After 6 I just am eating them mindlessly and not tasting them. When I realized that, I haven’t wanted to overeat them since. It’s a joke with my DH that he has to give me 6 of his fries when we’re out.

Penguin, it is way more trouble. I’d never do it again after the last shipping fiasco. UPS broke on and the person had to ship it back. She shipped it overnight and expected ME to pay the shipping. Um, no. I didn’t break it and there was insurance. So never again. At least knitting and quilts wouldn’t break.

Primm, those quads will feel better soon. It’s great you did that run. And uphill is a quad killer. Downhill is a knee killer. I like uphill better even though my lungs hate it.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 195/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Hi

I would love to join this group is you have space available?

I am looking to lose 30-35 pounds and it sure seems the older I get the harder and slower it goes.

Diane
AuzzieDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #39  

Ever have one of those days? Our computer is running very slow. I spent about 30min trying to get the computer to print a black and white photo on regular paper. I'd hit an icon/button and wait literally 2 min for it to respond! Then I finally got it ready to print, it with through the motions but didn't print anything, even though it told me it had!! GRR! So I called Hubby and he told me to do a virus scan, and told me how. I went into the living room to do my workout. We've been having trouble with the DVD player {less than two years old!} it won't recognize a DVD until you hard reset the player. So I had to do that again. The DVD finally loaded but paused and sputtered here and there in the workout. I was so frustrated by this time I just went with it, adding reps while the workout paused. It was like trying to work out to a slow YouTube download at the beginning of the workout, but eventually decided it better work. I think we'll {read Hubby} will move the DVDR from the other room until we have time to shop for a DVD player. My workout was a newbie, I bought it a TJMaxx a few weeks ago for about $3. Prev Shortcuts to Big Weightloss. My first non-Leslie workout after my second cateract surgery. The workout is a little weird; it consists of 10 min of cardio sculpt, 10 min of pilates {shoes offf} then 10 min of kicboxing {shoes back on}. I did the pilates last, thank you! I prefer just to pick one style of exercise and stick with that for the full workout but this was a good pick for today.

My computer is running a little faster and is virus free!

AuzzieDee,Of course we have room for you! Welcome to the group.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #40  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

hey all! Again ... it's a crazy week and I'm kind of doing a drive-by -

Marie - if the leopard frogs make noise, I'm not sure which one it is. We have some really vocal treefrogs, and though it hasn't been hot enough for bullfrogs, there's definitely lots of sound out there. The frogs drown out the crickets, lol!
Auzzie - jump on in! Welcome!

OK - here's dinner. We had "flash-grilled" sashimi grade tuna steaks (DS10 is coming along nicely - he loved them!) with sauteed baby pattypans, zucchini, garlic, tomatoes and celery. And a couple of glasses of chardonnay (why is it so hard for two people to have leftovers on a bottle of wine????)
I passed on dessert.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #41  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Mexican Tuna Salad

1 small can tuna
1/2 avocado finely chopped
juice from 1/2 lime
1 plum tomato finely chopped
1 small bunch of fresh cilantro (to taste) minced

combine all ingredients and enjoy!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Auzzie Dee. the More The Merrier.. welcome to the group!

I am really sick right now. ick.. hopefull just something I ate.

Are we starting a September Thread?

See everyone Tomorrow.
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #43  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default touching base

Maybe I am off to a slow start this week, but I have to say that even with my horrible choices I have made some pretty good ones too.
Slow and steady, that will be my motto!

Hotsplashes, I hope you feel better soon!

WLW, thanks for the recipe! I just bought some canned salmon, I have never tried it!

ICUwishing, what are pattypans? Sounds good!

Today, I had a fiber loaded sand for lunch, then for dinner I took DD to chinese food. I was bad, but I only ate one roll, one scoop of rice and one bigger scoop of orange chicken. I got the breaded kind because I thought DD should try it. Oh.. and a glass of zin. I wrote it all down!

Hopefully, no munchies tonight.

See you all!
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #44  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the well wishes Ladies on my upcoming medical tests. I start preparing for them today with diet changes. To prepare for the colonoscopy I am not allowed to have any fresh veggies or fruits today....bummer.....and tomorrow I will be fasting all day. I am sure I will stay on track today and I appreciate the support so very much. Have a good day everyone!!!
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #45  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Thanks for the well wishes Ladies on my upcoming medical tests. I start preparing for them today with diet changes. To prepare for the colonoscopy I am not allowed to have any fresh veggies or fruits today....bummer.....and tomorrow I will be fasting all day. I am sure I will stay on track today and I appreciate the support so very much. Have a good day everyone!!!
Good luck...I hear it's not as bad as everyone thinks. They say the day before (preparing for it) is worse then the actual colonoscopy. Hope all your tests come back with great results!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote