Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #16  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good morning! It's another beautiful day here. Completed my walk with my neighbor. It's nice to have someone to walk with. Keeps me motivated when I know she will be waiting for me! Goes by quicker when you have someone to talk to!

Denver, Can't wait to hear about the botox! Where are you getting it? I'm going with the injections for my veins. Will keep you posted.

Jelder, Have a great time in Denver. 2 months away from DH is a long time! Enjoy your reunion!

Small projects around my house today and then lunch with some old work friends. Hope everyone has a "thin" thursday!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

OMW - I'm doing the botox next week at a place run by a plastic surgeon that is also where I did laser hair removal (which is awesome by the way if anyone's considering it) and some other treatments (microderm, KTP laser on sun spots). I've had great results with their other treatments so I hope we stay on a roll : ) Will fill you guys in once it happens. Glad you got the day off to a good start - I'm heading out for a run in a few minutes and am hoping to do the same. Totally agree on enjoying walks more with company - am planning on walking with a buddy later on today when it's cooler.

Jelder - Thunderstorms expected here a lot in the next few days - the usual summer crazy weather. So glad you'll get to see your husband. Why are you guys in different cities if it's not too complicated to explain?
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #18  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTargetforLife View Post
Hi all,

I hope you won't mind my joining you. I am a nurse and mother from just outside of Louisville, KY

I walk at least 10,000 steps per day and help my DH with the mowing at least one night per week. I need to progress my exercise just not sure how.

Any advice would be great.
~Deb
Hi Deb, Welcome to the group. We love new people joining us. I know it helps me stay focused on the basics.

As for the exercise 10,000 steps is great. For me I do the treadmill for one hour 6 days a week. The nice thing about walking/running is it can be done just about anywhere. I've done C25K and I am now doing a little HITT during my hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Girl View Post
Well, fun to write down a weight of 2 pounds down on the first day of July. I like. Seeing that 2 pound drop (even if it may only have been from my intestinal upset of yesterday) is SO motivating ! I cann only imagine how motivated I will feel when I see a new , lower, middle digit this month (and I WILL! and SOON!)
Great job on the 2 lbs. You can and you will see that new number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueenough View Post
Hi everyone!

I am new to the site, but NOT to the agony of weight loss/control. I am at my heighest weight EVER and am desperately seeking motivation, support, and, I suppose, a way to agonize when I just don't want to keep going.

I am a mother of 2; devoted wife; and full-time professional.

... hoping it's okay to join you all!
Welcome to the group blue. You've come to the right place. No need to agonize... you will find the strength you need to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Cruise, I'd be a bit worried if I had heart history and they saw a little blimp. We're not the youngest chickies anymore so I'd be concerned too. Talk to your dr about the blip so it eases your mind.
Marie, it was my regular doc that I saw for my EKG and she knows my full family history. Still didn't stop me from coming home and doing my own research. I am a FIRM believer that one MUST be their NUMBER ONE advocate when it comes to medical care. I feel better doing my research and knowing that I have had an echo in the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
[B]
CruiseCAT -- I hear you about waning motivation, been there, done that. You are doing so great!! 43 lbs lost -- wow! Remember when it was "just" 30?? You'll get there; I know it. Good luck with your upcoming surgery! I have a hair appt this afternoon, too. And like you, I've wondered how to do the cut-over to full gray one day...
Thank you Heidi, it is important for me to remember where I came from; that's a big bag of dog food (40 lbs.). That really puts things is perspective.

I ended up doing the same thing I always do with my hair (trim & color). I really would like to go short but I'm just not there. We did talk about my color and he suggested that I use a men's temporary product that blends. He said if my hair was short short it would take 3-6 months but that I would have to use it about every 4-6 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
My parents are coming by soon to pick me up and take me to lunch. This is a weekly get together for us. We are trying a new place today, we all remember where it is, but not the name! Hopefully, it will be good.

I'm having cateract surgery on my left {bad} eye on July 6th. While this isn't the first eye surgery I've had each time I get a sick feeling and dread it. I've been in denial but when I wrote July 1 on my prayer journal and food/exercise log I realized its only a few days away. EEK!

CruiseCat, What kind of surgery are you having. It sounds much more serious than mine!
Patch, very cool that you have a standing lunch date with your parents. I lost both of mine before I was 30 and I sure did miss out of having an "adult" relationship with them. I was only 15 when my dad died so I really missed out there. Funny, the older I get I find that I really am VERY much like him as far as family values. My mother in her last five years had become my BF so I find that I really miss her as I age.

I have a friend with diabetes that has had numerous eye surgery and although she is not legally blind she is getting very close to not being able to drive. I know it will be devastating for her, her diabetes has taken so much. She had her first kidney/pancreas transplant in 1995 and received another kidney in 2003. This woman is truly a survivor and fighter; she is an individual that gives me incredible hope and when we are together it is impossible for me to be anything but grateful for life.

Denver, I didn't miss you I need to go pull that info for you. I'll just post what I ate yesterday. I actually did very well with my numbers. More often than not I still am high on my carbs. I really don't worry to much about it, it's really just a number I am for. The one that I really try to stick close to is the calorie count, at this time that is 1400.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 07-02-2009 at 09:32 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #19  
Eat Less Move More

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
CruiseCat, What kind of surgery are you having. It sounds much more serious than mine!
I am having my gallbladder removed due to stones.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #20  
Eat Less Move More

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerindenver View Post
OMW - I'm doing the botox next week
I'm very interested in hearing your experience. Would love to see before/after pics if you are doing those and would feel comfortable sharing. With the weight that I have lost I have way more wrinkles.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #21  
Eat Less Move More

Here is what I had yesterday Denver for a total of 1363 calories (28F 34 C 38P).

Raisin Bran w/Almond Breeze and 1/2 grapefruit
Apple
Tortilla (med) with chicken (6 oz), veggies, & mozzarella (1oz real cheese)(these are ALWAYS over stuffed with lots of extra on the plate)
Hillshire Rotisserie Chicken
HUGE salad with 6 oz. shrimp and pear juice as a dressing
Spinach, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, broccoli, cauliflower

My chicken is breast meat that is cubed and cooked with various spices and a sauce. I use different ones but usually they are under 50 calories for 2 T and I use about 4 T when I cook up a batch (3 or 4 breast). I ALWAYS keep cooked chicken in the fridge.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Cruise - Thanks for the info! I'm struggling with keeping the carbs on the lower side with all this great summer fruit around - interested to hear that that the carbs are the tricky part for you too. I'll take some scary super close up before and after pics for the botox treatment as I'm curious to see if it makes a real difference too. I'm not crazy wrinkly yet - I'm kind of doing it preventatively, since that's probably easier than doing it correctively if that makes sense.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #23  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Dancer - Not that complicated - I'm originally from TX, but moved to CO to be closer to parents after college. Met him, got married, had a business in Silverthorne. His family's all there in CO. But we could never get ahead with the cost of living and real estate there. So we moved here (east of Houston) about 7 years ago.

Doing well here overall, but . ... he hates the hot summers. Also, there's some really well paid welding work going on in Colorado and Wyoming right now. But, his jobs are all short term - 6 months, 1 year, max 2 years. It doesn't make sense for me to quit a good job (I can almost support us) that I really like and relocate for that. So for a few years we'll be doing the long distance thing. Especially as work in the welding and all construction fields has REALLY fallen off with the economic stuff. It's been ugly. I know so many people out of work. Actually, he was out of work from Dec 'til May!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #24  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Morning all! I lost another pound! I think this is just that beginner's quick drop, because I have made changes in my eating.{not sure how many calories I've dropped but I'm losing at between 1800 and 2000 a day. I'm sure it will level out soon. sigh. I asked Hubby to keep track of his food intake yesterday and he ate over 3000! Mostly fat/carbs and a tiny slice of protein in the piechart. I think it was a wake-up call for him. Hopefully! Especially when I got onto him about potato chips {even baked ones} don't count as a vegetable!

Cardio for today, probably kickboxing!

Jeider, At least these days you have email and cellphones to keep connected. Hubby joined the Navy right before email became widespread and we had to depend on letters. I wrote him a lot but I think I got about 8 letters from him over two years. He used to call me from the ship on a sat phone but since he was on the other side of the world I'd get the calls at 3am! Having Hubby away would drive me crazy though. My surgery is out-patient but I'm going to be put to sleep, and probably wake up in the middle. I had a different surgery like this one and woke up while they were still working on my eye, it turns out they plan it that way. ICK! Hubby's family tends to ignore us unless they want/need something.

CruiseCat, Pear juice as a dressing sounds very good! Hope your surgery goes well! I'm sorry you lost your parents so young. Your friend sounds very nice, you are lucky to have her.

Dancer, This surgery is on my bad eye and probably won't change much, next I will have the surgery on my good right eye and I'm actually worried more about that one. Since I'm having the lens in my eye replaced it should make my percription for contacts/glassees weaker, but I've been cautioned that it won't change my vision very much. Most of my vision problems are distortions due to retina detachments. They don't really fix a detachment, they laser around it so it can't get bigger. Probably TMI!

OMW, Hope the biopsy comes back normal!

Marie & Diva, I think that was the problem for the the last time. I thought I'd lose the weight and everything could go back to normal. Well, it did, go back to normal and I regained the weight!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #25  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Newleaf, you are so right – losing the weight is reward enough. Feeling healthy and fit are a wonderful gift.

Penguin, I had Lasik surgery about 9 years ago and I will take any other medical procedure over that, any day – except childbirth. Oh, that was horrible. So I will be thinking about you. And WTG on losing another pound! You are doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietingdiva View Post
After all...if I always do what I always did I will always get what I always got!

Diva, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. What a perfect quote. I really like it!

OMW, my DS had major veins that required stripping surgery and she still has to wear support hose. You have my sympathies. Just think when that cluster is gone how sexy your legs will look with your svelte bod.

Dancer, botox would scare me as I have weird panic triggers. Please post up close before and after pics. I really would love to see the results. And I am having a great time with DH. All the things I couldn’t/wouldn’t fix are fixed. I really like that. WARNING… Too bad TOM visits at the most inopportune times.

Jelder, have you and your BF used Skype? It’s free internet video phone calling. It really closes the miles. DH and I used it when I was in Thailand and I use it with DGS as he lives 300 miles away. It’s really great. Of course, DH forgot the video camera on his month long journey. Men… and he usually doesn’t travel much. They’re redoing the runway at his base so they’re temporarily relocated in Boise. He’s on a 1 month in Oregon, 1 month in Idaho schedule. He’s in ID for June, August, and October. He’ll bring the video camera next time…

Cruise, your “it is important for me to remember where I came from; that's a big bag of dog food (40 lbs.). That really puts things is perspective.” Is so timely. Yesterday, one of DH’s tasks was to bring Blizzards 40 lbs bag of food in from the Durango. I said, “It’s too big.” At his funny look, I added, “I realize I’ve lost more than that but it’s way too heavy.” So then I read your comment and laughed again.

So this is the second time I’ve written this post. I hit the backspace again without the focus on the little (tiny-weeny) advanced posting screen. So my solution is to cut all the quotes from 3FC and pasted it into WORD. So I’m typing it in word, then I’ll re-paste it back. So when I lost the long post, I didn’t eat a pie or candy bar out of frustration, I figured a way to stop the problem from happening. I think that’s progress. A NSV.

DH and I are going to buy all the lumber stuff to put a carport type of thing over my doggies’ kennel. No more rain or snow on them. I figure the expense is worth their comfort and me not having to clean my house as much from them tracking in mud. That was my reason to DH. But of course, I just really want my doggies comfort.

Well, the DirecTV man just left so DH and I are off. I will be enjoying myself in the Costco produce dept. I love fruit!!!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #26  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Penguin - LOL - was he serious about potato chips being a vegetable? I almost choked. I get in arguments with people about potatoes and corn being the same as green veggies, but I've never had anyone stand up for chips. I'm still trying to decide whether hate or love the new technology. In general, I despise the fact that everyone feels they have a right to get hold of me NOW - whether it's convenient for me or not, wherever I might be. But it can be blessing. Free long distance for the two of us is great right now. Of course, if it cost a bit, maybe I wouldn't spend 2 or more hours on the phone with him every day and could get something done. But it does keep us close, in spite of the distance.

Marie - We've been using Windows Messenger or something when we can. The problem is a lot of his locations get lousy internet and phone connections, so it can be very frustrating. And I know what you mean about the TOM thing - my husband is growling!

Oh - and a NSV for me today (good thing as I'm not getting the other kinds.) I returned the skirted swimsuit I borrowed last year! I don't need the skirt thing anymore - I'm so happy!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #27  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Jeider, I'm sure he wasn't serious, but that was the closest thing to a vegetable that he ate yesterday. He called me up today to tell me that he's doing better today! More chips but he found the ones with the lowest cal/sodium to eat. He's trying; I'll give him that!
-Hubby and I once spent $500 in one month on the phone to each other when he was in Nevada and I was near Seattle. On military pay that was a fortune!

Marie, I asked about Lasik but the Dr said it wouldn't help that much. It would be wonderful not to have to fool with glasses, contacts, and now reading glasses! I can read most normal paperback print but anything smaller than that is a struggle or impossible. It doesn't help that a lot of letters aren't that different {i-l, c-o, k-b, e-s} these little lines can sometimes make a big difference! After I lost the orinigal 70lbs I used to make the joke that I lost April, who weighs around 75+lbs. It is amazing that I used to carry that much around daily but struggle to carry April around.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #28  
Ready to hit the beach!

Cruise, An hour on the treadmill! I'm bored at 30 minutes. I admire your stick-with-it-ness! I so agree we need to be our own advocate when it comes to our health. I'm very fortunate to have a primary care Dr. who never rushes me out the door and listens to my concerns.

Patchwork, Congrats on losing another pound! Got a good laugh about the potato chips. We used to joke that catsup was the only vegetable my daughter would eat!

Marie, sounds like you are keeping hubby busy with projects! It's such a good feeling to get stuff done! Sorry about TOM!

Dancer, carbs are tough for me. I really like my bread. I know I could lose quicker if I really cut back on them but I'm not willing to do that, so I have to be content with how I'm doing.

jelder, Sounds like you have to do what you have to do in this tough economy. We have a couple friends who are living in different cities because of jobs and for right now it's cheaper to do that than move. Great NSV! I think they count as much as scale victories!

Hi to newleaf, beemer, bopeep, ontarget, dietingdiva, blueenough and hermit girl too!

Last edited by Onmyway; 07-02-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #29  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi all! Good grief, what a week! Howdy to all the new folks - and it sounds like everybody's hanging in there. I've had two dinners in a row that didn't necessarily fit the typical profile, but did bring home leftovers from both. If that becomes a habit, I'll be happy.

Lovely news at work today. I'm travelling to LA on Tuesday next week on business. Just in time for the Michael Jackson memorial. Joy. My boss is teasing me about getting a sequined glove before I go. I guess I'll find out Monday if I got a hotel closer than Phoenix. (rolls eyes). Should be just about like a day at the circus.

I'll catch up here this weekend - I hope. Have to go get the kid (3 hour drive each way) tomorrow - Sat is the 4th, and Sun is his 10th b-day. Whew!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #30  
Ready to hit the beach!

ICU, Sorry I forgot you in my previous post! LA is the last place I would want to be next week. I'm finding all of the coverage and attention a bit excessive. Hope your son has a great birthday, my DD will be 11 on Monday!