Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #61  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Marie. Welcome -- thanks for hopping right in! I'm envious of your love to exercise; for me, no matter how hard I try, it's always just a means to an end...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #62  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Onmyway - thanks for the compliment! I did get a haircut and it's much shorter. For the last few years, I've been trying to grow it out because I had always had short hair. Based on the number of compliments I've received since I cut it really short, I guess it'll stay short. LOL. Great pictures of you, by the way. Your weight loss is quite noticeable in your face.

Nell68 - it has to be confusing to be converting your weight. Here in Canada, we use both systems, so some things are metric and some are not. Lots of confusion results.

Jacque9999 - congrats on the yardsale. They always seem to be a lot of work.

newleaf123 - one pound lost in a month of maintenance is pretty good, I'd think. It's sure a lot better to maintain than to go back to bad habits.

CruiseCAT - wow! 145.6 pounds is really good! I'm looking forward to seeing the 140's and 150's. It's been almost 20 years in my case.

Marie - hi and welcome! It's a very supportive group here.

This morning we took my parents to brunch. I filled up my plate with vegetables first, then there wasn't too much room left for junk. I think that's the least amount I've ever eaten at a buffet. My sons, however, are another matter. They ate huge amounts of food and I have no idea where they put it, since they are both so skinny. I wish.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #63  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Newleaf, I'm with you. I exercise because I know I need to, I can't say I love it, don't know if I ever will!

Welcome Marie! We are always glad to have new friends around here. This is a great group and very supportive!

Thanks for the compliments on my photos.

We had a grad party again today. Moderation was my game plan and I did pretty well. I'm going to have a very light dinner. Took a longer bike ride with my DD today. Our route today had alot more hills so I had to work harder.

Any good book suggestions?
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #64  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

It's been a heck of a weekend. Not only did I get up bright and early and slog an hour down the freeway to take this freaking test (I'm 95% certain that I passed it with room to spare), but ... both Saturday AND today ... I weighed in ... NORMAL. 159 on Sat, 159.5 on Sun. It's got to have been at least 5 years. If it's still there tomorrow morning, I am claiming it for my own!!!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #65  
Heidi

PresMaggie - I hear you about the plate! The two dinners we had with my parents visiting, I put out a big dish of raw veggies and made sure to fill a lot of my plate with that. On the night we had pizza, I also roasted up some asparagus. For me, veggies are the way to go; luckily I love them.

OnMyWay - what kinds of books do you like? Have you ever read To Kill A Mockingbird? That was one classic that somehow escaped me in high school and college, so I read it a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have lots of other books I could recommend, but it depends on what your taste is.

ICUWishing -- Woo hoo!! Claim it, it's yours!!! WTG!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #66  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

ICU, isn't it awesome to see a new "decade". I love when that 2nd number changes. Congrats. I'm at 165 but will probably not see your new second number for 2 months.

I lose weight at incredibly slow speed. It's funny how much easier it was in my 30's. Too bad I didn't learn how to keep it off. As I think I've really accepted my calorie limit as a lifelong limit, I'm confident for the first time in my life that I will not regain it.

Onmyway, I just "read" the Harlan Coben series that featured Myron Bolitar. I listen to audiobooks as I am not a sit and read person. Audiobooks let me clean, exercise, do mindless tasks without sitting stll. Anyway, the 9th book in the series is on the best sellers list (at least it was month ago). I started at the beginning of the series and listened straight through (a 3 week overseas trip with lots of mind-numbing boredom). I loved the first 1/2 then just enjoyed the last few. I also just finished listening to another one of his books and it was pretty good.

newleaf, I'd never guessed I would l love exercising. I started 3 1/2 years ago and have missed about 20 days in that time. BTW, I bribed myself with electronic toys as a reward. Somehow it really stuck. Now if I could find a way to love yoga and weight lifting. I love aerobics. The other two bore me.

presmaggie, great way of handling the buffet. It makes sense if you have no room on the plate for the naughty stuff, you can't be anything but angelic.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. Chat wth you tomorrow!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #67  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseCAT View Post
Jacque - that is cool everyone gets along. It is so much better for the kids.
And we all had fun hanging out at the ex-husbands pool yesterday!!! It was alot of fun and a beautiful day too!!! Yes it is much better for the kids. Had we stayed together, it would have been awful. We work much better divorced then we did married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by presmaggie View Post

Jacque9999 - congrats on the yardsale. They always seem to be a lot of work.
Yes it was!!! But well worth it!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Good morning, ladies! For some unknown reason, I'm up crazy early for my time zone and was reading with interest that some of you do this regularly! It's seriously dark out - I can't imagine doing this regularly : )

CruiseCAT - who-hoo! Congrats on your amazing progress - that must feel great!
Jacque - good for you on the decluttering process! I heard about a book called 'Does this clutter make my butt look fat?' (pretty funny title) that proposed a link between having junk in the house and treating your body like junk (sort of). Not sure that it's true for everyone but I think you do feel mentally skinnier when you declutter and get super-organized. Also, that's amazing that your ex's and your bf all get along!!
Onmyway - tell us more about what you like to read - I'm a book lover and would love to help with recommendations. And how great you look in your new photo - nice cheekbones!
Marie - Welcome! And sorry to hear about the roller blading accident - ouch!! Wishing you a speedy recovery...
presmaggie - great buffet strategy!
Newleaf - I'm impressed at your dedication to exercise if it's not your particular favorite. I certainly don't look forward to time on the elliptical but getting out for a walk or hike with girlfriends or jogging in the park with my friend's dog (and the runner's high after) I like a lot. What's your exercise routine out of curiousity? Is there a least worst kind of exercise for you or is it all equally a slog?
ICUwishing - way to go! that's great!!

So, I'm curious if you experts have any advice. I'm trying to limit calories to around 1400/day and I'm fine all day until I get into bed at night. Then I get the munchies and I swear I feel like I'm starving all of a sudden. I try to just go to sleep anyway but sometimes it keeps me up. I've also tried saving a few calories and having a protein snack before bed but it hasn't been all that helpful. I have a history of evening comfort eating and I think my body is used to it. Any advice? Is this just going to be ugly for a while until I learn new habits and retrain my tummy not to expect food after dinner? Or are there some tricks?
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #69  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerindenver View Post
Jacque - good for you on the decluttering process! I heard about a book called 'Does this clutter make my butt look fat?' (pretty funny title) that proposed a link between having junk in the house and treating your body like junk (sort of). Not sure that it's true for everyone but I think you do feel mentally skinnier when you declutter and get super-organized. Also, that's amazing that your ex's and your bf all get along!!

So, I'm curious if you experts have any advice. I'm trying to limit calories to around 1400/day and I'm fine all day until I get into bed at night. Then I get the munchies and I swear I feel like I'm starving all of a sudden. I try to just go to sleep anyway but sometimes it keeps me up. I've also tried saving a few calories and having a protein snack before bed but it hasn't been all that helpful. I have a history of evening comfort eating and I think my body is used to it. Any advice? Is this just going to be ugly for a while until I learn new habits and retrain my tummy not to expect food after dinner? Or are there some tricks?
I never heard of that book but I do agree, I feel "mentally skinnier" having gotten rid of that stuff. I generally do keep things in order and hide the clutter/junk but somehow there is still some in my house.

Having a snack after dinner is okay. Actually people think that if you eat before bed that is a bad thing. I read somewhere that it really doesn't matter when you eat...IT'S WHAT YOU EAT!!! If you eat something heavy before bed you might be uncomfortable. Google "snacks before bedtime and you will get lots of links. I found this somewhere on the WWW:

Best Prebed Snack/Meal: Mix of fat and protein

-protein to support muscles during your sleeping fast
-fat to slow the digestion of the protein

Ex: Cottage cheese (either 2 or 4% or fatfree or 2 or 4% mixed with natty pb-depends on your goals)

There are many other combos but this seems like one of the most popular
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #70  
Heidi

DancerInDenver - I love hiking and am considering Kilimanjaro with my sister in 2011. 2 years ago we did a high-altitude trek in Peru, ending at Macchu Picchu, and it was awesome! I did lots of training for that, primarily on the elliptical as well as local hiking around here. BUT, without an end goal like that, slogging it out on the elliptical, treadmill, and/or stairmaster (all in my basement) is a chore. I love going for local hikes but the problem is time. I feel guilty taking the time away from my family to go off and do that on my own; I can't really do it while the kids are in school because I work and volunteer; I can't really do it with my kids b/c my youngest complains and makes it not a lot of fun. I tried running on the treadmill but that was so incredibly boring I couldn't stand it. I *may* try running outside; it's very hilly where I live so it would be great exercise. I do love riding my bike, but the same reasons why I don't go on local hikes apply to why I don't get out on my bike a lot.

But I recognize that exercise is key. If I don't exercise, I don't lose weight. I was in great shape and slim when we did Macchu Picchu, but when we got back, I stopped exercising, put on weight, and find myself where I am now, 2 years later, trying to take it off again.

Last edited by newleaf123; 06-08-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #71  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Default Happy Monday!

Love to see all of the activity here! Glad to see everyone checking in on a regular basis.

Jacquee, I feel so much better when I get rid of excess stuff. What a great example you and your ex are for your kids. I always feel so bad for those whose divorce turns so nasty.

Dancerindenver- How about pretzels or some carrots and dip? Sounds like you may just need something to munch on.

Marie, I'm with you on the slow weightloss. I started out much quicker but have now slowed to about 2 pounds a month. I will say that even thought I am not losing as fast as before, I feel changes in my body and there is a big difference in how things fit. I try hard to focus on the non scale victories that I am noticing. For example, my patio chairs had little bars on the sides that dug into my legs and left marks. Now I can sit in the chairs comfortably without feeling them.

ICU, That's great. I say it's yours! You deserve it, change that ticker!

Newleaf, I hadn't thought about the classics in a while. My son has some from HS reading that I'm sure I would appreciate more now than I did when I had to read them! As for my reading taste, I'm pretty much all over the place. I've read most of Oprah's picks, I'm not real big on fantasy or Sci Fi. I just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Presmaggie, Great way to survive the buffet. I have also have a son who can really put it away too!

Cruise, any luck finding a swimsuit?

Hope everyone has a great monday. It's storming here so no outdoor walking this morning. I'll have to go get reacquainted with my Wii!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #72  
Heidi

Great non-scale victory, OnMyWay!! I felt one yesterday. I realized that when I sit in my office chair, I don't feel that extra tummy fat anymore when I lean in to type. Feeling that *should* have been my warning sign that I put on too much weight, but I didn't listen... I don't have any rolls anymore, for which I am thrilled! I've lost the most inches around my belly - 5.1" to be exact (compared to 4.5" for my waist and 3.5" for my hips).

I'm having a forced diet plan today. Our kitchen is being worked on, and the guys have taped plastic sheets over all our cabinets and refridgerator! I did eat breakfast before they came, and I also grabbed a banana for later before the counter got covered... Luckily we do have food and a fridge in the garage, so I should be okay...
Old 06-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #73  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Good Monday morning, chicks! I've changed the ticker. I am never going back!! 15 pounds in roughly 5 months - normality is MINE! This despite a decidedly unplanned and barely restrained weekend full of long-resisted stuff, like an Egg McMuffin, and a TB Chicken burrito supreme fresca (good, but wow - all this fast food is NASTY salty!!!). Back on track today - now to work on that safety margin. Thank God for all the 3FC'ers ... there are days where the only thing that saves me is the Mini Goals and Goal forums. I truly could not have done this without all of you! It's a trip to feel so confident of success!

presmaggie - I absolutely love your haircut and am probably headed that way myself. It complements your face so well!

Jacque, I love the decluttering process. It is eerily similar to losing weight - hard to get started, but once you do ... you wonder what the heck took so long!

Re exercise ... count me in. I don't like it and rarely look forward to it. That's the next big battle. I've gotten this far with very little exercise, and while I'm delighted with what the scale is doing, the next phase has to be focused on strength/flexibility. Newleaf ... I'm in awe of your hiking/climbing!

Cruise - high five!

Long post - and I still haven't gone back to reread everything I missed this weekend!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Finally figured out how to add titles!!

Newleaf - That's too bad that your youngest isn't a hiker (yet!) - it definitely is time consuming so I can see how that doesn't fit in perfectly. This is probably silly but my mom used to have us bike along side her when she ran when we were little. Depends on the age of your kids and their interest in biking but it might work : ) In any case, your Kilimanjaro plans sound great! I spent six weeks in Tanzania doing volunteer work a few years ago and it was an amazing experience. Didn't do the climb though but knew a lot of folks who did and they were glad they'd had the adventure.

Thanks, all, for the evening snack ideas - will give those a try!!
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #75  
Heidi

This is what our hike in Peru looked like; we were at 15,000' here, having climbed up from 11,000'. Then we went back down to 9,000'. 24 miles over 4 days. It was an absolutely incredible experience!