Old 04-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #1  
angelmom313

Post Suggestions please.

My daughter's graduation is coming up. She lives in another state. So, I am so embarrassed to go to her graduation looking like this. You know, the pictures, parties, etc. Yes I know it may sound superficial but I don't want the pics of me to be so humiliating. I know she would rather me be there as to not be there...so, I wouldn't even consider NOT being there because of something like this! If I must take the pics to make her happy and not ruin it for her, I will.

I am just being selfish here. If I could lose 30 pounds by then (May 23) I will be happy. So, I have some time. I know it is a lot, but I think it is do-able.

Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #2  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Personal trainer or fitness class, that would be the only way to do it IMO. You would probably have to workout about 5 x a week (which is a little extreme for a normal routine, IMO).
We don't all have cash for a personal trainer, however in this situation, it would work great (because you would only be paying for 2 months).
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would cut my calorie intake to about 1200 and workout daily--even then, I am not sure that many pounds will come off that quickly--if nothing else, it will get you started on your path--good luck..and I hear what you are saying..gosh there have been so many events and places I have been fat--gahhhhhhhh
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

Height: 5'8"

I agree with Thighs be gone that is a good plan but depending on what you're eating now, that may be a big change. Just make sure you're staying healthy in your weight loss. Also, Measure in inches so you can see the difference not just on the scale, but it'll really show you a difference if you feel that number isn't going down fast enough.

Good luck!
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom313 View Post
My daughter's graduation is coming up. She lives in another state. So, I am so embarrassed to go to her graduation looking like this. You know, the pictures, parties, etc. Yes I know it may sound superficial but I don't want the pics of me to be so humiliating. I know she would rather me be there as to not be there...so, I wouldn't even consider NOT being there because of something like this! If I must take the pics to make her happy and not ruin it for her, I will.

I am just being selfish here. If I could lose 30 pounds by then (May 23) I will be happy. So, I have some time. I know it is a lot, but I think it is do-able.

Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

What type of diet do you have now.....what is your daily intake or are you following a specific weight loss program alaready? As Vixjean siad the gym will help out a lot while not everyone can afford a personal trainer or a gym there are other options. Most gyms offer a free trial offer take them up on it they usually do that for a week see if you can etend it to two weeks and hit as many gyms as you can in the two months one right after the other expires take advantage of the classes and most will offer a free training session as well, it is all there just waiting for you to take advantage on it. But please do not get cought up on a number on the scale.....as we get older our body density changes go by your inches I am heavier today than I was at 16 years old and I look 50lbs slimmer. Good Luck
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Now see, I wouldn't even try to lose a great amount of weight in a short period of time like that. Maybe in years past I would have, but not now, knowing that severe diets and such just bring about more weight gain for me later. Slow, steady, and making a permanent change is what I'm all about now. I'd just go about losing weight between now and then healthily as I have been doing. And I'd simply concentrate on my daughter's achievement that day, feel loved by the fact that she wants me there and in her pictures, no matter how I look, and think of it as a great opportunity for "before" photos!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #7  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Angelmom, you can't stop living your life because you are unhappy with your appearance! Your daughter wants to share her accomplishment and celebration with you regardless of your size. I agree with Jacqui that this is a great opportunity for progress photos! I would slowly start to work in healthy changes and quit beating yourself up for the mistakes you have made in the past. Today is a new day!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #8  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

I think 30 pounds by May 23 is a rather tough goal. You would have to lose over 4 pounds a week! I don't think it is a realistic goal. Instead, work on changing your habits for a healthier lifestyle. Count calories and exercise regularly. If you lose 10 - 15 pounds you will certainly feel happy about yourself and be on track for more permanent weight loss. Don't let a number on the scale determine your ability to enjoy this event. Your daughter wants you there no matter what.

Best wishes to you!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #9  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

My son was married back in September 2005 and although I had almost two years to get my weight off I didn't start until two months before. I know how you feel; I was there. That June I was at my heaviest (186) and I was miserable and angry that I hadn't done anything but continued to gain weight. The thought of being the mother of the groom and all those pictures was overwhelming; not to mention all the family and friends that would be there.

I did lose 20 lbs. by the wedding but gained it and more back by New Years. I share this with you because it was my pattern; lose weight for an event or big day only to gain it back and more. The toll this took on my body was as bad if not worse than being overweight. I was pre-diabetic, my blood pressure had increased almost 20 points, my cholesterol by 20%, I have gallstones and I became depressed. All of this was as a result of weight cycling due to my vanity and wanting to be thin; it had NOTHING to do with wanting to be healthy. My "diet" was always some crazy fade and NEVER included exercise.

I am no longer on a diet or looking to be thin; today I am working of getting fit & healthy. The nice thing about no longer dieting is there is nothing to blow or go "off" of. Do I have days where I eat unhealthy or too much... yep, had one yesterday and I paid for it with a 1am wake-up call from my gall bladder. Although unpleasant it was a good reminder about what I am doing and why.

Today you can begin changing your life; eat less move more. For most people it really is that simple. The quick fix you are looking for will only make you more unhealthy than the extra weight.

Come graduation there is no reason that you can't be 15-20 lbs. lighter. Like others have said it will be an excellent opportunity for "progress" pictures. There will be plenty of other events that you can show up to with that smoking hot healthy body.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #10  

I'm with Jacqui and CruiseCat -- losing 30 pounds by May 23 is going to be really tough, probably not doable at your current weight, and will likely rebound on you because it would take some extreme measures to get there. Besides, your body might not cooperate because it might interpret extreme methods as a crisis and shut down your metabolism to conserve energy. That will give you grief for months, if not years, to come.

I know how you feel, trust me, and I'm pleased you're going to go no matter what. Just keep on with your current program, though, and try not to set deadlines. They are always self-defeating in the end.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #11  
angelmom313

Yes I am definitely going no matter what. Nothing would stop me from going. Yes I also agree that I can use those pics as good before or progress pictures. However, I cannot completely enjoy and share my happiness with her unless I at least try. I know 4 pounds a week is a bit much. I am still going to give it my best shot. If only 20 comes off...then so be it...

I also agree slow and healthy is the way to go...like I said though, I have to try!! Thanks for the good tips.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 236/232/150

Height: 5' 6"

I would say do your best between now and then, be faithful to your food plan and increase your exercise. Weight will come off, it may not be how much you would like, but it's a start.

I know how you feel, I really do. My son is getting married this June, and I too, am worried about the pictures, but I really liked what Jacqui D. and CruiseCat said. I'm going to do the best I can, and when it's time for pictures, I'm going to focus on the happiness of the occasion and not let my size ruin my mood.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you!
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #13  
angelmom313

Thanks for the suggestions. I am just gonna take it one day at a time and what "will be will be." I am sick and tired of stressing over my weight and "other" people's reactions to my weight...if they don't like it, they can take a long walk off a short pier!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

Angelmom...I like your attitude...yep, if they don't like it--tough! I think you are in the right frame of mind now. Just do your best and when the graduation approaches, buy yourself a nice outfit you are comfortable wearing. Hold your head up high, smile and oohh and aahh over your daughter's accomplishments. Nobody will even think about speaking poorly of the put-together, confident woman you are!
Lessofmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #15  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Angelmom, Lessof maur is right! You sound like you have the right attitude! Do what you can do, buy a great outfit, celebrate with confidence! We are here for support if you need us!

Last edited by Onmyway; 04-08-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote