Trouble Getting Started

• I can't decide if I should follow a "program" or use the tried and true method of eating less,,,excersise more. I am leaning toward the later,,,looking for suggestions from those who have successfully used this approach.
  • How about calorie counting? That is what I did in 2006 and lost a lot of weight (I have since found it) and am just starting this journey again for the last and final time. I track all my calories in Fitday and it works very well. Personally, if I say I am just going to eat less, that leaves too much room for error, I need to see the concrete #'s to make me accountable. Whatever you choose, good luck and the group here is awesome!
  • Another vote for calorie counting/tracking what you eat/exercise plan

I use Fitday, too...but check out The Daily Plate as well. They both have free versions.
  • calorie counting
  • I used Sparkpeople to get started. Same thing as fitday.
    But I also stole some ideas from my mother`s dr. My mother was put on a 1500 cal diet for diabetes. Very sensible diet- well rounded- balanced- still eating everything I like- just less of it.
    After I got the hang of it I stopped logging the food. I need to get back to it now and then though, because I lose track of portion sizes.

We also have watches that track our calories burned and heartrate. This has helped us ALOT. It turns out that I was not burning nearly what I should have been in a day. Not even in a workout. Now I know I have to keep my hr up between 130 and 160 for 30-45 mins in the morning to get the boost I need for the day. I can burn 3000 calories in a day If I do that and walk in the evening.
    Terry
  • I say start with calorie counting and exercise and see if that works for you. I've done that, done ww, and I'm personally just not disciplined enough so I'm going to start a meal delivery program (I chose BistroMD). I know the right way to eat, I just have no will power, and I finally had to admit that and find something else to try. Good luck!
  • Aquariangirl~
    Whatever works for you is what you should do. Personally if I'm not "on" a program, then I'm off altogether. This site is wonderful though...the support and accountability will work (for some) as well as a program. I believe it's the not feeling like you're alone.
    Like HadEnough, I've done the programs and found success. The problem was taking my eyes off of a goal.
    Keep us posted on how things are going for you. I wish you every success!
  • I've been thinking about this too of late. I agree with the others that when first starting out, it's good to have a plan to follow cos it teaches you which foods to eat, which to cut back on, the healthy cooking methods (grill, steam, use spray oil or even just fry in water), right portion sizes etc.

When I first started in Nov 2004, at 232lbs, i did Weight Watchers points. it taught me correct portion sizes, that i could bulk up meals with more veggies, cut back on my portions of pasta. I got results i was happy with too. I also started regular exercise classes.

Now I "know" what works for me. i realise i lose fat if I exercise, cut back on the bad guys (the choc bars, the chips etc) and load up more on veg, fruit and water. I'm not perfect at it, if I were I wouldn't weigh 194lbs! But all the things i learned previously help out a great deal.

When starting too I for one get this idea that I want it all to go perfectly and for me to drop weight each week. The reality is that I mess things up, it goes wrong, etc etc. Writing down what works for me helps a LOT. I write my food intake and exercise down along with how I feel. This then gives me a whole lot of ideas which work. It's a bit of trial and error, a bit of trying things and monitoring the results. if something doesn't work for me, i ditch it even if it's worked wonders for someone else. I keep in mind too that this is not a sprint, it's a marathon. Slow and steady will win the race.
  • Aquarian, I'm also starting fresh. Like most of us, I'm a "professional dieter" - which I've decided is the problem! This time around, am just trying to learn how NOT to diet. I think it's all about self-care, and respecting yourself enough to care for yourself well (healthy food & exercise).

That being said, yes, some kind of plan is needed. What does that look like? Something healthy, reasonable and sustainable. Calorie counting seems like a good way to go. But I'm still learning.

I look forward to chatting on the boards!
  • I just started using FITDay.com and I think its going to be easy. But I am relying on the South Beach Diet to get me going. I think it will keep me on track (maybe its my sub-conscience). But either way, its a good guide to get me started. I can turn to the book for another source and method of guidance.
  • Quote: I say start with calorie counting and exercise and see if that works for you. I've done that, done ww, and I'm personally just not disciplined enough so I'm going to start a meal delivery program (I chose BistroMD). I know the right way to eat, I just have no will power, and I finally had to admit that and find something else to try. Good luck!
    I felt the same way... it's just too time consuming.
  • Fitday.com, the easiest nutrition/calorie counter I've ever used.
  • Quote: I can't decide if I should follow a "program" or use the tried and true method of eating less,,,excersise more. I am leaning toward the later,,,looking for suggestions from those who have successfully used this approach.
    My mom used to say to me when I was a kid and having to face the challenge of cleaning up my horrendously messy room: "It doesn't matter where you start. Just start anywhere."

I think the same applies to weight loss, fitness, and health. If your room is that messy, starting ANYWHERE will be an improvement. You can always change your "plan" as you go along.
  • The decision to lose the weight is the first step. Unfortunately there are so many programs out there right now it is hard to say what might work for you! I myself have tried almost everything there is. I started Metabolic Research Center on the 2nd and am hoping to lose about 63 pounds. It is basically portion control, something I am very bad at. Good luck in your venture, which ever way you decide to go. Just be strong and stick with your decision!