Alabama Newbie

• Hi everyone......

My name is Teresa. I am 45 years old. I am divorced with 2 teenagers. I am 5`2" and weigh in at 238. I have been trying to diet alone and things are just not going well, to say the least. I've tried Weight Watchers--more than once, but I seem to just learn additional ways to get more food in me with less effort and guilt. (sounds strange, eh?) I just can't seem to get in the weight loss groove---and when I do and things don't go well--I just "beat" myself up and give in and eat like crazy. I have started a vitamin regimen with what I seem to think would cover any deficiency I could blame my lack of weight loss on.

I work all the time and I am tired the rest of the time, so I don't have a social life that doesn't involve the tv or computer.

Reaching out and asking for help is very, very difficult for me, but here I am.
    I have looked around a bit here and it all seems a bit overwhelming. I hope to get used to things and figure it all out and take advantage of any support that comes my way. I am very good at GIVING support and encouragement, but I really suck at accepting it.

• Hi Teresa welcome to the 40 somethings. You took a big step and reached out. You will get lots of support on here. We're a friendly bunch.

Pop in the chat thread we all hang out there and most of us try and post on a daily basis.

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • Hi Teresa
    I have only been a member a few short weeks, and I have gotten so much from this group of wonderful people. So much motivation and so much advice. I have also tried many diets and basically we all know what to do. What I have found was I NEED TO EAT to lose weight. I was stuck for so many years not eating breakfast and only eating a power bar for lunch and then I was so hungry at dinner I would eat too much of good healthy foods. I really messed up my metabolism. I am now eating 3 healthy meals a day with two healthy snacks. I have lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I am also drinking more water and of course walking each night. GOOD LUCK to you and we are all here for you!
    Suzy
  • Welcome!
    Welcome! I've only been here a week or so, and it's been great. Read a few threads, then jump right in. I have lacked for support in the past too. In fact, with my family I feel downright ashamed to even talk about the problem (I'm the only one who's overweight at my house) . So, I reach out to strangers. It's easier. A lot easier. My husband doesn't even know my weight. He thinks I weigh less than he does!! Either he is flat-out lying to me, or he is just plain blind.

Anyhow...

welcome

hopefuldreamer
  • Hi Dillybar,

Just like the others here, I'm pretty new here, too.

You've got a lot going on in your life. I joined weight watchers with the exact same goal. *grin*

Okay. I'm just gonna tell you what I've been doing. I started August 1. It might sound funny, but today is August 13, I haven't cheated and it's the longest time I've been on a 'plan' without doing so.

I decided I'm going to *attack* my weightloss.
    I registered at Fitday. It is the best diet plan I've ever seen. (Yikes! Fitday ISN'T a plan, it's just that actually SEEING what I'm eating has impacted me deeply!!!)
    I've been scouring 3FC.
    I've worked out 60-90 minutes every day. (I'm doing this for the next 15 days. I know that when school starts I'll need to reduce, so I feel this urgency to do what I can now... )
    I read Tyler Durden's/Josephine's blog every day. I don't think I'm permitted to post links here, but she's a member and I've read every one of her blog posts because I found them so inspiring.
    I spend a lot of time reading the goal and mini-goal pages. It's so helpful to see that real people, like you and me, can do this. *smile*.

I'm eating so much food. I've found a few things that are helping me. Rose's Canadian Bacon (Sams Club), tomatoes, OLIVE OIL (I can't believe this fits in my 'diet'!!!), Thomas' Whole Wheat mini bagels, Laughing Cow cheese, Skinny Cow ice cream, veggies).

I hope I'm not overwhelming you. And, I know I won't be able to keep this pace up forever. Again, I just wanted *attack* the problem instead of going the slow and easy way for a little while.

Take care and hang around! I'll be looking for you!
  • Thank you all so much for your warm welcome and also for the advice. I have got to do some "scouring" myself and find out how I am going to attack this weight thing. Thanks again!
  • Welcome Teresa! Congratulations on reaching out and taking those first steps! You'll find lots of help and support here. And lots of really great people going through many of the same feelings, emotions, issues, etc., that you are. It makes an amazing difference not going through it all alone!

Look around and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. You can do this!

Carol
  • Welcome Theresa. I am pretty new here also. There are a helpful supportive group of people here. Good luck to you.