Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #1  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Default I this rude?

Maybe I am being overly sensitiive...but...I have had it with guests that have such restrictive diets that they can only eat/drink certain things...yet they make you list everything you have in your kitchen.

Last night a co-worker came over for dinner. I asked if she wanted something to drink. She asked what I had. I told her beer, wine, coke, diet coke, iced tea, crystal light and water...oh and some soy milk if she was feeling really brave. She tells me she is pregnant so she isn't drinking artificial sweetners, caffine or alcohol and has had enough water today. Do I have any regular milk? THE ONE FREAKIN DRINK I DON'T HAVE IS THE ONLY THING SHE WANTS TO DRINK!!!!!!!

Why do I have to list everything I have if all you want is one certain thing. Why not just ask if I have milk in the first place?! This seems to happen every time I offer someone something to drink. I try to keep some variety for guests even though all I ever drink is water and crystal light. But some people seem to go out of their way to NOT be satisfied.

Am I the only one?

Thanks for letting me rant!

D
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It would save time if you only offered one thing. Then she can ask if you have milk, then you can say,"no, sorry." I think some people forget that you have a private home not a restaurant. On the other hand they may just be dumb.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Not sure how you can have too much water in a day??!!

I do tell people before I visit that I'm vegan and what that entails but I normally bring my own supplies just in case. No I'm not going to just drink/eat whatever if it goes against my personal ethics because it's what you have on hand but I don't expect you to worry about it!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 281/251/165

Height: 5'6

My step brother's ex girlfriend was very restrictive of what she ate, she would only eat chicken without the bones, she wouldn't eat any meat with bones.. period. The list could go on, and on... She expected my mom to cater to her on every level, but my mom wouldn't have it.

If you have certain things you like (or don't) then tell people wayyyy ahead of time, so they can make other arrangements - don't wait until the last minute. I wouldn't be too keen on making more then 1 meal... =/
albertagirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

She definitely could have handled that better. If you are on a restrictive diet, that's fine, but plan ahead. Maybe she should have brought a cooler with her. Or, she could have just said, "No, thanks!"

But, I agree with Fat Chick B Gone, how can you have too much water??
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #6  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

What u can do is next time you have a gathering is tell people to B.Y.O.B -- Bring Your Own Beverage! lol. Or when inviting them say I will be having Iced Tea, Crystal Lite and Water to drink, if you want anything else, you may want to bring it with you.

Its hard to please everybody. I figure either they drink what I have or just go thirsty! lol.

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Honestly, i don't think it is a big deal or that she was rude. I have done the same thing, said "What do you have?" I don't expect anyone to serve me or appease me but is it really that big a deal that she asked what do you have and then didn't want any of the above? And maybe she thought you might have regular milk...I just don't see the big deal. And I took her comment about having enough water for the day as she had enough she is sick of it and didn't want anymore. That's just my 2 cents for what it is worth.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #8  
Good Charlotte fan !!

S/C/G: 184.2/176/135

Height: 5 foor 1 inch.

Hi :

I am on a restrictive diet ( by most people's standards ) as I am a new vegan, and I also do not eat wheat, soy or sugar.

BUT ........................... I bring my own food, water and whatever else I need to the person's house. I never expect anybody to try to understand why I eat as I do, nor do I want anybody to have any extra expense due to my only eating organic produce.

I usually go to somebody's house for their company, so eating there is not much of an issue anyhow. I either eat before going, or just pack a bag of things I can have, and call it a day.

Last edited by FairyVickie; 07-26-2008 at 03:26 PM.
FairyVickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

how can you drink too much water.

oy

we are all picky and restrictive in our food plans in my circle of friends. dinner plans often involve multiple emails planning food..
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #10  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I agree with FrouFrou really. I'm on the 'it's no big deal' wagon. If it was something ridiculous like "I don't eat any food that's purple" and then she was a snob about it - sure. But since she's preggers it seemed pretty normal. She was probably hoping you had regular-sugar koolaid, or fruit juices, or as she asked, milk. But if the dinner was planned ahead of time, she could have brought something, sure. Sounds like a case of innocent assumptions

Ps - I definitely get tired of water!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've said I've had "too much water" before. I think you folks are reading wayyyy too much into that comment.

I've had days where I've finished my full bottle of water and thought ... Lord, if I have more water I'm going to float away. At that point I"ve had "too much water" and I really want a coke or some tomato juice or something that's NOT WATER. Argh.

Don't take everything so 100% literally. Sometimes a phrase is just a phrase.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #12  
k8t
k8t

Default Couple of ideas to share

1) Several of our friends and neighbors always ask what their options are for drinks and then always choose water anyway. (Even if they were standing by when I went through the list for someone else.) Therefore, whenever my husband and I host our get-togethers, I just post a list of what drinks we have available on the fridge with a friendly note to feel free to help themselves. A tad laid back? Maybe. Less frustrating? Very.

2) Sweet Leaf Liquid Stevia flavored drops for water are fantastic .... four or five drops give a great flavor, no calories, help control blood sugar levels, and are all natural. (For those who have not heard of Stevia, it is a very sweet herb.) If you are dying for a soda, you can put the drops in a glass of plain carbonated water. They come in multiple flavors and can also be used in teas and such. A bottle costs a little bit depending where you buy them, but they last a long, long time.
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I've said I've had "too much water" before. I think you folks are reading wayyyy too much into that comment.

I've had days where I've finished my full bottle of water and thought ... Lord, if I have more water I'm going to float away. At that point I"ve had "too much water" and I really want a coke or some tomato juice or something that's NOT WATER. Argh.

Don't take everything so 100% literally. Sometimes a phrase is just a phrase.

I agree. I'm sure this is what she meant. It is, however, possible to drink to much water. I can't post links yet (drat for not remembering my old info and not still having that email!), so just google Hyponatremia
Moon Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It is, however, possible to drink to much water.

Yep, my mother was hospitalized for it. Which is why I cringe whenever I hear someone say that coffee doesn't count or that for every cup of coffee you have to drink one or two cups of water to "make up" for the diuretic effects of the caffeine in the coffee - that kind of advice from her WW leader and fellow members that put my mom in the hospital, and permanently damaged her kidneys as a result.

Though technically, if you've had too much water for the day (in a physical sense) then you shouldn't drink ANYTHING further or eat any high water foods - as any liquid or water containing food, even most alcoholic beverages would "count" as water.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-11-2008 at 10:43 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #15  
Starting is half the task

S/C/G: 330/ticker/160

Height: 5'10

I might have asked what you had, unless I had something in mind. I wouldn't have asked for something you didn't say if you listed them all for me. But people are weird nowdays and do as they please. Manners would dictate not asking for something unmentioned in some households, but in most cases people don't abide by these unwritten laws anymore.
Cokia is offline   Reply With Quote