Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

Unhappy

Hello to Everyone and Welcome to Poofiemittens

I've had a kind of sloppy last couple of weeks. My daughter and i visited a friend in the Portland area last weekend and i switched to trying to eat reasonably mode rather than counting calories(my approach of choice). It worked briefly but after a bit i found myself slipping into grazing mode, which i accepted for the weekend. Then Tom arrived late Monday, after our return, and i thought maybe i would get into a better space for planning meals and counting calories, but was pretty low energy and unmotivated for most of the week. In the meantime i started reading "The Portion Teller" which focuses on limiting portion sizes and eating the recommended number of servings a day of the different food groups. So i've been studying the book and trying (kind of ) to transition over to this approach, which seems more sustainable, but i think i should be sticking to calorie counting until i have this other way figured out better. So i've been pretty sloppy with my foods, heavier on the refined carbs and sugars, lighter on the veggies and absolutely no tracking my foods.

Oh well--i'm sure glad 3fatchicks is here, with all of you in it for the long haul. I have no excuse to throw in the towel and now i know too much to go back, too much about healthy eating, so nowhere to go but mostly forward(as in 2 steps forward, 1 or 2 or 3 steps back) The "honeymoon" is over, so to speak but i have so many good examples here of people who continue on, sometimes quickly, sometimes not as quickly, but determined nonetheless and here i am.

I'm wondering do any of you have buddies that you report to as a way of helping keep you on track and honest? I'm wondering if that would help me.

Later to you all--
Old 07-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #197  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 194.6/188.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailey60 View Post
I'm wondering do any of you have buddies that you report to as a way of helping keep you on track and honest? I'm wondering if that would help me.
At first I thought I'd want to go it alone, but I think having a few people who know and encourage you is really helpful. I talk to my sister, and also to someone at work. I don't know if I'd say I "report to" them, but...I feel like they help keep me honest with myself.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

Hey all! Didn't do too bad over the nice, long weekend, didn't do too well either. Most of the situations were out of my control, I consider the results to be rather remarkable considering!

I wanted to sleep, OMG am I dragging bottom or what. Could NOT get to sleep last night to save my soul and now I'm sitting at work yawning the day away. Good grief.

Last week my youngest nephew announced he knew I'd written something because my handwriting is "all loopy." I hope he means that in a physically descriptive way and not a literal one!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #199  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/125ish

Height: 5'2''

Well, I have been back home 2 days and getting back on dieting track - didnt do to terribley aweful when I was at my daughters - even managed to loose a few pounds though Im not real sure how lol!!!!

Had a very rough first day back on Saturday - but am feeling better today. Went back to work - blah - but its good for me lol!!! I would be way bigger in the rear I think if I wasnt working - cause I would sit on my butt all day playing on line!!!!

Anyway - the humidity here is getting the best of me - I hate it!!! Cant hardly walk from the door to the car without melting!! (which might be a good thing if I could stand being outside lol)

Just wanted to say hey - will be trying to catch up on posts but from the looks of all I missed there is a good chance I will have to start over lol!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Rennie, I'm exactly the same way...my eyes open and I get up. I've been kind of MIA from 3FC, I hope all has been well with you.

Tech, Hope you're feeling better. The older I get the more allergies bug me too.

ToniLight, That's awesome!!! 40 pounds is a reason to celebrate!! Choosing to overeat steak and then rearranging your plan for a few days is a responsible way to indulge in something you know you're going to enjoy. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Carol, I hope your 4th was terrific too.

poofiemittens, Welcome. Clydegirl's right. There are a lot of really nice supportive people here.

djay, Here's to independence!!

snapless, I think that's what it's all about...changing up and making allowances for weather and moods...it sure beats throwing in the towel instead. Great job!!!

Diane, Hope you had a great time camping.

Ailey, Continuing to take those steps forward is what it's all about. They add up to success. I have not had a confesssional buddy, but I do think it could be helpful. 3FC is what's made it possible for me to succeed. I have a number of people on this site that I feel like I know and they are always supportive. Keep posting. It helps me a lot.

Kappy, Nice to hear from you.

theycallmemom, Wow a visit away and you still lost. That's terrific. It's super hot here too. DD and DS played baseball in 87* and 100% humidity yesterday. I don't know how they do it. I was miserable watching from my comfy chair with plenty of cold water to sip whenever I wanted.

I had a terrific vacation. It started with a huge b-day party for my DH, BIL, and FIL...free beer, food and dancing. I hadn't had that kind of fun in 7 years. The last time I did was at my niece's wedding...the weekend just continued in fun mode until yesterday when it was back to reality. DS turns 13 tomorrow. Oh my...Thursday it's a Brewer's game with the entire family to celebrate. Hope you're all havin' a rockin' Tuesday!

Last edited by lovnmom; 07-08-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #201  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi all, I'm back in town today. It is a Monday at work for me... oh boy. We had a great time camping and rode the horses a lot, so I'm a little sore today.
Really tired, but I better get moving!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #202  

Greetings all!

I'm a "signs" kinda person. As in when the press is all over the annoucement that food diaries can help people lose weight faster . . . it's in print, on the TV, on the radio. OK, I get it already! That means it's time to get back on FitDay and get serious about what's going on this time. It's butt kicking time and mine is first in line!

Very, very hot today, and the air quality is beyond awful. Saturday you could see a yellowish haze at the horizon, today you can see the haze within about 10 miles. Still trying to get Mom to go over to my place during the worst of the day and hang out in the ac, it's like trying to move a mountain. She has things to do! Funny, I consider breathing to be at the top of the list and she can do that better at my place. Maybe by Thursday she'll start to listen.

Nothing new on the job, still largely doing whatever I can find. Today it's on-line training. No wonder they want to "streamline" again!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #203  

I was an Ocean systems tech first, then converted to a Navy Counselor while I was a recruiter. I was in from 1979 to 1998.
Where were you stationed?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #204  
Andrea

S/C/G: 194/189.5/150

Hi to all! Glad to see Lovn back - I always enjoy your posts so much.

Not much to report from the Nutmeg State. Today was HHH - hazy, hot, and humid. And yet, what came in the mail but an LL Bean Kids catalogue, chock full of back to school heavy sweaters, snow boots, mittens, etc. Yeesh!

Over the weekend, we finalized our vacation plans. We'll be spending a week at the beach once DS's day camp program ends. I'm looking forward to that very, very much, although once we go, it will mean that summer's almost over. We always go to the beach...both my husband and I grew up with easy access to the ocean. We always joked when we were first married that if we ever had a kid who didn't like animals or the ocean, we'd send him back! Luckily, DS adores both and thus we don't need to return him...

Of course, the beach = bathing suit. At this time last year, I was almost 15 pounds lighter so I'm kinda disappointed in myself. However, my goal is to be 5 pounds less by vacation - August 18th - than I am now. I'll be thrilled if I can do that!

Must focus on Mets game...they're winning in the top of the 6th!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #205  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

lovn
Hi. Things are good. Finaly starting tomorrow morning things will be back to normal.

Sorry I haven't been around everyone. Finally all caught up here, doing laundry still tonight. Tomorrow is back on the normal schedule. I can't wait. This not being on a schedule has been killing me. I love routine.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #206  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Rennie, I'm with you on routine. While I love going on vacations and having some fun, when I get back, I want things to return to normal as quickly as possible. I have another 4 day trip to my parent's house in a couple of weeks and then we'll be done with vacations. Then, we'll just do weekends with fishing or riding horses. I'm actually starting to wish the kids were back in school!!!

Kappy, you felt the same way I did when I heard the news story on keeping a food journal. I have fought that as much as I can, but maybe it is time to give it a try. I don't like having to take the time to write stuff down, then go to the computer to put it into fitday or whatever other program. But, maybe that will make me think first about what I'm eating! So, I'm with you. I'll be second in line for the kicking butt!

Got some sleep last night, so I think I'll be doing better today. I was really tired. After riding horses and hiking, I'm kind of sore and tired, and it certainly takes longer to get over that than it used to!!

LetsGo: Good luck on losing the 5 pounds. I'll bet that you can do it! Then, you'll have more fun on the beach. Cool!

Lovn: Glad you had fun with vacation!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #207  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Morning girls.

I'm having my wisdom tooth out this morning

I don't like dentists.

Diane it's a long summer roll on August.

Fingers crossed, will check back in later.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #208  
Andrea

S/C/G: 194/189.5/150

Hang in there, Clyde. Whatever pain and discomfort you might feel, it will eventually pass, and it should be worth it in the long run!! Take care of yourself!!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #209  

Greetings all!

Hate food journaling, pain in the tuckus to try to figure some items out. But it is what it is, I fumble on!

Question about an observation in northern CA -- what's up with the folks who stop at a stop light or stop sign a full car length back from the white line for the intersection? Or two car lengths back from the car in front of them? When did this become the norm and why are more and more people doing it? I was taught that as long as you can see the back tires touching the pavement of the car in front of you, you're fine. Have enough room to manouver out if they stall or whatnot. But now traffic is backing up and blocking movement because two or more folks have decided for safety's sake they need a semi's distance between them and the car in front while stopped. Or they stop so far back from the line that they aren't on and haven't tripped the road sensors for the blessed light to change causing long delays. It started out being just one or two folks a day, now it's two or three per stop. What did I miss?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #210  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Well I'm back.

What a strange experience. He did it under local! Injected me up came back 15 minutes later and asked if my bottom lip and tongue were numb. To which I said no. He said let me have a look and before I could say ouch it was out!!
One suture in place. Thank god that's over.
Closed Thread