Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #316  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone! Sounds like some really busy weekends for everyone. I weighed in yesterday and went down a pound. I'll take that. I need to amp it up a lot, but baby steps right now are all I can handle. (how lame!)

Lovn: Cute avatar picture! You're really close to your goal, so I don't think you should worry about it too much. I don't think you want to go up, but you have to give yourself a little break! You've done well! Keep trying to make good choices every day and you'll be fine! But don't beat yourself up too much if you slip a little.

Clyde: What did happen with that game? I hadn't heard anything about it.

Well, my daughter has an ortho appt this morning, so she's coming to work with me and then we'll head over to the appt. I wish this would all end. I've had enough of making these appts.

LetsGo: My son's baseball team is now 0-6, so we're still waiting for that first win. I know it will come, but I've been very pleased with the boys' attitudes. They're still keeping their heads up.

Have a good day everyone!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #317  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Diane, Bravo on the loss. There's nothing lame about baby steps. I believe it's slow and steady that wins this race! As far as appts. go I've had it with having to be any place on time. I want some time to just chill with nowhere to go! The 6 losses has got to be tough on your son. It's terrific that he's keeping a good attitude. I know our season is going to go much the same. I'll cry for you now if you cry for me later. As for the avatar. I tried a bunch of times yesterday to put it down below, but every time it just ended up a box with a red x. It's me with my Corona and DD in her "Not the Girl Next Door" t-shirt...we both like a little fantacy now and then. I've been just so darn proud of her. Some of her friends have been making some pretty bad choices lately and she's been sharing what she's having to face with me and her dad. It's scary to hear about the changes in some of her friends, but we remain optomistic that as long as we're communicating her slope is not too slippery as of yet.
lovnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #318  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Morning girls.

Busy night we were painting until 11pm last night. It's 90% done, just the accent colour to do.

Not sure what happened at the game. I know from our local news that Molina was not happy with the calls from the umpire. They had a disagreement, he was thrown out and proceeded to take off all his gear at the plate. Then Tony Larussa continued the argument and he got thrown out as well! Not a good weekend in Milwaukee.

My house looks like a disaster zone. I need to go clean.

Rennie sounds like a fun weekend. Have you found your sock yet?
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #319  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hey everyone. I'm swamped. Swamped. 2 weddings this week, plus 3 engagement sessions. Sales tax is due on the 15th (*sob*) and I'm still trying to get caught up on filing. My office is a mess.

Clyde - yay on the weight loss. It's TOM for me, so my weight is being weird. *sigh* By Thurs things shoudl be back to normal. I love the colors you chose for your kitchen! I wish I were brave enough to pick such bold colors. I'm still living with the builders boring beige that's on the walls of my downstairs. I have umpty dozen paint chips of colors I like, but I thnk the problem is that I like ALL colors and I just can't make up my mind. Then I panic and go with the boring neutral colors. Gotta break out of that!!

Diane - I have so much respect for parents who get involved like you do. My friend with pancreatic cancer is really upset about not being able to be as involved with his kids activities now. It's just such a lot of time and such a lot of work ... and I would think dealing with the other parents is often harder than dealing with the kids!

Lovn - congrats on your daughter's confirmation. Mine was longer ago than I care to remember, but I have vivid memories of the party afterwards. Maybe that's because the house next door caught fire during my party and we all wound up in the yard watching the firemen put it out. Ahh ... memories.

Irish - so sorry about the plague in your house! We had that last month (at least just hubby and I ... but that is the whole household for us! ). It's the worst. Wish I had someone to come over and baby me when I was sick! Hah.

Letsgo - I'm sorry your kids didn't win, but it sounds like they gave it their whole hearts and that's the important part. Your mother's day sounds lovely - just sitting and chatting and enjoying each other's company. I miss having time for that during the wedding season.

Kappy - hang in there. I know how frustrating it is to not know where you fit in or what's going to happen. I do some data contracting periodically and because I'm a floater I never know where I'm gong to be, who I report to, or what I might be handed to do on any given day. Thank heavens that it's wedding season and my contracting is limited until later this year!

Shy - too too too funny about the sock. Sounds like something I'd do. But what a sweetie your daughter is for taking you out and dressing you!

Nothing new with me. As I said above, I'm swamped. And it's only going to get busier.

My friend with PC received the official, yes we're confirming it, the biopsy is back, diagonsis today and it *is* pancreatic cancer. He's working on getting a 2nd opinion from a surgeon at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He starts radiation and chemo on Monday, and they're trying to get him placed in a clinical trial that seems to be showing some success in shrinking tumors. If the tumor can be shrunk away from the veins and arteries in his abdomen, they can go in and do a Whipple procedure (remove the pancreas, part of the stomach, part of the intestine, etc.) and hopefully give him some time. Unfortunately PC outcome is not positive, even if they get the whole thing. 5 year survival rates are 15% or less and often the cancer comes back in the lungs. I try not to be sad around him but it's hard, knowing that his chances of really "beating" this are pretty much non-existant.

Sorry to be a downer. It's been weighing on my mind the last few days and over the weekend, since I haven't been able to see him in person.

Ok, that's my update for today. Next one will be more cheerful, I promise.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #320  

S/C/G: 190/165/140

Hey everyone - did you miss me? I was at the farm all weekend and worked out of town yesterday so didn't have access to email / internet. I've truly enjoyed reading everyone's Mother's Day adventures. Here's to all of you. My mother's day was uneventful, which is what I love. No worries, no bothers, just nothing. I did buy some towels for the farm house. Today my daughter decided since she's not been there to help out that much that she'd go down there today and clean the bathrooms and such - something I've been putting off for a couple of weekends. I called her a few minutes ago and asked her what are you going? She said "cleaning"! DUH!!!

I weighed in yesterday and only lost .2 lbs. It's better than a gain, but I'm getting to that point that I'm worried no more will come off. But I keep telling my self it will and to stay on track. I actually made enough food last night to last me a couple of nights worth of dinners. Something I hate to do - cook after a long day at work.

Photo - I'm so sorry about your friend - I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Rennie - I've not laughed so much in a long time - thanks for the great story. It made my day! Maybe you should ask for socks for Christmas! haha.

Lovn - how long have you been dieting? Your only 5 lbs. from your goal and I was just curious as to how long it's taken you to loose it -- your picture looks great! I'm going to try to put mine on so you guys can look at me when you talk to me!

Diane - I remember the days when my son's teams were 0 - whatever - but they continued to have fun. But I must admit, they were indeed disappointed when they didn't win - but the snacks after the game made them forget pretty fast! Just keep "coaching" him into having a good time - you must be so proud of him!

Well I guess that's it for now - I start my first day with my personal trainer tomorrow - too bad he's not good looking! hahaha.

Have a great TUESDAY!
gtmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #321  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
Rennie - I've not laughed so much in a long time - thanks for the great story. It made my day! Maybe you should ask for socks for Christmas! haha.
Hah. You know in my family, a story like this would guarantee that you got a packet of socks every year for Christmas for the next 10 years.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #322  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Photo
I bet I get dozens of different kinds of socks at Christmas times. We do trips with the old dears from the church several times a year. They got such a kick out of it more because I am so darn organized than anything else. I can't wait to see my Christmas presents. I am so sorry for your friend. Has to be harder than I can even imagine to have something that isn't likely to go away. Will keep you and your friend in my prayers.

gt
Might just be time to tweak what ever you are doing. Take a look at what you are eating. Maybe it is a bit to much fat or carbs. Just lowering something a 1 or 2 grams sometimes can make all the difference. Oh I am never going to hear the end of the sock thing lol.

Clyde
Yes, it was in the drawer. See, you all laugh how organized I am in all things. This is the very reason why. I do not do things quickly. I know it was on my mind that my daughter was sick and that was the foremost important thing and I just started stuffing a bag with clothes but darn I could have at least make sure I had two socks lol.

lovn
It is sad to see the changes some kids go thru. My daughter is going thru the same problem. Kids that she has been friends with for years are now doing things that are totally against what she thinks is right. She is having to form a whole new groups of friends and that takes time. This all started last summer. She and this groups of girls went to the water works park. I guess she didn't end up hanging around any of them instead hung out with some girls that she knew but wasn't real good friends with. She came home and said something like, Mom you wouldn't believe it, the bathing suits they had on an emergency room wouldn't even be able to use a band aids lol. I was blown away when she took me shopping. Hubby and I are the only ones in the family that never ever ever put a touch on them. I had an outfit to wear to the zoo and I washed the socks I had on lol. I didn't need for her to get me anything. That family of his. I have never seen so many adults that have to suck mom and dad dry all the time. I remember last year for Christmas they all asked for really expensive things lol. I asked for a pack of blank DVDs. His mother just laughed and said I was going to break the bank with my requests. One year I asked for a case of mountain dew lol. One summer she got me one of those bigger camping chairs because I was having such a hard time with my hip and needed to be able to curl up in the chair. My regular chair just wasn't quite big enough to be able to do that in. Now mind you, the chair wasn't real expensive about 15 dollars but to me that is a lot of money and he was working at a nasty job not making a thing since the place he had worked at closed down. She went out and got it for me and I had no idea she was doing to do that. I hadn't said a word to her, I guess in conversation he had mentioned I wanted to get one. His sisters really raised a ruckus about that. Have you ever noticed the people who do all the work to makes things run smoothly are the ones that never get any thanks. It isn't that we want thanks but darn it would be nice from time to time to get some acknowledgment.

Slash
The loss is great. Remember it was the turtle that won the race.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #323  

Clyde, I have a girlfriend who has every room in her house eggshell white. She paints the ceilings the same color so she never has to worry about taping things off or matching etc...she hangs great curtains and her house always look spiffy. Less maintainance. Makes sence to me!!

Photo, Please don't apologize. I hope you come here and get support whenever you need it. Your family sounds fun!

gt, this time around I've been at it for 2 years. I made tiny specific changes and have lost 1-2 pounds per month. I feel like I have the time to just better myself. Even though I've been at it steadily for so long I still feel like a slump could just be the start of me returning to my unhealthy ways. Bad habits are so much easier to form than good ones you know. I spent a lot of time this morning bopping around in the weightloss support threads and I'm feeling much more optomistic. This has been a good food and exercise day. 3FC is the best thing I do for myself to keep on track. Good luck with the trainer. I'd love to see you when I talk to you too!

Rennie, My husband too has some real moocher siblings. They are getting better, but since the youngest of them is 33 y/o they should be completely taking care of themselves. My in-laws allow it. They give and give, but then complain. I say you reap what you sew! Our children would have to be starving for my hubby to ask for something he didn't earn. I use to get jealous, but no more. I'd rather have my dignity.You need to add another smiley my friend. You are down 55#. Super duper job!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #324  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Default Photo - hang in there

and really try hard not to be sad around your friend. That is the best thing you can do to help.

As a cancer survivor myself - we all know the "odds" etc - but people do get better. Those are total % figures and what they mean is that some people do beat it - and each individual has every chance of being one of the ones that does regardless of the overall % numbers.

The odds of winning the lottery are astronomical - yet some people do win.

Hang in there sweetie - and do fun things with your friend - support them - and be positive for them - don't be afraid to just be with them

((hugs))

C.
sillycat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #325  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Default GT - hang in there - plateau's come and go

I'm in one too at this moment - but I know that progress will be coming in the future.

tweak your diet / exercise and change things up - i think our bodies adjust to what we do and try to maintain their steady state - so shaking it up can be the key.

C.
sillycat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #326  
Rennie

Lovn
Thanks, thought I had added it. I just don't understand some people. I am the same way as you. My kids would have to be going without food for me to ask for anything. His sisters are always getting their folks to keep the eclectic or gas on. Pay for this or that. His mother has to work ( she is an interpreter for the deaf ) because they can't make it on their social security and his retirement. The money they get between social security and his retirement is more than some people make and yet, because the kids mooch off them so much they can't live on it. His sisters should be ashamed of them selfs, they aren't. His mother can't keep doing this. It is really starting to effect her hands and she is in her late 60's now. They better do something soon with their kids or they are going to be old and have nothing at all.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 05-13-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #327  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Talked to the new boss and new team members today, I can breathe again. So much better than what had been described on the 1st! A challenge, but not so bad. Heaven help me somebody said they expect the strike next year to go on for 6 blessed months. I think they're insane and the company will have problems we'll never get over if they're seriously thinking that, but hey, that's NEXT year!

Photochick, I have to tell you. An ex-boss of mine has an incurable form of leukemia. Average life after diagnosis is 7 years. She's on year 9. My co-worker on the 3rd round of breast cancer has a 70% survival chance. They say at this stage it is also incurable. I'd be willing to bet she's still around in 5-10 years too. They have a very positive mental attitude, it makes a huge, huge difference. Your going through what they call pregrieving. Happens to everyone who has somebody they care about with a life threatening diagnosis. Do that on your own time. When you are with him be in the here and now, be supportive, do what you can with him. Movies, the park, fishing, lay on the grass and figure out what the clouds look like, whatever he wants to do. Or sit on the couch and watch tv or movies. Get a group together and play some super competitive board games or cards. It's all good and goes a long way towards boosting his emotions, and that's the hardest battle. He just needs to know he still has friends. Anybody who cares as much as you clearly do is that. The road ahead may be incredibly long, ugly and bumpy. The road right beside you both right now is beautiful, full of spring flowers and cute squirrels, puppies, and kittens. Stay in the now, it's enough while you're with him.

Speaking of puppies. Mom took care of sisters 6 month old black lab. OMG. Terror on paws, I swear to heaven. Shreads everything she can get her teeth on if you aren't paying attention. So we go to dinner one night, leave her in the relatively clean car. Came back, chaos. No kidding, that pup found every napkin, every empty plastic bottle, nephews hockey tape, a hockey stick blade, and Mom's car registration and proof of insurance. You know that saying "the dog ate my . . . "? It's based in fact. Her car registration and proof of insurance are now more tape than paper, and they both have some holes in them. There's enough there that the police would be satisfied, but I can't wait until she goes into the DMV to get a new copy of her registration. White hair, cane, limp, the whole show and a dog that ate her registration. Might have to sell tickets for that!
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:14 AM   #328  
Rennie

kappy
labs can be that way. Make sure she has plenty of toys. I have had labs all my life. If you are going to leave them alone when they are under a year old. You have to make sure they have something to do lol. My son was able to tell a teacher ( and not be lying ) the dog ate my homework lol.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #329  

Yesterday was just the kind of day I enjoy. Weather was good and I was able to get 3 loads of laundry dried on the line. I did not have to work. I put off any community duties that need being done. I read Health magazine cover to cover and visited 5 or 6 support threads here at 3FC. The dog and I walked 4 miles to the neighboring town, had a drink of water from the bubbler, turned around and walked home. We saw 1 deer, 1 turtle, 1 snake and a whole lot of birds and wild flowers. Round trip was 8 miles. I took the kids to the library. Everybody got books and movies and we had fun looking at old year books from the local high school. Some of the kid's teachers have been there for 30 years. They found them quite entertaining! We came home and I only gave them tuna salad sandwiches and some cold sides for supper. Easy on me. Like I said, the perfect kind of day. I spent enough time on myself and reading about healthy living that I'm feeling back on top of things. Not one mouthful was off plan yesterday. Imagine that!!
Have a great Wednesday!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #330  

S/C/G: 190/165/140

Good Morning all...had my first workout this morning with my personal training and it went really good. He said I was in better shape than he thought I was (what does that mean!!!) But anyway, it worked out well. It's a totally different routine than what I'm used to and I'm hoping it will help me get out of this plateau!!

My husband gave me my mother's day / birthday present yesterday - a Garmin GPS for my car. Not only do I know how to work the darn thing, it has blue tooth, MP3 for Music and you can download books to it to to listen to while your driving....needless to say - it's going to take a while to learn it, but I love it just the same. And as he was helping me learn it yesterday, he blurted out....I WANT ONE!!! I looked at him and told him he didn't need one - he wasn't on the road as much as me and if needed to use mine for travel he could. I can't have anything unless he has it too! This is my present! But I didn't tell him that....

Anyway - I'm hoping today will be a good day - I need to sell something. Need to start working on my June numbers. But for some reason, I just don't want to think about it right now. I'm sleepy and need caffeine. Speaking of caffeine, they say don't have any of that while your dieting. I can go without the diet soda because I drink a lot of water...but lack of my coffee in the morning is still a struggle - even after 2 months of not having it. Any advice?

Guess that's all for now - hope everyone has a great day!
gtmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote