fosamax and weight gain

• Hi, I'm on the upper end of the 40's ... 48. I'm menopausal, though I have some bleeding sometimes, but not much. My gyn says that this is typical. May 07, I had a D&C and had a polyp removed.

About 9 months ago, I had a bone scan. My tscore: -1.49 - osteopenia. Many sources suggested that no meds were needed, but my gyn highly recommended Fosamax. I was really hesitant to take it. I've been taking Fosamax without any problems, except ...

I've been gaining weight since taking Fosamax which is a scary thing for me after losing 70 lbs. I've gained 10 lbs, most of which has been since taking Fosamax.

I don't think I'm looking for excuses, but may I am. Can Fosamax promote weight gain? I've been holding for 3 weeks now which is good,but I really need to go back down at least 5 lbs.

thanks. cbryant
  • fosamax
    one more thing ... I'm exercising, strength training more than ever and still eating like when I was loosing. I vary my exercise/strength training and my food intake. cbryant
  • I've been taking Fosamax for 2 1/2 years and I haven't noticed any weight gain that I would attribute to Fosamax. You might want to check with your physician...everyone's body reacts different, so just because I haven't, doesn't mean it's not true for you. Just thought I'd share my experience. Good luck!!