Any 40+ new Moms/Moms of preschoolers?

• I had my baby girl in June, and turned 45 this month. My son will be 4 next month. A lot of my high school friends are sending their kids off to college, and most of the other moms at my son's preschool are MUCH younger than I am. Most of his "teachers" could possibly be my kids!
    I don't regret my choices at all, as a matter of fact, for me personally, I am a better mom now than I would have been 20 years ago. Everybody's gotta do what's right for their lives! But, it does put me in a strange place as far as finding friends with things in common.
    Anybody out there?
    Kim
  • You're One of Us...
    Hey Kim,
    There's a bunch of us "older" moms. I prefer to see it as a seasoned adult who decided to enjoy the miracle of children...or else, as my cousin put it, I'm an old fart who was having more fun than expected.
    Check out p.2 or the 40-somethings thread. There are a group of us who checked in on a similar thread "Anyone here 40-plus with Pre-schoolers?"
    I've got a 3 yo. I love being a mom at this age. I'm more laid back now than I was when I was in my 20s or early thirties. I can understand wanting to "relax and not be so involved" in a child's life at this age, but for me personnally, it's definitely better this way.
    I get asked the "grandma" question sometimes and just grin. It's actually kinda fun to see people get uncomfortable because they're afraid they've offended me over my age. (It sure beats offending me over my weight!) I've also been asked if I adopted. (I've given the "I've got the C-section scar to prove it" response much to the asker's chagrin.) It all makes me laugh - probably because for once it's not me putting my foot in my mouth!
    I think it's great to have kids whenever a person can enjoy them, 20 or 50.
    Have fun!
    Cammie
  • Hi Kim,

I am an "older mom" too, I guess. I am 40 and I have a 16 month old baby girl, and two older children, ages 9 and 7. I wanted the third baby about a year after #2 was born, but DH was defiantly happy with two children. It took me 5 long years of begging before he gave in and I had my baby girl in April of 06. My dh said to me the other day, "You are so right, she was missing in our lives. Why did we wait so long?!" Oh well, better late than never.
  • I am 42. And have a 3 & 5 yr old. I've never ever been asked if I were the grandma. If that day ever came I would flip out. I just waited until I was 33 to get married, and had kids later in life. I have never told my friends how old I am. They've guessed 35 and I'll take that. Most of them are 29-31.
    I think weight ages people as well, and I'm hoping once I actually lose some weight then I'll look a little younger too.
  • I turned 40 in August. In early June, I was out with my 3-year old daughter (my only child), and the hostess at a restaurant asked my daughter if she was having a fun day out with her grandma. I was mortified!!!
  • Isn't that an AWFUL feeling? I had that happen with my 2 yr old son when I was 43 at a Denny's. Do you know I have not set foot in that restaurant since!?!
  • HI, I'm 46 and have a 5 yr daughter. I also have a 19 yr son in college and none in the middle. I think it is great being a Mom now. I enjoyed my son but it is nice not to worry about certain things like I did back then. Like money. When my husband and I pick her up at school they think we are the Grandparents. This only happens when my husband is with me not when I'm alone. He is 8 yrs older than I am. Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy. Soon they will be in college.
  • Hi everyone, I am 42 years old and the mother of three great kids Son aged 15, Daughter aged 14 and Daughter aged 4. I was the one who didn't want more kids, was happy with two but then decided you know it would be okay to have another child so we tried and there you go....wouldn't change it for anything and my two oldest are so helpful makes a big difference, never been asked if I was her grandmother though, but most people think I am about 32 years old (good genes) when they guess my age...