Old 07-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 202/see tracker/165

Height: 5'8"

Default 5-day friday check in

Hi 5-dayers!

Yesterday I did great with my food. Logged in to Fitday, planned what I would eat, ate regularly so as not to get too hungry and stopped eating at 7pm. (Who is this woman? )

Exercise - not as good. Went for a walk but only about 1/2 mile because it was so humid. But I gotta tell ya - that's more than I've done in the past so I'm not too unhappy.

Today, I'm leaving the office at 1pm - hair cut, manicure, grocery shopping then home for a walk with my mom.

I don't log in over the weekend so here's my plan in advance:

Eat like a human!
Walk whenever possible.
Clean the house Saturday morning.
Garden in the afternoon.
Be nice to my poor mother who makes me nuts (I'm her caretaker, say a prayer for us both).
Town fair on Sunday afternoon.

I'll check in later!

Hope
hopingtobehopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #47  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

good for you Hope....keep up the good work...

I am still on plan....again yesterday I felt like I overate but when I logged everything in I was ok...

still swimming...havent gotten out for that walk yet, but doing alot of housework....
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm all over the map on this one. Yesterday I ate a truck load and today I couldn't care less about food. I did, however, exercise both days.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #49  
returning to myself

I am liking the challenge ...it keeps me mindful...plus I feel like I am only dieting 5 days at a time!!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default 5 days

Laura,
That's part of what works for me too.
For me it's just a "Five Day Focus." If I'm more focused on my "hard days" it seems that they're easier. (That may sound stupid, but it works for me. "It's just 5 days," I keep telling myself. My activity levels are definitely up and (relief) so is my motivation.
(For instance, today driving in to work, I remembered that I forgot some necessary items for tonights activities. Normally I'd drive home at lunch time, get what I need, and not work out. Not today. I'm planning on leaving early and coming back to work out.) Why? Because today's a focus day.
I'm glad this concept is working for someone else too.
Cammie
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #51  

Default Monday, Monday

Good morning all,

Congratulations to everyone for hanging in! I agree, it's easier focusing on a few short days vs. how much time it's going to take to lose this weight and get in shape. When I think about the long haul, I get scared that I will slip back into bad habits. But when I focus on today, I can do it. The old saying, "It's easier to eat an elephant bite by bite than with one big swallow." Of course, I am trying not to feed my elephant, just this human body!

Did pretty good over the weekend. Never once di I eat unconciously. Everything that went into my mouth was thought about. I did have a small popcorn at the movies Saturday night, but I planned for it and had a small dinner before hand. Had 1 cup of reduced fat ice cream last night, but again, I planned on it in advance. Ate a ton of veggies and good fruit. Walked on Saturday and also cleaned the garage, which is hard work. Weeded the gardens on Sunday with a lot of deep knee bends and then went to a fair and did a lot of walking.

Exercise is a hurdle for me. I have so little time in my life that I'm trying to incorporate it into my regular activities. (Thus the squats while gardening. I'm sure my neighbors were getting a kick out of it.)

I love, love this thread!!!! And having all of you out there and working is a great help!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #52  
returning to myself

I am down 2 lbs again this week!!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #53  

Iminhere! You rock!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #54  
returning to myself

thank you Hope!!

we ALL rock baby, YEA!!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #55  

Default My 5 day challenge results

Five day results:
Laura - FANTASTIC news! Your work is paying off!
As for me, I've got some NSVs...
My activity level has significantly increased. (From Thursday 5 July thru Monday 9 July I had only one day that I didn't exercise at least a little and that was Thursday). My actvities included biking, walking, "hiking" (read walking in a nature park), and water jogging.
My food journal was sporadic at best, but by Monday I actually got the whole day into the journal - Yay! When I figured out that I ate 850 calories for supper (oh my gosh! ) and (you're not going to believe this...) 105 carbs! I realized that my carb count is definitely too high for me to expect weight loss. (I guess I suspected that.)
Also in my journal, I asked a rather pointed question: What is an "active life"? What was an active life 50 years ago vs 100 yrs ago? Or compared to my 2 yr old daughter's activity level?
I consider my life sedentary. I work in an office cubicle (on the 3rd floor of a a walk-up), but when does it become "moderately active"? (Relative to today or 50 yrs ago.)
I also wondered if I laugh enough. Joy, less stress, etc, that all produces endorphins which help lose weight.
Anyways, I'm reviewing my week and learning (again) from it. I may not be seeing results like Laura (congrats again), but I'll get there. In my next 5 day challenge, I'm thinking some weight will come off. After all, I just have to journal for 5 little days, right?
Cammie
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #56  

Hi Cammie -

Great post. i wonder about the activity level definitions myself. I also work at my desk all day, but since June (and a move to a new building) I've added significant walking to my daily activities. 2 quarter mile trips for coffee, 1 one mile round trip walk to the bank and a short lunch walk, maybe half a mile. So I am walking about 2 miles each day as part of my regular activities. On the weekends, I am gardening, cleaning and walking about a mile. I've also included the old WW tip of adding steps - parking in the back of the lot, etc. So, have I become moderately active now?

Also, mentioning joy and laughter - I think these are things to be more conscious of. It's amazing when we clear our minds of the overeating fog, how more connected to our lives we become. Embracing this is the key to making this a way of life vs a diet.

Okay - done with the philosphy! I am looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow! Even if it's no change, it means I own this 7 pounds I've lost!

Have a great day everyone! Hope
Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #57  
returning to myself

Cammie...you are doing well on the activity...I DO swim everyday, but I need to exercise more...

maybe we should start a daily exercise accountability thread??

but I will admit....you dinner calories were almost MY WHOLE DAY!! and the carbs were 3 days worth for me....sometimes I fantasize about sandwiches.....I'd rather be fantasizing ABOUT SEX!!

THAT'S what's great about journaling...b4 I started I had NO IDEA how much I was eating!

but now I need to get out there in the morning and walk...I need to do it in the morning...otherwise I run out of time....

that is my next goal...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #58  

Default Day One!

Hey there...
I'm back on "day one" and I know that this is indeed a "tough day." I'm tired and have had 2 cups of coffee already.
BUT, I KNOW that this 5 day challenge has really helped me re-focus.
I only have to make it through Monday.
Because today is normally a day when I get the "munchies" at work and go home tired only to eat a large amount of un-healthy food, I've tried to prepare myself. I have celery and peanut butter for the munchies at work and I have the chicken in the crock-pot cooking at home. I even got the beets out and ready so all I have to do is pop them in the microwave.
I also plan to go grocery shopping tonight so, I'll have a ton of stuff to do instead of sit like a blob. (I'll have to wash the fruit, put the salads in containers, cut the cucumbers, etc).
So, anyways, this is day one for me so far...
Anyone else planning to challenge for 5 little days, again.
Cammie
Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #59  

Default Thursday, 7/12

Hi Cammie - I'm in! This is going to be a tough one because my mother and I are having company today through Monday and we have lot's of eating plans already. Tonight is fine because I started a low-fat chinese chicken crock pot dish this morning. With a salad and I skip the rice - pretty on-plan.

The rest of the time is going to be eating out so I hope I can order sensibly. My relatives stress me out a bit and I have a tendency to eat in defense!

Good luck to all! I love the 5-dayers!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #60  

Default Family, stress, "challenges"

Hoping,
SO glad that I'm not doing this by myself!!
I can relate to the worries of eating out, off schedule, and with the stress of family!
I've been really trying to figure out what I'm going to do during my vacation to see my Dad, his wife, then later my Mom. My Dad and his wife love to go out to eat at some great restaurants. And it's SO kind of them to take me and my daughter. BUT the food is SO good, and there's WAY too much of it. Because I'm trying to keep my daughter "within reasonable" behavior for a ritzy restaurant, I gulp down my own food and am still hungry, remembering only how good it tasted. Aauggghhhh!
I've been busy trying to figure out how to overcome this two week obstacle. (Especially since I'll be out of internet range!)
So, here's the deal...I'm with you. How ever you need support.
But I'm going to be pretending that you're at every meal with me on vacation. You're going to be looking over my shoulder and making faces like, "Do you really want to eat ALL of that?" After all, I'm going to have to report back to you when I get back from vacation.
If there's something I can do for you while you're in the "unroutine" of family around, please let me know.
I want to support.
Cammie