3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 40-Somethings

Whose body is this? Dieting in Pre Menopause mode

Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #16

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I take a multivitamin and calcium which has been OK'd by my doc. I just like to cover my bases. I'm not sure I'm doing anything special just because I'm perimenopausal. Remember thinking you'd have years and years of periods forever? This too shall pass.

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #17

S/C/G: 202/see tracker/165

Height: 5'8"

Good morning ladies! I also take a multivitamin and calcium. In addition to that I take B-50, which is additional B vitamins. My GYN thinks it's fine and I think it helps with mood-swings and menopausal migraines.

2B - Definitely talk to your GYN about the missed periods. And don't let anyone scoot you out of the office until you get all your answers. I wrote down a list of questions for my doctor. I also kept a small diary of my symptoms - mood swings, periods, headaches. Nothing fancy, just little symbols on a calendar to help me see if there was a cycle involved. If nothing else, it showed my doctor I am serious about taking care of myself.

Oh and lately, the chart helps me track my mood swings so I can examine how I'm feeling before I eat the ice cream. I find it easier to think, "Oh, this is hormonal." And then eat fruit and nuts instead.

We have to advocate for ourselves at this age!

June 19, 07 - 202
December 26, 07 Goal - 165
hopingtobehopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #18
I'll think of something

Height: 5'1"

Hi all. I'm going through the dread PM (peri-menopause) too. My cycle has been crazy for the last few years. One day I'm bloated and cranky and can't pee worth a darn, the next day Aunt Flo comes calling, the day after I need some special attention, then the cycle starts again. Then nothing for weeks. Then Aunt Flo visits every other day for several months.

Like I said, it's crazy.
marlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #19

Marlu - No kidding, huh? I had my period twice in June and it lasted for 10 days each! Ridiculous!

Gotta run but I'll check back in! Hope

June 19, 07 - 202
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #20

This thread is so great! My whole life seems to be ruled by menopause these days. I have hot flashes and night sweats and cravings. I went three months without a period and even bought a pregnancy test (husband is "fixed" but sometimes they repair themselves when no one is looking )

Now, it seems I can't go three weeks or sometimes one week between periods. How fun!

My doctor did a blood test and said the levels were post-menopausal.

I don't want to take estrogen therapy but I would like to find something to tame the hot flashes. I can't sleep most of the night and so I sleep late and feel very unproductive!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #21

Default Dear Sleepless in Dallas!

Hi Wiffle,

No sleep is very bad! I don't want to do estrogen either but the night sweats are killing me too. I started taking Melatonin (vitamin section) and that seems to help with the sleep. Next week, I'm going to a naturalist for herbal solutions. I'lll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile, anyone have something that works for hot flashes?

I've been told weight loss helps!

June 19, 07 - 202
Old 07-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #22

S/C/G: 225-(32 bmi)/196/174-(24bmi)

Height: 5'10"

Default 46 and wanting to join this group

This group is great! Thanks for some really good advice and some laughs. I don't know if this will help with the hot flashes, but I have been sleeping without anything on (I mean nothing on) and that has helped with the night sweats. Our boys are away at college so I can throw the covers off if I need to. I had to stop going into the hot tub at night or even bathing at night because that would bring one on. I have kept ice packs by the bed and lay one on my chest before I go to sleep. Right now Aunt Flo has been visiting for 11 days and she has overstayed her welcome. For birthdays and holidays I ask for gift certificates to a local day spa for massages. Knowing I am getting a massage has helped with my mood swings too.

one for each five pounds
SASCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #23

Hi SASCS!

I am going to a new doctor on Thrusday morning. I am going to take all my medications along with notes so I don't forget what I went to talk about. I want someone who will look at the big picture, healthwise, rather than adding something new for every complaint.

I have heard that blood pressure meds may work for hot flashes. I have also had awful migraines that are hormonal, and those can be improved by blood pressure meds, so I have some. But I have almost every migraine medicine on the face of the earth. I take thyroid meds too. I feel loaded up with prescription drugs.

I do not want to take estrogen, nor do I want to take anti-depressants (something that a doctor seemed to want to give me recently). I'm 42 and I really don't want a daily pill case to keep track of it all quite yet.

Now herbs and supplements - I can be all over that! I didn't think of melatonin. I have read that evening primrose may help. I know that these can also have dangers and side effects but I prefer this route to so many prescriptions.

Regarding sleeping naked, I worry about intruders, if you can believe that.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #24
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

I'm lucky my hot flashes & Night sweats just lasted such a short period time. It was on my 40th birthday, and I seriously forget how old I am. This month I will be 42. So I've been "post" menapause for 2 yrs. I did see one doctor who did blood work over a year ago to confirm "post", but nobody wants to give me anything, and i feel like I should be taking SOMETHING other than my vitamins.
I love the idea of tracking the mood swings. But since I don't have a period, or hot flashes, I don't know what other signs to track other than the mood swings , okay so I can track that craving for CHOCOLATE.
It's good to meet others in their 40s and going thru this, although some of you have teenagers, I'm still running around with a 3 and 5 yr old.
It is exhausting!!! Not that being a mom to kids of any age isn't exhausting!
I can't wait for my appt to see what they say. May I ask about the estrogen and why nobody wants to take it? Is it a bad thing?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #25

Hi everyone!

Wiffle - I too suffer from hormonal migraines and take Atenolol (blood pressure med) to help. I don't take prescription pain killers and when I get a migraine that won't quit, I just call it a day. I also take B-50 (B vitamins) and have not, I repeat, not had a migraine since I started that! Like a little miracle!

I'm not big on collecting daily prescriptions either, but I take Synthroid for thyroid, Atenolol and a low dose Prozac so I won't kill anyone! I resisted this for a long time, but finally gave in and it does seem to help. 20 mgs a day which is pretty low. I am my mother's caretaker (Parkinsons) and work full time at a new job. I also just moved to this area to help Mom, so things have been a little nutty for me. I decided that this was the best course of action.

I'm glad you're off to the doctor with notes. We must be proactive with our medicare care. The days of Dr. Welby are gone and it's now up to us to supply all the info Dr's need to help us. Good luck! and keep us updated.

Tobethin - There is a link between estrogen use and breast cancer and endometrial cancer. Still controversial, but I prefer to put it off as long as I can! Google it for more info.

Hope

June 19, 07 - 202
Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #26
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

Hope - it's good to meet someone else on synthroid!
Thanks for the info about estrogen.
I guess I worry about osteoporosis (sp?) and wonder if I'm getting enough of whatever.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #27

Hey 2B - Calcium, Calcium, Calcium. I have 2 yogurts a day and milk in my coffee. If you are doing the no dairy thing, a calcium supplement is definitely called for. Also, TUms have calcium, but you have to remember to take them. Just be careful not to take calcium supplements with Synthroid, as they don't work together. I take Synthroid in the morning an hour before I eat (I drink coffee for an hour before ANYTHING else can happen, including breakfast!) and my B-50 and multi vitamin w/calcium at dinner.

Let's build us some strong bones!

June 19, 07 - 202
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #28

Hey SACS - How's the Alli working out?

June 19, 07 - 202
Old 07-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #29

S/C/G: 225-(32 bmi)/196/174-(24bmi)

Height: 5'10"

Hi Hopingtobehopeful-The alli is going great. 7 pounds in two weeks and some of those days I didn't take it because I went out of town for a wedding and yesterday was the Fourth of July. Now my life has settled back down and I will be able to take it on a regular basis. It is really making me rethink about just tearing into those chips or slathering my salad in dressing. I have had no treatment effects. I am going to continue with it. The thread for those using alli is really helpful too.

one for each five pounds
SASCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #30

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who went into menopause at 40. All my friends were close to or over 50. Of course I also seem to be the happiest about it. When I was younger I wondered how I would deal with the loss of fertility. Would I feel like less of a woman or what? Now that it's here, I find myself relaxed and happy about it. I have 4 kids. I do not want any more. I do not want to be pregnant, I do miss nursing the the babies, but not enough to have one.

It would be nice if my body responded to exercise and diet like it did in my 20's though. I miss that part.
balloonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.