Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/208/150

Height: 5'10"

Default New to my 40's and new here!

Hi everyone! I just turned the Big 4-0 in March. I think I am still in shock, lol....how did I get to be this old?

I hit my highest weight ever last month....and for some reason, weighing as much as my DH was my Final Straw, the one thing that made me go "Whoa....time to do something about this!!". I hope to meet new friends here, get support, and give it in return!
bodhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #2  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! You're among 40+ friends here. Join in the chat group at "47... and no idea" thread.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I'm turning the big 40 in March, the past two months I pushed it and lost 11 lbs - part of the weight I gained back this last year after dieting. I was sitting around moping and feeling old/tired. Now pushing exercise and eating right I'm bouncing around, happier again. I have 15-20 lbs to go - my goal is to turn 40 fit. I figure we can either hit 40 and go downhill - or we can exercise, eat right so we enjoy our 40s on up and live to see our grandchildren grow. I have no clue how we got this old - friends I grew up with - it's shocking and a time warp. I found Nike '86 shorts at Ross and emailed an old high school friend, it can't be true, that's the year we graduated and now our shorts are vintage. I bought a few pair, wish I'd bought them in a smaller size as I won't need large for long - I hope. I've had people this last six months say I was "their age" and they were early 40s, before I gained the weight back everyone thought I was younger, especially since I have a small boy. So weight gain ages you, for me it's not the vanity as much as just generally feeling good about myself. This time around I'll knock the weight - then I'm heading for ultra fit. I found great inspiration in reading Oxygen and other fitness magazines. There are stories and pictures of women our age the fittest in their life, some competing. I want to be one of them one day. I used to be an athlete in school, I'm going to be again. Good luck, I'm in Colorado too, what town are you in?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #4  

Old 07-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #5  
Wandering in the Woods

Funny, when I turned forty , five years ago, I remember it well. I had hit 140 on the scale, at forty years, and that was the most I had ever weighed. I hit 175 last year (passing up my DH by almost 20 pounds, which was exasperating). Let me tell you, more than anything now, you're going to have to accept that

1. You are NOT old, but young enough to have the best years of your life yet. However, it is entirely what you make it, as opportunities may seem fewer.

2. You must from here forth be vigilant about the weight.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #6  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Horsey - I'm in the Grand Junction area. How about you?

** It scares me to put that, because I wouldn't want anyone I know reading what I write here!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #7  

I moved to Pueblo West from Grand Junction about a year ago - I lived in Junction for five years! I still come back for business every two months. I don't want anyone I know to read this either! This site is so awesome, I lost about 12 lbs in the past two months - much of my inspiration has been reading other stories, getting tips and posting/venting. I have about 7 months until I turn the big 40 and my goal - to hit the big 40 in the best shape ever. I'm lifting weights and you wouldn't believe how great I already feel, I have hard shoulders and arms - and if I could get rid of the fat it'll really be great. Hey if you are in Junction you can get a bike and ride along the river trail, that would be fairly easy. Or go hike up in the mountains. I never did join the gyms while there, I can't remember, is there a ymca? I joined one here and didn't go a whole lot but it was motivation just being around others working out. Good luck!