Hello.... I'm Suzanne and I'm 45 years old

• Too bad there isn't a 12 step process to overcome age issues

When I turned 45 in January, I received a letter from the governor suggesting I start thinking about my long term care and research nursing homes

Last week I received a letter from a local funeral home suggesting I make an appointment to discuss my arrangements and spare my loved ones of the burden

Has anyone else received anything like this now that you are in your 40s? Sheesh, I worry what my mailbox will be like after I turn 50!
  • You need to get off that mailing list pronto! That isn't good energy... read the Delany sisters book about being over a hundred, much more empowering than having a burial plot prepaid
  • Have you not received anything from AARP yet?
  • I'm in if we can find that 12 step program!! I was scorekeeping at a baseball game last night and there were 3 other moms there. We were all talking about various injuries we have had lately. I mentioned that I didn't remember having this conversation when I was 20 something. The one mom said, "Yep, this cast of 40 isn't performing all that well anymore!!"
  • Suzanne, I'd start throwing out the junk mail without even opening it!! I am in Canada and we don't seem to get alot of that kind of mailout, but ignore them when they do arrive. 45 is a wonderful age, and it is a state of mind. I am 44 and had a young guy whom I worked with seven years ago (and have not seen) tell me today that I looked great and better than ever. He is about 30 and I tell you, it made my day!! Keep your head held high. We are all beautiful women and when you have lost a few pounds and start to carry yourself differently, it will not matter if you are 25, 45 or 75, you will feel beautiful!!
  • I've been getting the AARP stuff, too, at 44. I'm turning 45 in Nov. I made it a goal for weight loss, but it is a weird thing, that number. I don't know why, age doesn't bother me, but for some reason it seems like it's significant. I guess it's the 5 at the end. Today's my Mom's 65th. Anyhow, I'm proud I made it this far, I'm surprised sometimes I made it out of my 20s