Old 06-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #31  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Congrats Steelslady! Glad it is working so well for you.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #32  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

It amazes me that so MANY of us 40-somethings have mentioned DEPRESSION in our posts. I, too, have fought depression. The first time I was 27, the second time I was 36, and this time, here I am almost 44 years old, going into my 2nd year of this bout with depression. The meds that worked for me at 27 did not work at 36, & the meds that worked at 36 did not work at 42. However, after much changing & re-dosing, we (me & my doc) finally found what works for ME..... THIS TIME.

Every single time I have been diagnosed with clinical depression, I have gained AT LEAST 30 pounds. I am currently on the downslide of the scale, but I'm plateauing BIG TIME at 160 (been here almost 2 months). I'm scared to try anything different, because my diet is not just to lose weight, but it's also to bring down my cholesterol & triglycerides. However, I know I can "eat a little bit less" & that should get things moving again.

My main goal is to BE HEALTHY. Body AND mind. Looking like a hottie is just a bonus.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:10 AM   #33  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
Congrats Steelslady! Glad it is working so well for you.
Thankyou! I have a long road ahead of me, but I'm off to a good start.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #34  
Counting Calories is fun!

S/C/G: 201/192/148

Height: 5' 8"

Elizabeth,
You took the first step in making a change...coming online to seek support from others of us just like you. I did the same and signed up just yesterday. I already feel more motivated than ever (and I'd already lost 6 lbs on my own over the past few weeks).

I hurt my back last Saturday and was really depressed about it. I'd been doing so well getting out and walking 20-30 minutes a few times a week. For the past several days, I haven't been able to move much at all. I was all set to join a gym down the street and really looking forward to it, now I have to wait until my back gets better. Argghhh!

BUT, coming here is keeping me motivated! I hope you continue to do the same!!
AnneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 201.5/195.5/145

Height: 5'11"

Fat and depressed and stressed and overeating and over drinking and This is me! I have struggled with my weight all my life. I just can't get positive about anything and my black moods go for days and days.

I am a very successful professional but my organization is being restructured and everyone seems to want my department reporting to them in the new model.. So even the one thing I am good at doesn't seem so secure.

I have just joined today and don't know where to start. I am so tired I can't event cry but realise I have got to start again. You sound just like me so I thought i would reach out as today is my first day and my first posting.

Are you following a particular diet? What works best for you? I thought of the Oprah diet she promotes online but the thought of not drinking for four weeks is daunting. I mean this seems to be all I have left.

Last edited by greyokeefe; 06-17-2007 at 02:50 PM.
greyokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #36  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I'm not expert, but one program tells you not to worry about not drinking for four weeks, start with one day at a time, or one hour at a time or one minute at a time if that's what it takes. It's the same thing with starting your weight loss program. Small changes will add up to big rewards. You can't lose 40 or 50 lbs. without losing 1 lb. Attack it in small manageable bits. You'll do great. I loosely follow weight watchers, try and walk every day. One newer thing I read says to try and cut out just 50 calories here and there, that might be switching mayo for mustard on a sandwich. Keep looking on the forums here, there's every kind of program, you'll find what works for you. Good luck, remember the journey starts with one small step!!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 201.5/195.5/145

Height: 5'11"

Kelijpa:

Many thanks. I am on day three and have committed to exercise atleast 3 times a week for 45 minutes, and make smart choices and drink water. Dropped some weight right away but it is early days. I like the idea of starting slow and maybe this way these will be life changes. Also find my mood improves just doing something. Thanks for the encouraging words and it looks like you are doing great on your own plan!
AM
greyokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #38  

For me, drinking has brought on binge eating. If I have a few drinks, I worry about having a hangover and I follow the old wive's tale that if one eats some grease after drinking, then one won't have a hangover. Well, this is not true!

I am trying to disassociate alcohol from eating, or at least replace the eating with wiser choices, and not cheese or ice cream after drinking, when my judgement is bad. So far, so good.

Also, when I gained a lot of weight before, I was drinking those frozen mixed drinks with the Bacardi mixers. Each drink was several hundred calories! And, I would eat afterwards so that I would have something in my stomach to counteract the hangover. I remember when I discovered that fact at 245 pounds, I broke down in tears.

The alcohol itself, for me, is not the killer, but the calories consumed following has got to stop.
Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #39  

Default Not alone

I just joined this website. Me in brief, 43 and 150 lbs overweight. Everyone around me is sick to death about hearing how I'm going to change. I have no faith in myself that I can make the necessary changes to become fit and healthy. Every now and again I inadvertanltly catch sight of my reflection in a window (as I rarely deliberately look in mirrors) and at first I don't know who the person is, then I am disgusted that it is me. I have to believe that I can make this work, I can lose weight and become fit, because I can'nt live inside this body anymore. 44 and fat you are not alone, take it one moment at a time. Even a cursory look at this site has given me hope and inspiration. I haven't lost any weight yet, and don't know where you are on your path towards goal. Good luck.
bluedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #40  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hang in there with all of us, bluedog. You've made your first post and that's a great start. There is so much info and support on this site. You might want to head over to the 100+ postings too. It is for people who have over 100 lbs to lose. Also, there are a couple of active threads here on the 40-somethings forum. It's nice to talk to others who are similar in age and can relate to the issues we have.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 202/see tracker/165

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Bluedog! Like Slash said, you are making a first step by reaching out. I was able to get started (yes, again!) by changing one thing a week. One week, it was no 3pm cookie, the next it was no eating after 7pm, and then walking to the bank vs driving, you get the picture.

Suddenly, it didn't seem so hard. I am not looking at the 50 pounds I want to lose but focusing on having a healthy lunch. A lot less overwhelming. And yes, it's hard when I am confronted by the reality of what I look vs. what I imagine I look like.

But, like someone has on there signature here, the only way to lose 50 pounds is by losing 1 pound to start with. Good luck! Hope
hopingtobehopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #42  
Wandering in the Woods

MY first comment is to learn to accept yourself, at any weight. Practice self love, and then you may begin to be able to bargain. I found for those who have no self respect, are inherently attached to self destruction. It is so tragic, and I've teetered on that edge before, so I know.

What is it to love yourself? Ask yourself these questions. Write down the answers.

Oh, and those who EVER remark that you're too thin might as well have a tattoo on their forhead which reads "I'm jealous of you ! " You're the ONLY one who knows when you're too thin. Not an issue, right?
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 199/199/150

Height: 5'5

Hello everyone
I saw the name of this thread and had to register. I have visited the site off and on for awhile now. I am right with you. This is just about the heaviest I have ever been and I think I am at that point where I have had enough including food and alcohol. I already feel motivated after reading everyone's post. Thanks for showing me that I can do it this time because I am not alone.
sierralilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 275/267/180

Height: Six Feet & Half Inch

Default My 2 Cents

First - I feel for you. I'm almost always stressed right out of my mind. The only reason I don' drink is because of the meds I take - it would make me very sick.

1. Forgive yourself.
2. Take it slow and easy - maybe a biking instead of walking until your knees are okay (worked for me).
3. Move your body everyday - even if it is stretching to music. Good for the body and soul.
4. If your depression gets worse after your weight gets better please go for clinical help. I didn't know I suffered from clinical depression until I saw a doctor. I thought I was just "fat and lazy."

Hugs!
kare bear is offline   Reply With Quote