General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default What's your style?

Let's face it- as a plus sized woman, we don't get a lot of clothing choices. And if you're anything like me, you usually end up with the easiest thing or the thing that hides your weight best (can you say jeans and t-shirt?). But once the weight comes off, there's a whole new world of clothing options opened up to us- so I'm wondering, what's your style? What styles appeal to you for when you lose the weight?

I love bohemian/vintage. Even some of the hipster styles are appealing (although far from all of them).

kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/296/160

Height: 5'10

What a super fun post!!! I am gonna go search the web...Be right back
sheshalesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I find the more weight I lose, the more I'm drawn towards the girly stuff. Dresses, flirty skirts, sexy lingerie. Never been a big one for floral, so I go more for solids and geometric or other patterns (not animal print).
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm the poster girl for jeans and a T-shirt because it's the easiest thing to wear (and find something that fits me in!).

That being said, I love the clothes on modcloth, the whole vintage/50's look. Here are a few dresses that I just love:
http://www.modcloth.com/Modcloth/Wom...+It+Ride+Dress
http://www.modcloth.com/Modcloth/Wom...n+Square+Dress
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

I. Don't. Know.

And it freaks me out. I have absolutely no idea what I want to wear. It was really easy to just go into the ONE store that carried my sizes and pick whatever fit best or hid my fat.

About the only thing I ever wanted to wear as a girl were twirly skirts and dresses... maybe I want to go back to that? >_>

As I'm losing weight... yeah. No idea. Maybe I'll figure it out along the way.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #6  

runningfromfat- those are so cute! I can't wait to see some of your after pictures in a dress like those!

lovely- I know how you feel. When something like this is off the table for so long, you don't even think about it. I was lucky enough to have a taste of what normal weight was like a few years ago- I went from 288 to 160 (lowest since puberty) before coming back to 260. I've never been into clothes or fashion, and I've always hated shopping, but I was surprised at how excited I was to try out new styles on my new body.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
I. Don't. Know.

And it freaks me out. I have absolutely no idea what I want to wear. It was really easy to just go into the ONE store that carried my sizes and pick whatever fit best or hid my fat.

About the only thing I ever wanted to wear as a girl were twirly skirts and dresses... maybe I want to go back to that? >_>

As I'm losing weight... yeah. No idea. Maybe I'll figure it out along the way.
I HAVE NO IDEA EITHER.

Part of my frustration with losing weight is that I have no idea how to dress to my new shape. I didn't just shrink—I completely changed shapes!

I used to be a pear. I had some rockin' plus size curves and I wasn't afraid to show them off. I maintained the same weight/shape for YEARS and over that time I learned how to accentuate my curves.

I drop 40lbs and suddenly I'm a slightly top-heavy hourglass.

Not only can I not shop in the same places, but I need to figure out HOW the **** to dress to this shape. I'm totally glad that as a size 8 (sometimes 10) I can shop in a **** of a lot more places now, but I still have no idea what style I want to have or how to properly dress for someone my shape.

Not to mention I still want to drop somewhere in the vicinity of 20 pounds, so my shape will change AGAIN.

As of right now, I'm just buying a few jeans here and there and trying to repurpose my too-big tops. I don't really have the money to buy a whole new closet full of clothes that will just be too big eventually.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Sontaikle,
Everybody is different. But i was size 16 when i was 180ish. Now i am 166 and size 12. You can wearsize 12 pants...just wondering whether i will fit in size 10 when i will be 160.planninga trip to India in oct...want to wear size 10 then.
My style is Indian punjabi suite or saree.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #9  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

I don't really know either! I'm still figuring it out. So far my body hasn't completely changed shape, it's just shrunken down so I can apply some of the knowledge about how to dress my body shape. For now, I'm sticking with what I know but playing around with it a little more (shirts aren't as baggy, wearing things with more detail or things that will grab people's attention, accessories, SHOES, etc).

I've been spending HOURS on Pinterest pinning looks and browsing style and fashion pins learning what's in style, what appeals to me, etc. I'd highly recommend Pinterest for this!
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #10  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

When I wasn't HUGE, I was a heels girl. I ALWAYS wore heels. As in 4 inch. I also went towards a little glam, sometimes a little bohemian, little club. I will be wearing those old clothes next yr.

My style:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black dress.jpg (30.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg dress.jpg (25.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bluetop.jpg (7.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg boots.jpg (7.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg zebra.jpg (11.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by sheramama; 08-19-2011 at 09:25 PM.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneri View Post
Sontaikle,
Everybody is different. But i was size 16 when i was 180ish. Now i am 166 and size 12. You can wearsize 12 pants...just wondering whether i will fit in size 10 when i will be 160.planninga trip to India in oct...want to wear size 10 then.
My style is Indian punjabi suite or saree.
I lived in Punjab this spring for a while, and punjabi suits can actually be very flattering for a larger woman! I was very happy to not have to wear something revealing like a saree or leggings. I love the long-top style that is common in northern india- some of the more modern shirts look very cute with jeans too! And I love how beautiful Indian celebrities are- they tend to be more curvacious than American celebs, and I think much more sexy because of that.

I like this one:

Although I can't wait to be able to wear something like this!

And for those who don't know, this is a punjabi suit (although you have to forgive me, Puneri, I'm still not good at picking out what's in fashion in India right now).

Last edited by kelly315; 08-20-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

My style is girly, I love putting on skirts, dresses and pretty dresses. I don't really wear heels though, I prefer comfy flat shoes. I also love my jeans and converses.
chantistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #13  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Kelly15: Ohh, I love those! We were at Hershey and there was a traditional Indian wedding reception going on. The women looked amazing...I wish it were more acceptable for an "American" wedding to wear such, colorful ornate dresses!
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #14  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

puneri & kelly - glad to see some desi taste on here! I have a suit that I looove although I never have an occasion to wear it (maybe Diwali?) but I can still wear the chuni as a scarf. I'd looove to wear a choli when I reach goal
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #15  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

It's weird and completely new for me to be able to shop for clothes that aren't plus-sized. I still can't wear anything very interesting in pants (my thighs are still very large), but I love trying on tops and dresses. One of the brands that I keep seeing at Lord and Taylor and at Macy's is Tahari, and I really like the styling of some of the clothes. (Most don't fit me just yet, but they will soon. ) If money were no object and I were about 30 lbs lighter, I would LOVE to wear this dress: http://www.elietahari.com/BIANCA-DRE...n-shop-dresses
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote