Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/181/169

Height: 5'4"

Default Mortified - I cried at the gym

I have been doing a really good job of sticking to my gym goals for the most part. I actually think I am in the best shape I have ever been in my entire life. I've quit smoking and am 5lbs away from being the lightest I have ever been as an adult.

But...

I took a bootcamp class today and thought I was going to die! Like I was seeing spots and couldn't keep up. There was like a 65 year old lady in the class that was running circles around me (I'm 32)! We had to do these walking lunges around the open gym area and I just could not do it and freaked out. So I walked back to the class room to get my water and I just started bawling my eyes out. The instructor followed me and was actually really nice, but I am so embarrassed. I really thought I should have been able to keep up.

Ugh, I am hoping to be better next time. But Jeez, I am mortified.
laughingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

I hear you! Something similar happened to me 3 weeks ago I'm so sorry- it will get better. We can only get stronger!!!!
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #3  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

remember not to be so hard on yourself! a new workout routine/change is always tough, even for someone really fit! Ive been there too-- its a hard place to be but just think about how awesome you'll feel when you're keeping up in a few weeks! good luck!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/296/160

Height: 5'10

Several years ago back when I was thin (165lbs) I hired a personal trainer to help me tone. She made me do those lunge things holding dumb bells. I was suppose to do 4 laps of a hallway...I was crying by the 2nd and on the 3rd I dropped the dumb bells and basically had a sobbing fit...

It happens. Don't let that one bad thing stop you...

Congrats on all of the progress you have made...
~Shesha
sheshalesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

This is called boot camp - it's supposed to be ungodly tough and I bet you aren't the first person to break down because it pushes you to your limit. What makes you strong though, is going again and doing it again and working towards whatever goal you want.

And don't compare yourself to anyone else in that classroom. I think we get so used to frail people in their 60s that we forget that it doesn't HAVE to be that way! As far as you know, that woman could have been an olympic athlete, or training her whole life in some sport or another. Don't worry about her or anyone else. it's YOUR fitness that matters.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I understand, and think that it is healthy to cry when the emotion hits you. A lot of the emotion that really cuts to my core is related to my body and weight loss. I have been running, wiping tears from my face as I went. Exercise can make a person quite emotional!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #7  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Awww, don't feel too bad! I would bet that the frustration about the lunges was the catalyst but that it wasn't really about the lunges. They might have opened up the floodgates to emotions about health/weight loss/ keeping up/being good enough or whatever deeper thing is going on for you. When you're physically exhausted I think it's so much harder to hold in any type of emotion (been there!). I also think it's completely healthy to just let it out once in a while!

Keep your head up, try it again next time. The good news is that you can only get better at the bootcamp class!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I am so sure that's not the first time it's happened, nor is it the last time it will! I was reading an article recently about some trendy new fitness class and they were saying that it brings up a lot of emotion in women and many cry during it.

I've had that experience just on the elliptical! I feel fine and then walking to the car I burst out into tears. It happens. Don't be embarrassed! Be proud that you tried something new.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #9  

Height: 5'6

I'm totally with you. When I first started running a couple of months ago, I couldn't run for more than a minute without feeling winded, lol. On one of my first runs, I kid you not, I started all-out crying like a baby b/c I was convinced that I was in over my head. Well, by the time I got home - 30 minutes later, I could barely see I was crying that hard. My neighbor was outside and came over to where I was sniffling on my front porch and just gave me the biggest hug. I was embarrassed too but you know what? Just go back to the class and try again. The only shame is letting your fear win IMO. Congrats on the lbs. lost so far.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #10  
My goal = health

Happened to me as well. I used to be in amazing shape (10-12 years ago) and once I went back to the gym after gaining 75 lbs with my first pregnancy, I couldn't keep up! I was so embarrassed, I walked out during the class and went to cry in the bathroom. Few minutes later I decided to finish the class anyway! Good luck and I hope this little incident will give you the motivation you need!
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'6"

I broke down on my elliptical just the other day. It was a day that I was just physically wiped out, and all of a sudden I just broke down. I had to get off and catch my breath I was sobbing so hard. Exercise just brings it out in you. Like all others said, don't be embarrassed! Be proud that you were in there doing it! It's a helluva accomplishment Hugs to you, and congratts on the weight loss!
BakingChick is offline   Reply With Quote