Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 05:03 PM   #1  

Default What's going on with me

I've had a really difficult week. Starting last Friday, I've been in a major fibromyalgia flare-up - the worst one I've experienced. Lots of major pain and fatigue. . .

I'm mostly in bed. Thankfully, I work from home and so have been able to keep up my hours.

My doc wants to put me on a Prednison (steroid) step down. This always causes weight-gain so I have asked for alternative treatment all week. Well, nothing else is working, so I may decide to go with the Prednisone. I haven't made a decision yet.

So, for those of you who pray, I would appreciate your prayers.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:37 PM   #2  
Catwoman

I'm not a prayer but my thoughts and best wishes are with you Angi. I'm so sorry your in pain. I would take the medicine you need and worry about weight gain later, just make extra carefull what you eat. You can't lose weight untill you well. I do hope you get better soon,
Best wishes

Kitty
Old 06-20-2003, 06:16 PM   #3  

Angi,

Hugs!!! I'm so sorry you're in so much pain! You'll be in my thoughts to get well and feel better soon. I know you're concerned with weight, but pain management is more important at this point.

Is there any way you could get documentation from your physician that your pain medication can cause weight gain? I meant, you could do this to help with your adoption weight goal. I'd certainly hope they'd be understanding in such a situation.

Take care and feel better,
Sherry
Old 06-20-2003, 06:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm so sorry to hear this. You'll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

I like Sherry's suggestion about getting the doctor to document that weight gain can occur.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:46 PM   #5  
Searching

((((((((Angi)))))))))))))

Be really careful with the prednisone series, and I agree with the documented weight gain.

Thinking of you,
Chris
Old 06-20-2003, 10:06 PM   #6  
Student of the Hoof

Steroids are notorious for weight gain and causing electrolyte imbalance. My mom went through steroid treatments many, many times during the course of her battle with hepatitis. I don't know much about fibromyalgia, I certainly hope the steroids help, and if they don't, I hope you find something that does.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:45 PM   #7  

Angie, I'm also in a flare but of my RA. Doctor wanted to give me prednisone nine days ago and I declined for the exact same reasons. I've been doing somewhat better today but it's been a very rough week so far. I had told myself if it was not better today I would call for the prednisone but it did seem better. Hope it's that way tomorrow - for both of us. It's also the worst flare I've had for quite a while.

We've had rain 16 of the last 20 days and I know that's not helping. PLUS, of course, I'm plateauing. But not overeating though I don't worry about cutting way back when things are like this.

You didn't mention grouchy - for me it's pain, fatigue and grouchy.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:16 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone for your support. I did break down and start the Prednisone today. It is a step-down program - high dosage for several days and then less and less until nothing. It takes a week. I can't remember how long the weight gain lasted - I wasn't exactly weighing in the last time this happened to me. That was about 20 pounds ago. Here's hoping that if I watch my WW points and drink a lot of water, it will all even out in a week or so after the step-down.

Sherry, this is a very good idea about a note from my doctor. Thanks for thinking of it.

Anagram, I'm so sorry about your RA flare. I was diagnosed with RA the first year, but the folks at the Mayo clinic determined it was fibro instead. So, I know a lot about RA and really feel for you. I'm praying the humidity and rain lets up for you and the pain goes away. PM me if you need to. I'd love to commiserate!

Yes, grouchy too! My DH has been a saint during this bout. Bless his heart for putting up with me.

I really appreciate everyone. I've been very lonely, holed up in the house and feeling sorry for myself. I'm glad I can visit with you guys without leaving the bed!

I'd also like to give myself a pat on the back for doing VERY light ALMOST NOTHING yoga the past couple of days. Mainly stretching. I feel like doing NOTHING but the info I'm reading says to make sure you don't get completely sedentary - it makes the muscles tighten and makes the fibro worse. So, good for me! Woo hoo.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:32 AM   #9  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I hope you start feeling better soon. My mom has fibromyalgia and she treats it with herbs and very rarely is in pain anymore. I know how hard it is living with it. Big ((((((((hugs)))))))))
Old 06-21-2003, 08:06 AM   #10  

Angi,

Hope you're doing better today and I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Good for you for doing the stretching! Just worry about getting through this for now, and the weight loss will continue once you get past this.

We're here for you!
Old 06-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

angi... been thinking about you. keep your chin up.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:21 PM   #12  
Losin It For GOOD!

Angi - I'll really be praying for you. I'm sorry about the fibro... and hope it gets better so you won't have to be on prednisone for too long.

(((hugs)))
Old 06-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #13  
Big Loser Wannabe

aww, I am so sorry thar you have to go through that, my cousin has that, and she is bedridden sometimes, and cant do much of anything, and is in so much pain

I hope that you feel better soon (((hugs)))
Old 06-22-2003, 09:27 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

(((HUGS))))

Angi - sorry you are hurting so much right now. I hope the meds kick in soon. Great job on the stretching. It must be hard when you ache all over. hang in there sweetie!!
Old 06-23-2003, 12:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good for you for doing stretching when you aren't feeling well.

And, hey, your new avatar is SO cute! Is that your brand new haircut? You are so gorgeous!
Closed Thread