Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:41 AM   #1  
CatGal

Question What kind?

I am wondering what type of surgery you all have had/will have...

Has anyone had a Lap Band? Or are we mostly RNY?

How do you feel about one type opposed to the other.

Who had open surgery, who had laproscopic?
G
Old 06-19-2003, 10:04 AM   #2  

I originally wanted the band , Gina Marie but it would not be covered by my insurance. I took that pretty hard and it took me a while to get used to the idea of the lap rny. I'm kinda liking the idea now!!!

peach
Old 06-19-2003, 10:25 AM   #3  
she who must be obeyed

lap-rny for me too
Old 06-19-2003, 11:39 AM   #4  

I had open RNY . My insurance wouldnt cover lap band but I dont know that I would have picked it anyway. My pysch doctor ( the one I had to use to get my approval for surgery)had the lap band and his nurses said that he lost a bunch of weight but now is gaining it back and is looking into the RNY..
Old 06-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

lap rny. i wanted the lapband, but the surgeon said i was too heavy and not a good candidate. it's all ok. especially after i found out that the weight loss isn't as great or as durable with the lapband.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:47 AM   #6  
CatGal

I am sure the surgeon will be a big part of making the decision about what surgery I should have, if any.

I was just wondering if anyone had experiance with the Lap Band. I like the option because I have not had children yet, and may want to in the future...
G
Old 06-20-2003, 12:03 PM   #7  
she who must be obeyed

Gina after 18-24 months from what I have read it is safe to have children.

I'm aware of a few who have had children after wls without problems.

There are two women in my support group that are PG right now. One had surgery in Feb 03 and found out 2 weeks ago that she is expecting. The other, are you ready for this, is 12 weeks out of surgery and 11 weeks pg!!

Needless to say both of these women are being followed very closely by their surgeons and high risk ob/gyns.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #8  
CatGal

It's nice nice to know that someone felt well enough one week after surgery to go back to normal activities! Yowza!
G
Old 06-20-2003, 09:42 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

oh my yes. several women in my support group are PG, and have had very healthy pregnancies. just well-monitored. and they waited 2 years. you have to do that [if you're wise!] because of the stress of the rapid, extremely low calorie weight loss.

it's to protect your health and that of your baby. after the 2 years or so, you'll be just fine.
Closed Thread