Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default Itty bitty annoyance and rant

This morning, I weighed and after a few weeks of not losing, I lost 2 pounds! Yay! 45 pounds so far! Wewt! Great! I like to share my losses with everyone, because I am so excited I just can't keep it in! So, I posted on my FB status that I lost two more. My mother's friend is one of the greatest ladies I know in many ways. She is funny, supported and was an ear I could count on as a kid, and is a woman I deeply respect as an adult. BUT, on my status this morning, she said "I lost 5 pounds in one day...did it the hard way though." She is on the cabbage soup diet. I don't particularly think that's the healthiest diet, and would be really unsatisfying. Who am I to judge her? But, when she said that, I don't know if she was implying that my weight loss was just easy, but it most certainly is not. I do a lot of work every day with my exercise and diet. I log every single morsel that goes past my lips, and I do workout 3-6 times a week running 3-7 miles a few times a week and kettle bell workouts the rest of the days, which are intense and really get the blood pumping! I'm not saying her diet is particularly easy. Heck, I'd be seriously bummed only eating cabbage soup. That in and of itself is difficult. But, my weight loss has in no way been easy. I feel like I fight for every pound-there is fire in my blood every day and I use that to get those pounds off. It's not easy. I don't understand why people have this perception that for some weight loss is easy. I've been fat for 6 years now and if it were so easy, I would have done it years ago.

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 08-17-2011 at 10:40 AM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

It wouldn't have crossed my mind that she was in any way comparing her weight loss directly to your methods.

Maybe the "cabbage soup diet " is her version of the hard way. Frankly, I would consider it the hard way, too.... only because I'd get sick of cabbage after day 1, I'd be smelly, bloated, and the second you actually start eating normally again...guess what? Here comes the weight back on.

Yeah. That's pointlessly hard, and not at all worth it.

Last edited by Lovely; 08-17-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #3  

I feel like that's seriously hard. She probably wasn't comparing herself to my efforts, I don't think. I mean, I know she's always proud of me and I know that she was being good intentioned. But oh boy, I'd hate that diet.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Many people think their way is the best way. Igbore those kinds of comments.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

She was just posting on Facebook. She didn't mean anything about you or your diet. Try not to take it personally.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #6  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

cabbage soup is just water. cabbage itself is mostly water, boil it down it's just hot yucky water. she didn't lose weight, she lost water and chances are that 5 pounds came and went on a weekly basis even without a diet.

internet is a funny thing, you can't see facial expressions or hear inflections. She might have been joking or sarcastic...I lost 5 lbs in one day on the cabbage diet and since she is a loving person in your life, it might have been a way to bond with you on a subject. cabbage dieting is not a serious way to a healthier life and a lot of people don't actually understand the hard thing we are doing. joking or teasing, although not always the greatest way, could be a way to share something.

I wouldn't take heart in the statement as a "nanny nanny boo boo" thing. In her way she might actually be giving you kudos for doing it the "hard" way because she knows that losing 5lbs through cabbage or illness is not a lasting or healthy way. I'm sure she wasn't promoting it as she cares for you and anyone would know you can't live off of cabbage.

You are doing great!

Last edited by mamakat; 08-17-2011 at 12:43 PM.
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #7  

You guys are right. She probably didn't mean anything about me. She's a great lady.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I think it's really difficult to understand somebody's tone in text, rather than in speech. She could have said it in a way that meant, "the way I'm doing it is really difficult... and maybe not worth it." You just never know! With comments like those, I am annoyed for a little bit, but just forget it in the end. Not worth thinking about too much! Don't take it personally.
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote