Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Eating out?

My dad is taking me out tomorrow night for dinner. I am choosing the restaurant. Certainly I want to go out, but I also don't want to go off plan. I'm thinking maybe I will suggest a Japanese restaurant. I know I like seaweed salad and miso soup - does anyone know of any other relatively low-calorie Japanese dishes, or any other sorts of low-calorie "eating out" types of foods?

Thanks!
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 398/257/150

Height: 5'6"

I find that I can go out just about anywhere. The key is don't be afraid to ask for what you want and get all the information on how things are cooked and with what ingredients. Most restaurants are more then happy to accomodate your needs and wants. I haven't done Japanese lately but I have done Thai, Mexican, American, Italian and Indian and had no trouble ordering healthy and staying on plan. Japanese sounds yummy.... I'll maybe have to try that one day this week.
LeslieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

The only gotcha with Japanese food (well, any restaurant food I guess) is the sodium. Miso soup is extremely high in sodium, and of course the soy sauce will do you in if you like sushi/sashimi, they can be good low calorie choices. Miso salmon or teriyaki chicken aren't bad either, or seared ahi. Avoid tempura or anything fried.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 320/245/150

Height: 5'3

Miso is a decent choice but if you like it and its available , I have heard clear soup is a better alternative. My girlfriends and I always do our dinner nights out at japanese because of the healthier options. I always order the seaweed salad and clear soup, and a tuna roll and salmon roll , both with brown rice. Its ok to ask for the brown rice they should be able to accommodate you, its just as good if not better tasting!
I would recommend leaning towards simple and staying away from any of the fancier rolls that include some kind of sauce. Most sauces involve the japanese mayo. Seared tuna or tuna shashimi is also delicious and good for you.
Regardless - don't forget to enjoy your dinner out and don't stress too much over it
OnaMission29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #5  

Agreed on the sodium, which is why I do clear soup over the miso. And I personally don't use soy sauce at all when I eat sushi. If you prefer to use it, ask if they have low sodium soy sauce available.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #6  

Sorry - one more thing! If you aren't into raw fish, you could try the california or any of the veggie rolls with brown rice.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

Japanese restaurants are great - I usually ask them to make me sushi rolls with no rice and they usually can and will do that. I have also asked them to make me kani salad (I think it's fake crab) with the spicy mayo on the side.
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

If you're going for a Japanese restaurant... sushi or sashimi. Along with miso soup (I dislike clear soup, personally), and light salads.

If it's pure calorie count you're looking at, then aim for vegetable rolls or things like shrimp rolls. Read the descriptions and you can skip the ones that have creamy or fried things in them.

Avoid tempura anything! (Means it's battered and fried)

And if it comes down to it, most Japanese restaurants have versions of steamed vegetable dishes with only minimal sauces. Rice tends to be served in a separate bowl so you can cut that in half if you want any at all. And some restaurants can even serve you brown rice instead of white rice if you prefer.

(Though sushi should really stay white rice for flavor)

Last edited by Lovely; 08-16-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: *sigh* Spellin'
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I love going out for Japanese. I usually get a few pieces of sushi and maybe an avocado roll. Maybe split an appetizer... do some research on calorie count estimates before you go. I know I found some a few years ago. Enjoy!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote