Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #1  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Default 17 Days of Getting Back on Track. Anyone want ot join me?

I got kind of sucked into buying a fad diet book. I was drawn to the title by the 17 days. I can do anything for 17 days, right? And also by the claims of people losing 10-12 pounds in that time. Now, let me say that I am way to wise to believe in fad diets. Been there. Done that. But I like the 17 days time frame. I need a short term place to start. I have really been struggling to get back in the right mind-set. I gained a ton of weight this past winter and I can't get re-started. I need a kick-start.

There are 17 days until the end of the month. By then I should be well on my way to losing the winter weight.

Who wants to join me?
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #2  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Here is my plan. It is basically the old Weight Watchers Core Plan. I liked it, and it worked for me. And it is nutritionally balanced, and healthy, and I don't have to count points or calories.

- No sugar
- Lean proteins
- Fat free dairy
- One serving of whole wheat pasta or potato/day
- Lots of fruit and veggies
- One serving of fat free, sugar free cereal/day
- whole grains
- 2 tsp of healthy oil/day

Lots of water.

Eat only when hungry.

Take my vitamins.

In addition I will walk or some other exercise 30 mins at least 5 times/week.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #3  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Day One:

MWI: 250

Walked 30 mins this morning before work.

Breakfast:
- mixture of fruits topped with ff yogurt and Fiber One.

Plan for the rest of the day:
- Salad greens topped with flavoured tuna
- more of the mixed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches)
- Dill salmon, corn on the cob, salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Maybe a ff fudgesicle after dinner, but I have to check and see if they have any sugar in them.

Last edited by Judy Lynn; 08-15-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Hi, Judy - I'm not going to officially join your challenge because I'll be on vacation and away from a computer (notice I didn't say "away from a scale" because it's going with me!) from the 27th through Labor Day and I'll miss the end of the challenge. Friends and I (and our families) rent cottages on the lake shore about 20 miles from home for the last week of summer and get Labor Day weekend as extra days, so it's close to home and we come back and forth quite a bit. I usually work a couple days, come in to pick and/or water the garden, etc. And I'm taking my scale with me, so I can weigh in. The "menu" you posted is almost identical to how I've been eating since I started this process in mid January, except I only eat pasta, potatoes, and rice once in a while - maybe once a week. I laughed at your breakfast - it is exactly what I eat EVERY day. If I don't do the Fiber One thing, there are big problems later! LOL.

For me, the challenge will be exercising and eating this way while at the cottage - there are at least 8 families involved and meals become a nightly food fest. I just have to eat what I know is good and keep portions under control. I guess I'll be walking and doing what I can on my own for those days. If I just maintain for those 10 days I'll be happy.

I think you'll do well on this plan - 17 days or forever. I've found it to be pretty easy to stick with this type eating at home and away. I don't strictly count calories but try to stay at about 1500-1600 right now. I drink at least 100 ounces of water and go to the gym almost every day for either cardio or weight training. I also try for 7 hours sleep, but that doesn't always happen in the summer - just too much to do.

Good luck.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 08-15-2011 at 12:42 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

I would love to do it with you..... back on track today after a week full of nothing but bad choices! ?I have a wedding coming up on the forth and would love to be in the 160s by then.
WE CAN DO IT..... 13 pounds in 17 days is not unrealistic at all! After that, I have a full week to lose a couple of more. I will keep you posted daily on my progress and what I eat! Good Luck Judy.... in two and half weeks, lets be nothing but smiles
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #6  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Hi Shmoops, glad to have you aboard!

Lin, thanks for your encouragement, it means a lot! Have a great vacation. Sounds like you are a determined woman with a plan.

Last edited by Judy Lynn; 08-16-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #7  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Day Two:

MWI: 249

Breakfast:
- ff cottage cheese with blueberries, topped with All Bran Buds

- Salad greens topped fake crab
- mixed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches)
- chicken, small potato, salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
-ff fudgesicle after dinner

Yesterday went well, although I did have a granola bar that had a lot of sugar in it.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #8  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Day Three:

Breakfast:
- ff cottage cheese with blueberries, topped with All Bran Buds

- Going out for lunch with DH, so will have a large salad with some kind of protein, probably chicken
- mixed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches)
- lean turkey sausage, whole wheat pasta, broccoli/carrotts
-ff fudgesicle after dinner

I had a good day yesterday. I had a small bowl of cereal before bed, and still woke up hungry this morning.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #9  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

I actually love to wake up hungry. I try not to eat if I'm not hungry, but I like to eat breakfast because all of the "experts" say it gets your metabolism revved for the day. Plus, if I wake up hungry, I interpret that as a sign that I ate the right amount of calories the day before instead of eating "extra." I know it's not scientific, and doesn't even really make sense, but it helps me stay on track and "keep my head in the game."

Congratulations on your progress! And great job on keeping this thread alive every day with your accountability! 14 more days then? Yay!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #10  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Day Four:

MWI: 248

Slept in and missed my walk this morning.

Breakfast:
- ff cottage cheese with raspberries

- Wrap with deli roast beef and mixed greens. Carrots, broccoli.
- strawberries topped with ff vanilla yogurt
- Plum
- probably a Berry chicken salad from Wendy's for dinner
- ff fudgesicle after dinner

We are going out tonight to a musical production, but there won't be any food challenges there.

I am starting to feel like I am getting my game face on. What a great feeling!

We are going to Las Vegas this weekend for a concert (Josh Groban), but I am determined to make good food choices and not un-do all my hard work this week.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #11  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Day Four:
MWI: 248

Breakfast:
- high fiber hot cereal with ff vanilla yogurt and blueberries on top (yum!)

We are headed to Las Vegas for the weekend. I will eat mindfully and as low calorie as possible in restaurants. No buffets! Those things are evil!

I have a job interview this morning, and oh how I wish I was thinner. I have so much more self-confidence. Plus, I totally believe that some employers have fat prejudice. But, it is what it is. I can't change my weight over-night. Hopefully they can see past my weight and judge me on my experience and skills.

I probably won't check in until Monday.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #12  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

Just wanted to say that I hope your job interview went well. And yeah, you're right about the "fat prejudice." It's actually pretty well documented. But your attitude about it is perfect. You can't hide it the way others hide alcoholism or sex addiction or those things that will really get a company in trouble.

Let us know how the job interview went! (And the weekend in Vegas. Though with more challenging food situations, there are also usually more opportunities to burn calories.)
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #13  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Day Seven:

Walked 30 mins. before work.

Breakfast:
- high fiber hot cereal with ff vanilla yogurt and blueberries on top

- Wrap with deli roast beef
- peach
- cottage cheese with raspberries/blueberries
- bacon wrapped turkey from M&M meats, salad, corn
- yogurt
- ff fudgesicle
- smalll bowl of cereal

Vegas was good. The Josh Groban concert was fantastic! I think I did OK food-wise. Definitely more calories than if I would have been at home, but it's all part of living a full life, right?

The job interview went OK, I thought. They will let me know if they want me to come in for another interview with the big boss. I am not 100% convinced it is the perfect job for me, but it would be better than where I am.

Last edited by Judy Lynn; 08-23-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 AM   #14  

I can't join until at least Friday, so I'll have to go a few days longer than you - but I'm totally up for it.

My plan will look something (although perhaps not totally) like this:

First 17 days:
Pay attention to food ONLY.

Second 17 day cycle:
Add (at least) 2 days of exercise no fewer than 15 minutes per day.

Third 17 day cycle:
Add another 2 days of exercise no fewer than 15 minutes per day.

Fourth 17 day cycle:
Drop down to 2 days of exercise but bump up the time to 30 minutes each.

Fifth 17 day cycle:
Add another 2 days of exercise at 30 minutes each.

This leaves me on November 19. This is a very significant day for me. It will mark 2 years since I suffered a massive pulmonary embolism that almost killed me. And 2 years since I began to put more and more thinking into my weight and really began wishing it would go down.

I plan to focus more on food rather than exercise, as I do believe the ratio is more what you eat than what you burn. I will be trying to stick to the food in the book as close as possible. And if I can't, then at least within the guidelines.

Hopefully, I can stick to this.

Last edited by Rainbowgirl; 08-23-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #15  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

Welcome RainbowGirl! I'm glad to have company here. Your plan sounds doable. That pulmonary embollism must have been very scary! I'm glad you are OK.

Looks like you are a night owl, judging from the time on your post. Not me, that is unless I can't sleep, which happens occasionally.

Why Friday, BTW? Oh, never mind. I just read on your other thread that you are waiting until Friday to buy the book. Here is a website, if you want a preview, that has the grocery list from the book, and some other general stuff. http://tksinclair.com/?page_id=267

Last edited by Judy Lynn; 08-23-2011 at 11:15 AM.