General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #1  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Red face may be going a little overboard with gift...

I decided to knit a gift for my boss for her b'day, a lap blanket -- she gave me a stack of gifts on my b'day, and gave my bf gifts for his too. A handmade gift seemed like a nice idea, plus I didn't want to make it too pricey. I already had several balls of the yarn I wanted to use (though I thought I had more of it, to be honest).

Well, today I ordered the rest of the yarn. The project ended up taking more yarn than I thought it would overall, and the cost ended up being pricier than I thought it would. I'm about a quarter of the way done with the project. But I'm not sure if the gift now seems too much overboard. What do you all think? What would you do? Save it, and give her something else? or just go with the original idea?

am feeling a little dumb about how I didn't think this our beforehand

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 08-14-2011 at 02:34 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I wud give it anyway, otherwise you wud end up buying something else. If you think, it is too much. then make a tote bag from the yarn and use rest of the yarn for some other time.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Are you asking if the gift is overboard because you feel leery of giving away such an expensive item, or because your boss may think you're kissing up to her? Or because you're worried that it will create some weird imbalance in the very delicate balance inherently present in the world of gift-giving?
I think the key here is whether or not your boss will grasp how much money you spent to create the gift. Speaking as a person totally unfamiliar with the cost of craft supplies, I would look at the balnket and say, "Wow, what a beautiful item and thoughtful gesture - it must have taken her 20 hours to create [or however many hours it took]." But I wouldn't think the materials were pricey - I would think that maybe $15 worth of yarn would create such a piece.
Based on you writing this post, my guess is that the materials cost you much more! But see, I wouldn't know that. Would your boss?
I guess what I'm saying is, if your boss bought you a stack of gifts - and your boyfriend too - and you bought her a Louis Vuitton handbag, well, that's overboard because she can easily discern the value of the bag (i.e., by researching the retail price for the item). But in this case, will it even register with her that your blanket is "overboard"?
Let us know if you continue to knit it - it sounds lovely!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #4  

Hi,

I thnik a homemade food item or one of those jar recipes in which you put all the ingredients in the jar and include the recipe would be a good but less expensive alternative.

I have never felt the need to match a boss gift to me with one anywhere the same value. After all most bosses make considerably much more money.

I worked in a large corporate environment and your situation might be much more personal.

In all honnesty, I lked it best when the company had a no gift policy. The company did give gift cards and it was considered a business expense which was a tax write off. The employees never gave anything.

The idea of such a time consuming gift would never have entered my mind. I did once make a quilt for a dear friend and it was a labor of love. If you really care for your boss then I say "go for it". However what will you do next year and the year after?

It seems really weird to me that your boss gave your boyfriend a gift unless you are all personal friends .

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #5  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

My husband said I could knit sweaters and sell them. I advised him that the cost of the yarn would be prohibitive; people would much more readily buy a cheap(er) mass produced machine knit than pay for the cost of the yarn necessary for a hand-knit sweater, not even taking into account my time.

I'm currently knitting a hat for my dd's bf. It cost me 2 skeins of Vanna's choice in Mets blue and orange. Maybe you want to rethink a large blanket and make her a hat instead and return the extra yarn? Maybe even a hat and a scarf?

My second thought is, if you crochet, maybe crochet it instead as crocheting takes a lot less yarn. Of course, that means ripping out all you've accomplished already on the project. Maybe keep the project and give it to someone you love...not your boss?

I recently crocheted a sleeveless tunic for my daughter using Patons Grace, and it cost me $50 to make--and the yarn was on sale and I saved $13 on it. That was a labor of love, something I wanted her to have for the rest of her grown life.

The bottom line is, people who craft know how much time and $ goes into making something, and it can be as cheap or expensive as you wish to make it...depending on the supplies you use. If you use Red Heart bought on a good sale, something can be made quite cheaply.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Generally at the work place, the etiquette is to "gift down." Your boss gives you nicer gifts than you give them. But when you get to be friendly, it's easy to blur the lines. My sister knits for me and I also think of it as how much TIME she put into doing something thoughtful, not about the expense. I think you should do what you want. If you want to finish it and gift it, go for it.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #7  
Never surrender

great points. it's a very small mom and pop biz, and that's why they know my bf and give him gifts. they have a couple of kids and we've made stuff for them (I knitted the 11 year old a stuffed toy). I admit that I love to knit, so in a way part of the gift is for me.

I'll confess here, the yarn ended up being $58. her gifts to me would be more than that monetarily, but yes, my hesitation was the "weird imbalance" idea. I don't think she'd have a clue how much the yarn would cost. It is a fairly intricate lace blanket pattern. The time and effort I don't have a problem with, as I want to do the project and will finish it in any event.

BF says go ahead and give it to her too, which I think I will. I'll post a pic when I'm finished.
here's the pattern
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ebb-tide-afghan
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My personal opinion is if you don't finish it and give it to her you won't be totally happy...

I say go with your original plan kid!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #9  
Never surrender

thanks, Gary! I got the rest of the yarn on Thursday (ordered it cheaper online), and I'm knitting away!

the food gift is a good idea too, her hubby's b'day is 9/13 and I'm going to make him something foodwise.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #10  
...Live.Your.Dream...

S/C/G: 186/180/150

Height: 5'6"

I wish I knew someone to make me that blanket! or could make it myself! I love it!!
WendeeLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #11  

Very pretty blanket! I've only ever knit baby blankets... They take so long! You have to be pretty special to receive a blanket My knitting gifts are usually much smaller - cowls, hats, mitts, mug warmers, tea cozies, apple jackets... Those I can handle making for other people!

Good luck with it, I'd love to see a pic when you're done! (I'm currently surrounded by yarn myself )
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #12  
Never surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluvion View Post
Very pretty blanket! I've only ever knit baby blankets... They take so long! You have to be pretty special to receive a blanket My knitting gifts are usually much smaller - cowls, hats, mitts, mug warmers, tea cozies, apple jackets... Those I can handle making for other people!

Good luck with it, I'd love to see a pic when you're done! (I'm currently surrounded by yarn myself )
thanks! re blanket. I'm actually 1/3 of the way done, I'm a fast knitter, and it relaxes me. I commute, and I do it for about 1/2 or so on the train each way too. Probably about a 4 to 5 week project for me, that's with working and life, ha.

I like picking projects where I do something new and learn something. If I'd picked an easier pattern, I probably could crank it out faster.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #13  
Never surrender

the finished blanket and Chloe my cat
Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 193/153.4/145

Height: 5'6" Low Carb WOE

The blanket is beautiful and Chloe is adorable!
You have inspired me to dig out my knitting needles
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Very nice! Angie would be so jealous if I showed her
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote