General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Default Life without a microwave...

Okay - today we did it! I posted our microwave in the "Free" section of Craigslist and got 30 (!) responses within 45 minutes - and I gave it away to the first person who responded!

I have to say, I'm a bit nervous now! We ended up getting rid of it because I bought a high-end toaster oven AND a high-end electric kettle for heating water, and we have a Keurig as well as a french press. We just didn't have the counter space for everything and when I thought about it, I realized we don't use the microwave too much. We have a stove-top popcorn popper that we adore, tastes sooooo much better than microwaved and we can add exactly what we want to it.

We don't eat frozen microwavable dinners anymore and tea and coffee don't sit around long enough to have to reheat (hah!). I use hot water in the dogs' food (to make a nice gravy) but I can use the electric kettle now. We also don't do leftovers very much, and we can easily use the toaster oven or stovetop for any of those items. I've always done corn-on-the-cob in the microwave, but I'm guessing it's just as easy to boil it (maybe a pressure cooker?).

So...why am I so nervous about being without one?! I've had one since my freshman year of college in 1989 and though I know I can live without...I'm feeling oddly nervous.

Anyone else here not have a microwave? Do you ever miss having one? Was it weird when you got rid of it, or have you never had one?

I'm trying to allay my anxiety!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I am sure you will be fine and after a few weeks you won't even miss it!

I went without for about 5 months once and it was totally fine. Occasionally I would want something that I usually made in the microwave, but I always found another way to make it.

The only thing I really missed it for was reheating food (it was just so convenient), but it sounds like that won't be a huge issue for you.
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/154/140

Height: 5'7"

We don't have a microwave either. Mostly because the one we had was broken and we didn't feel like replacing it. There's also not enough counter space for one even if we had it fixed.

It's really no problem - the stove works just fine for reheating things. There are some things I'll wish we had the microwave for, like popcorn or when I'm in a rush, but otherwise it's not an issue.
mindymoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I gave my microwave to friends who needed it more than me when theirs broke (two working parents and kids - without the microwave some days no meal would get heated at all...). I figured I'd pick one up on craig's list, maybe a smaller one than I'd had.

Anyway, that was more than 2 years ago and I've found I really haven't missed it. Reheating leftovers and softening butter take a little longer but I like the counter space and not having another thing to keep clean.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #5  
it's always something

Mine died yesterday and might not be replaced. I use a kettle to heat water for tea, but I did use the microwave daily. I'm single, so I batch cook and freeze individual portions of food which reheat best in the microwave.

They just don't make things the way they used to. I had my last microwave for more than 10 years, it was a Sharp brand. I've had this one for less than a year (Oster brand). Everything is made to be replaced quickly these days, and of course never repaired. http://www.storyofstuff.com/
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #6  

Wow, yay for you! I can't imagine doing without our microwave. With 2 picky kids I use mine for 70% of the cooking. I'm not proud of that. But if I had to cook for just myself I think I might get by. Good for you!
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #7  

I havn't had a microwave in over ten years, even with a kid. The only time I ever even think about it is when I wish I could heat up a lavender neck pillow!!
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

My mom HATED microwaves! She can talk for hours about the evils of food molecules being messed up due to microwave ovens. She refused to use ours, and even though my DH and I have one, we rarely use it. Its a convection oven as well, and I have yet to try that out either.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #9  
KindaFunToDoTheImpossible

Height: 5'9''

I hope you have a popcorn machine! Popcorn is about the only thing I use my microwave for! I would miss it, just for popcorn, but other than that - not having a microwave is probably survivable!
Katers88 is offline   Reply With Quote