Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default It's Time to End the War On Salt

Not strictly related to dieting/weight loss, but since so many of us are undertaking a new way of eating to develop better health, I think it's relevant.

From the article:

This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine—an excellent measure of prior consumption—the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease. These findings call into question the common wisdom that excess salt is bad for you, but the evidence linking salt to heart disease has always been tenuous.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...he-war-on-salt

I definitely recommend reading the whole thing!
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

That's very interesting. Reminds me of the "fat is bad" bandwagon that America is on.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't know if it was this study or a similar one that I saw recently, but it has given me food for thought. Salt does tend to increase blood pressure and high blood pressure does tend to be associated with poor vascular health.

But perhaps the correlation of poor vascular health and high blood pressure is due to "hardening of the arteries" (fatty deposits), which is not caused by salt. Whereas high blood pressure from salt is more of an osmotic pressure thing (and really relates more to the relative abundance to potassium). It's possible that osmotic pressure is actually fine.

So, I have been thinking about it, but it hasn't really affected me, since I've never been overboard either way on salt.

Last edited by yoyoma; 08-12-2011 at 12:14 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I have no concern about getting "too little" salt in my diet. Lots of foods are loaded with sodium. I'm sure I'm covered. I don't add salt to anything or keep salt in my house. Although this is not because I am worried that adding salt is "bad." I just don't like it.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #5  

this is contradictory, i don't know whether it's very wise to abandon the routen that we had know for long and found quote applicable to this. I don't mean that all this are lies but to be on the safest side don't resolve to taking too much salt; take just enough like before and don't add some in your food if didn't do it before. What I simply mean is be your self until when you have confirmed the whole truth.
PhatBeth is offline   Reply With Quote