Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 02:06 AM   #1  

Unhappy Why can't I leave the idea of diet pills alone?

Hi y'all
I'm 18, and delurking finally. I've been searching for so long on a pill that could just help me out a little bit, but all I do is waste time, time that could be spent on more productive and proven ways to lose weight like, exercing, getting more active, and eating healthy. Instead I'm always looking on the internet for something new that may work, including prescription, over-the counter pills, etc. And I must admit that I waste alot of time at the computer looking up info on this or that pill. I've already wasted money trying some. I know there is nothing new under the sun, but some of these advertisers can have you believing anything, common sense be damned, and people try them anyway knowing they wont work. So I'm hoping some people that have been there and done that can give a few words to remind me that I really need to let go of it all. I'm tired of looking, i get headaches, and I really want to know that I can do this without drugs.
Nicole
Old 06-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #2  

I personally have never used pills for weightloss but I know at least 10 people who have and lost the weight. BUT I dont know any of them that kept it off for very long after getting off the pills. I have to admit, many times I've been tempted especially when friends would do it and lose a bunch while I was still struggling. Everytime tho, 6 months later, they were all right back where they started. That's why when I started this past Oct I was determined not to do anything that I couldnt do FOREVER. It's only logical that you cant take pills forever. Healthy eating and exercise are the only things that can permanently help you lose and keep it off. We have to turn those things into habits, just like we did this bad eating! Thats just my opinion, anyway.

Miki
Old 06-18-2003, 02:48 PM   #3  

The desire to lose weight is one that royally screws with our heads. Unfortunately, our heads usually want a quick fix. I took Metabolife 3 years ago and besides having a racing heart and lightheadedness, found it not one bit helpful. You don't have a diet pill problem, you have a head problem. Diet pills will not solve your problem only you can solve your problem. You HAVE to decide what you want out of life and either go for it or leave it alone. Weight loss is multi-faceted. You must learn how to deal with binging, cravings, triggers, behaviour modification and these are all HEAD problems and pills can't do a darn thing about that. Sure, there are some that can curb appetite, but what the heck will that help when you quit taking them and the appetite comes back. BALOON time! Instead of wasting time looking for magic, find a program that works for you and work on your head problems. I am doing it. I have lost 90 lbs since January and am going all the way (I have 170 more to lose)

Good luck to you.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:49 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Ya know, Meg (one of the smart gals at the Ladies who Lift forum here at 3FC) posted something just last week at the Buyer Beware forum that you might find interesting...
Quote:
Losing Weight Is Only The First Step
You know, Mrs Jim, I was thinking about what you said in your post — that there are no secrets to weight loss or magic pills or whatever — and you are so right. But even if there was such a thing, it wouldn’t work in the long run. Huh? you say — wouldn’t it be great if I could wake up tomorrow morning and instantly be 30 pounds thinner? And my answer is NO. Here’s why (and I am speaking from experience here since I — like Mrs Jim — have lost well over 100 pounds and am maintaining):

Weight loss is only the first stage of weight management. I think it’s a mistake to focus on losing pounds like that is the goal — it is nothing but the first step to successful weight maintenance. And it is a very important first step because it teaches you the skills and knowledge that you MUST have in order to keep off the weight for the rest of your life. If you skip that step, you never have a chance to acquire the tools that you need to MAINTAIN your weight. I’m willing to bet that almost everyone here has lost weight before and regained it. Keeping it off is the hard part, folks!

It took me a year to lose 125 pounds. I’m so glad it didn’t happen any faster — it was a year of tremendous changes as it was. I learned so much in that year — I learned a totally different way to eat (which I still do every day — maintenance doesn’t look any different than losing), I learned how to exercise, how to talk to myself, how my body reacts to different levels of carbs, calories etc., how to deal with setbacks, how to deal with emotions — the list could go on and on. Bottom line — you’ve got to live the lifestyle and learn as you’re losing or you will have no hope of keeping the weight off.

When I weighed 257 pounds, I used to wish that I would magically wake up the next morning and be thin. But do you know what? If that ever happened, I probably would have celebrated by eating a bag of Oreos. I would not have learned a thing about weight maintenance. So be happy that there is no magic pill or cure or secret formula. Take it one day at a time because this is forever and there’s no reason to hurry. There is no end in this journey — this is your life.

Meg
Old 06-18-2003, 06:27 PM   #5  

What Meg wrote is the probably the most intelligent thing I have read in a long time. It really hit home with me because I too am always wanting the quick fix. I've finally started exercising regulary and am trying to eat better, but the weight is not coming off. I know that it's going to take time and that there is no "magic pill" that is going to this for me. I think Meg's words of wisdom would do a lot of people a lot of good. They really hit home with me.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:42 PM   #6  
Starting Over Again!

S/C/G: 185/119/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Losing is the First Part...

Mrs. Jim's post said it all...losing is just the first part to long-term weight management. I have used Dexatrim and Accutrim in the past and would be using them now if they had not been taken off the market. They were a crutch and they seemed to help with my appetite but the weight always came back. This time I'm losing weight without my pills and I'm actually learning what I need to do to KEEP it off!!!

I journal every day...that's my secret. I've lost nearly 40 lbs. since Jan 21st and I've written down what I eat and how many cals. are in everything that goes in my mouth. If I have a bad day, I write it all down...I've had days where I took in over 3000 cals. but I wrote it down anyway. I average 14 days at a time to get an idea of what my (avg.) daily intake is and I've found that one bad day averaged into 13 good ones does not ruin your diet. Just get right back on the wagon and continue doing the best you can.

I also do not enjoy doing a lot of exercise. I finally decided to do what I could see myself doing every day...that's about 20 minutes on the treadmill using hand weights. Sometimes I add in some work on the Solo Flex but that's about it. I'm active some days more than others and work in the yard and keep the house clean but nothing extraordinary. I keep my cal. intake (avg.) around 1200 to 1400 and the weight's coming off.

What I realize is that I will continue doing the exact same things that I'm doing now when I reach my goal weight. I can't just slip back to eating fast food all the time and getting seconds just because the food tastes good. I need to walk everyday and pay attention to my weight....it's just a fact and now I know what I've got to do to be successful. I will always have to keep a journal...no problem It's a small price to pay to feel and look better.

Diet pills are only a quick fix...in the long run they don't teach you the skills you need to keep the weight off.

Good luck to you...I know you can do this!!! You have lots of support here!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #7  
Cute Chick

S/C/G: 254/202/135

Height: 5'0"

I am not here to push pills...But at the beginning of the year I started taking xenedrine EFX for about 8 weeks...I dropped nearly 20 lbs...and I stopped taking it shortly after Valentine's Day (to see if I would gain the weight back)...I have NOT gained ANY of the weight back...I eat pretty much what I want...within reason of course....

It just depends on the pill you choose, and how your body reacts to it...that's all...

If you choose to try EFX, the only thing that I will stress to you is to Drink PLENTY of water and follow the directions....
Old 07-16-2003, 02:42 PM   #8  
"L" in Loser!

I just wanted to add onto what these brilliant ladies are saying. You didn't add it over night...it's not coming off overnight. And, it very important to remember that this is a LIFELONG PROCESS (weight management). I am just starting to realize that. If I want to be thin for the rest of my life, I am going to have to eat right and exercise for the rest of my life. That's just the way it is. But, the benefits are tremendous and very rewarding. I can actually run now...maybe not for miles on end, but I can run. I used to run 2 steps and be out of breath. Now, it would probably take at least half a mile to get me out of breath. I know half a mile isn't much but when you stop to think of it, how many people can say that they can run that far?

It's hard, I know...we all do...but, if your goal is to take it off and keep it off, it is going to take some time. And, when you slip, it's ok...just get back on the wagon. I know I'm gonna. But, I am not going to let the weight creep back on me like last time. That I can do. As a matter of fact, this week I am throwing out ALL of my big clothes just so I will have a reason to help keep the weight off.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #9  

Default Hi Ambitious,

Believe this 41 year old, I have tried every diet pill you can name I can tell you what color and shape it is. Even with the phe-phen I lost 60 lbs and then was terrified because a lot of people were reporting heart trouble. I was lucky that I did not get sick but many people have. But please listen to me they are all garbage, it is just a quick fix for desperate people like us and a money maker for the makers of those products. just like the creams you rub on or the belts that melt away the fat. Loosing weight is not easy nor is there a magic pill or potion that will erase all the cakes, chocolate and fried foods we have consumed over the years. It took me a long time to really find this out for myself I hope it does not take that long for you. I have now lost 80 pounds watching what I eat and excercising. Yes I still hate not being able to have the large quantities of the foods I love. But I do indulge every once in a while in piece or a slice of something otherwise you get tired of being deprived. It is a lifetime commitment and it is not easy. My advise get support from here from home, from people going through the same struggle and stay away from the pills. They are very temporary and usually you end up gaining twice the weight when you stop taking them. Good Luck to you. I hope I helped some.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:36 PM   #10  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Nicole,

I think it's imbedded into a heavy person's mind that we can't lose
without an aid of some kind.
I know for me, that I'm from the era of diet pills and it's hard to get around the thoughts that I STILL have in my head!
My Dr put me on STRONG PERSCRIPTION pills at the tender age of 14! I've taken them all, and the old saying is true...once you stop taking them, the weight comes right back on plus more! I've never been one to take the over the counter type, because I thought they were a waste of money!
Listen to MRS JIM...she's got it all going...find a plan that you can live with and I PROMISE...it will come off...do it slow..it's the ONLY WAY!!!

BOB
Old 08-25-2003, 02:04 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Conjugated Linoleic Acid. (CLA)

L-Carnitine.

They are expensive & found @ the health food store.
Closed Thread