Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/195/150

Height: 5'1

Default Should I push harder or ease up?

Last month I found myself just deciding to go all out and work out on the elliptical or walking when the gym is closed for between 45-60 mins, 5 days a week. I did this for about 4 weeks, with the current week being my 5th one. But I feel like I lost the power to keep up the length of time anymore. I know I've gotten stronger in the cardiovascular department, as I could hold about 7.5 mph on the treadmill for a few minutes, which I could barely keep up 4 mph before I started this experiment. But after only 20-30 minutes, my body is getting exhausted and sick and I feel like I'm worn out for hours after the workouts. Before I used to leave the 60 minutes of cardio drenched with sweat and filled with energy for the rest of the day, but now I feel like I'm not as sweaty and a little nauseated after only 20 minutes, even when I ease up on the intensity.

I'm not sure if I should push through the exhaustion or maybe take a break from exercise till this funk drifts away on it's own. I am losing weight at a modest 1-2 lbs during this time, so I don't think it's a plateau, I'm just wondering why my body can't seem to do what it's used to be so happy to do these last few weeks.

Last edited by saintxio; 08-10-2011 at 05:18 PM.
saintxio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, I don't think it means you need to ease up in how often you exercise or how long, but maybe in the intensity. Or, look at your hydration or your caloric intake - see if something is missing? Are you fighting some bug? I guess I would want to find out WHY, not just quit.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

I would take a break from exercising for at least a couple of days, while also making sure you are getting plenty of sleep. Still keep track of your calories on the rest days though! Then, see how you feel once you start back.
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #4  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Are you eating enough to warrant exercising with vigor ? I walk 10 K every evening after work, if i don't eat something before hand i will feel weak and exhausted, that's on top of my usual moderate intake during the day.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #5  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

saintxio - Unfortunately not enough information to give an educated guess on this one yet. What is your caloric intake/day? How much of that is protein (cause my nutritionist upped this for me due to my activity level increase)? How many ounces of water are you drinking (sweat proves you have hydration... lessen the sweat and add nausea, could be hydration issue). Are you clammy or just nauseous? Do you watch your heart rate? Is it possibly going too high (not just cause of intensity; it could be your fighting a virus without realizing and it can cause your heart to overwork). To all of these, I would say, your body is talking to you, do NOT try to work through it. However, until you have all information to find out why, you also won't know when you can pick it back up again... or what to change in order to progress it upwards safely. I hope that helps give you the things to look for?
ItsMyTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/153/135

Height: 5'9''

I've gone through bouts like this before.. i run track at school, so i definitely feel your pain with regards to having to push through fatigue/nausia/sickness.. One thing that i've noticed that will really take my energy away though, is when i start taking in too many carbs, with not enough fats and proteins (sometimes i go a little pasta-crazy..) If you're just starting up a new vigorous workout routine, you're body is probably going to need a boost in protien(/iron) and fats to help build those new muscles and keep your energy up! Sometimes all you need is a long weekend though haha
Keep up the good work though! 5 weeks strong is great!
pandadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

How much are you eating? Why are you working out so hard?

Exercise supports weight loss, but it doesn't cause it. That's about the food. If you are eating low calories and exercising that much on top of it, it's no wonder your body is giving out.

This isn't a race or an endurance contest. I have seen too many people on 3FC who decide if a little is good, then a whole lot must be better. Then they get injured...

I'd suggest you give yourself a rest every 3rd day and make sure you're getting enough protein--like, around 100 gms per day.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintxio View Post
But after only 20-30 minutes, my body is getting exhausted and sick and I feel like I'm worn out for hours after the workouts.
This is not normal. To be blunt, you're not even doing that much exercise.

Either -

A) You have pushed yourself too hard, too fast. Now you're slightly over trained.
B) Something else is wrong.

Either way the last thing I would suggest is pushing through it. I would suggest taking a week off and see how you feel.

Also - as others have mentioned - what does your nutrition look like?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #9  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

I know this might sound a little conservative, but I'd suggest seeing your doctor. Try getting some blood work to see what's going on that's wearing you out. You might not find anything out, but it's worth a try. And, you might also be able to talk to a dietitian or nutritionist about altering your meal plan. It sound like you've been working quite hard. That's great! But, I agree with the other posters on this thread who say you should listen to your body because it's telling you something. Figuring it out will help you move forward without injury or setbacks. Good luck!
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Ditto on what JohnP said.

Taking a guess based on what you posted, you probably did too much too fast. Take a week "off". Spend a week doing yoga or walking or gardening - or whatever that is lighter and something you enjoy. Then go back and hit the elliptical again. If that doesn't help - make sure (like other posters said) that you are getting enough protein, whole grains. If you feel sluggish enough - talk to your Dr.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #11  
I think I can...

Sounds strange to me. I used to feel really run down like beyond the normal I'm tired because I work full time and have 3 kids and a husband. Turns out I was SERIOUSLY iron deficient.
My suggestion is to stop and go see your doctor.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I also exercise a lot -- 8-9 hours a week (that's almost every day, but I take Fridays off and double up on other days). I found the same thing started happening and I don't know if it's over-training, but I had to look at my nutrition and my sleep schedule.

But exercising that much, I had only 24 hours between my next session and I had to learn that I had to eat really well and sleep really well to make sure my body could handle the next session.

I would check your nutrition again and make sure you're changing things up (for example, I do cardio every other day, pilates every other day) and that gives my body time to recover from one type of exercise to another.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #13  

45-60 minutes is considered to be for health. You have to do at least an hour for it to effect weight loss and it has to be at least 6 days a week. You need to give more information. Studies have shown that moderate paced exercise is just as effective as intense. I work out 2 hours a day 6 days a week, worked up gradually, have a carb + protein snack 30 minutes before and a protein shake within an hour after exercise and feel great during and after exercise - and I'm 69 years young!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
45-60 minutes is considered to be for health. You have to do at least an hour for it to effect weight loss and it has to be at least 6 days a week.
Totally false. Exercise burns calories nothing more. There is nothing magical about an hour six days a week other than the fact that it burns more calories than 30 minutes a day four times a week.

I can't imagine spending two hours a day doing cardio I would go insane. However, you're obviously in awesome shape so congrats on that.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
I walk 10 K every evening after work, if i don't eat something before hand i will feel weak and exhausted, that's on top of my usual moderate intake during the day.
You walk 10k every day?! How long does that take you?
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote