Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/see ticker/147

Height: 5'3"

Default Advice about getting a trainer (so confused)

Hi, ladies.

I need some advice. I've been at a stand-still with my weight loss since June. I've been stuck between 248 and 252. I've been working out a little less due to work. However, in the 2-3 weeks I've been able to get back into the swing of things. I still haven't broken past 248. I've reduced my carbs and that didn't work. In general, my weight loss has slowed since starting to run in January (only 22 lbs since then versus 40 pounds loss from Aug-Dec'10). So, I REALLY do need to figure out what's wrong as I would like to break into the 100's by the end of the year.

So, I've been toying with getting a personal trainer. I've had trainers (before I started to take control of my OWN weight loss) and most haven't been as successful. Some of that has been me, while some of it has been a poor choice of trainer (e.g., not wanting women to lift heavy; not reliable/personal problems, etc). I've found this trainer (he used to be a professional bodybuilder) that might be a good fit. Of course, he told me I needed to tweak things and that weight-lifting was my answer (which I somewhat agree with). However, I'm still on the fence. The cost of the trainer is about $480/month with a 3-month commitment. He usually makes his clients sign on for a year (I told him that I'm not into that and 3 months is as long I will commit). This would include 3-30 min personal training sessions a week. Plus, he wants me to stop running and just do weightlifting and walking (he thinks I'm not eating enough to sustain my workouts--I eat between 1200-1600 calories (higher on workout days)--and that I should reduce cardio and build muscle, which will increase my metabolism (which, I also understand)

So, my question is this...How have you ladies made it past the plateaus or "stuck" periods. I've been concentrating on cardio since Jan. But, lost my initial 40 lbs with P90x and walking. I'm really concerned about losing momentum and not meeting my One-derland goal (199 lbs), which has happened before. A trainer maybe the answer. But, I was hoping to continue running and tweak my own diet. Plus, I am training for a 5k in October

Sorry this is so long. But, I really am not sure how to proceed--get the trainer or not get the trainer. I started eating more this week and reducing my runs....only 3 days a week to see if I would break through. I lifted on Sunday and walked for 20 minutes; Monday- ran about 4.5 miles; Tuesday-no workout; Today-run 4.5 miles; Friday--Run 4.5 miles; Saturday-Weights and Walking. But, I've been going back and forth on the scale. I've had a personal breakthrough in doing this on my own...taking responsibility for my fitness/health..and not thinking others will do that for you (e.g., a personal trainer, etc). I'm still just confused....1400 bucks is a lot for a trainer (esp in this economy) and I do feel guilty. My DH is fine either way. But, It's hard for me to decide (what if it doesn't work).

Again, any wisdom would be appreciated!
poeticmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

http://www.leighpeele.com/running-for-weight-loss

clicky clicky
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #3  

So this trainer has hardball sales tactics (only sells a year's training at $480 a month, but can be "convinced" to lower that to 3 months-- this sounds JUST LIKE how a real estate agent tries to get you to commit to a 6- or 9-month listing off the bat) and he doesn't support one of your personal goals (the 5K). What's the attraction, again?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

IMO, any trainer that tells you not to do cardio doesn't know what they're talking about. Lifting is good and healthy and definitely increases your metabolism. Cardio strengthens your heart and respiratory system and goes a LONG way toward your health.

I'm no expert, but that was what jumped out at me.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #5  

Thanks for the link. This has been pretty much my experience. I started running to prove to myself that I can do it. But, I was doing better with walking and P90x. Maybe I should think about other ways to burn fat (and still support my runs as it's become a stress release).
Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

I was stuck at the exact same point you are, and recently broke through that plateau... I have been seeing a trainer since I started losing weight last October, doing strength training two days a week (and adding cardio on my own another 3)
My trainer suggested going really low carb to break the plateau - eating 40 grams of carb or under for two weeks, which I'm almost done with... That got my scale to start moving, where dropping calories and adding workouts hadn't.
Having a trainer has made a huge difference for me, and I too had had trainers who were not good matches in the past. One thing that helped bring the costs down for me was to do tandem training - I work out with a friend and we pay less... She is much thinner and more fit than I am, so the trainer has us doing different things at the same time.
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #7  

Let me rephrase...he told me that I should walk or do other forms of cardio instead of running (for a while). I am resistant to totally giving up running, though....but to make gains, I do need to change up my routine, right?

He's successful in training women (e.g., fitness competitors, etc.) and gets results. His everyday clients have been successful as well. What he said was very much in line with the link that mkroyer provided. He wants me to not lose muscle in the weight loss process. Yes, he was a salesman...which I TOTALLY see through. My DH is a salesman and he uses similar phrases with clients. I actually chuckled at him a couple times (and let him know that I'm not falling for it as my DH has already schooled me.). He was a great guy...intense (as many trainers are), though. But, so am I.

ETA: This wasn't meant to sound snarky...at all. Just laying it out...told you I'm intense. :-)

Last edited by poeticmuz; 08-10-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #8  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I personally agree with a lot of what the bodybuilding trainer guy said to you. I've recently started reading New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women that touches on much of the same "rules" about women and strenth training vs. endurance trainging (e.g., cardio). I recently broke through a short plateau (just over two weeks) by adding more protein - especially right after my workouts and doing intervals (2:1) on the elliptical machines rather than distance as suggested in this book.

It seems like you also agree with some of the concepts the trainer mentioned so maybe checkout this book and see if you can do what he's suggesting on your OWN? It sounds like being self reliant is something important to you and maybe this could help.
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I do small group personal training for $199/month for 3 sessions a week for an hour, so that seems expensive and a hard sell for me. I do 1/2 cardio and 1/2 weight training. I think if you want to try him, go with your gut and try it for 3 months.

I broke through my after Phentermine plateau (when I quit it) by joining my gym, adding running, and actually counting calories instead of guessing.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

My suggestion is to get a bodybugg and see exactly how many calories you are burning. That's what I use as my personal trainer. Maybe you are just burning way more calories than you think you are and you just need to eat more. Are you still losing inches?
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #11  

I've been using a BodyBugg since January and it's been SUPER helpful!! On workout days, I burn around 3150 cals and try to eat a minimum of 1600 cals. On non-workout days, I only burn around 2200-2400 cals, which means I try to eat around 1200. That gives me a 1000-calorie deficit. I've upped my cals this week and am hoping to see the scale drop a little! All I need is a 1 lb loss to show I'm making progress. I've lost inches (since March)--1 inch from my waist; 1.5 inches from my hips...1 inch from thighs. So, I have made some progress since March.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'm strictly looking at this from a money point of view - almost $500 a month for 12 or 15 sessions seems steep. While $40 per session for a single session might not be bad, I'd think a package deal would be a lot less.

The more I hear others talk about their gyms and prices, the more I love our little gym here! You can get trainer packages as low as $60 per month. I think it's 2 sessions a week. Membership is only $20 per month. Can't beat it.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #13  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticmuz View Post
So, my question is this...How have you ladies made it past the plateaus or "stuck" periods. I've been concentrating on cardio since Jan. But, lost my initial 40 lbs with P90x and walking.

why not try going back to walking and P90x since that worked well before? No harm if it doesn't but at almost $500 a month for the trainer, it's worth a shot.

Personally, I think those rates are too high and if you do want to find a trainer, you can do better. You aren't a performance athlete/competitive weight lifter, you don't need to be trained like one.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #14  

good point.... I'm going to look around for other trainers. His rate is competitive in the area...it's $40/session (3 times a week). HOWEVER, I've had enough trainers to know that I'm not down with any contract. My YMCA has a special--$300 for 12-1 hr sessions. Plus, I'm starting another boot-camp next week. I will see what I come up with. I did Turbofire today and will do weights tomorrow to switch it up!! I think I need to make sure my diet is on point (clean; no processed foods) to make sure this week and see if this moves the scale!