Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #1  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Default Has anyone seen fat, sick and nearly dead? (documentary)

So I did a one day liquid fast last week, and a month or so before that I bought a book on juicing, I finally got around to watching fat, sick and nearly dead and was so inspired! I plan to start a juice fast tomorrow. We need groceries. The rest of the fridge is pretty much cleaned out, we haven't had time to shop, so this is the perfect time to start a juice fast.

Anyhow, bf is totally gung ho to try it. We're going to try for a 10 day fast, I don't know if it's doable for me, but I'm glad he's doing it too, it should make it easier. I'm gonna give it my all!

If you haven't seen it, I suggest it. It's on netflix streaming.

Also, food, inc and killer at large are my two other food/obesity type fave documentaries.

check em' out!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I watched the preview on your blog yesterday, it looks really good. I'm going to see if Amazon Video on Demand has it.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #3  
unabashed

Gale02, it's also on youtube for 3.99 (for a 24 hour rental)
Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #4  
here we go

S/C/G: 230/217/140

Height: 5'6

I just started a 30 day Juice Fast after watching the documentary. I'm really excited about it, and so far I like all the juices I've made. Lemon and Ginger add a lot of flavor. Good luck to those who are trying this too
Wesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #5  
unabashed

wesa, I'm going until I get into the 100's most likely.

I am on day 5 and feel great!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #6  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

I saw this on your blog, too, Lottie, and watched it. I am definitely interested in trying a modified version of it. I don't want to buy a juicer, though, so I want to try one with green smoothies. I'm trying to figure out logistics, as I work far from home and work long hours sometimes.

What are you doing about exercise? It looked like Phil and Joe did pretty low-key exercise, but I would definitely want to do some strength training along with some cardio.

And calories? Juicing is beneficial for the micronutrients, it seems, but the macronutrients seem a little more challenging. I am not worried about adequate protein or fats. I am just confused on how many calories I would need to take in. Joe and Phil didn't go into much detail on this point.

I'm not convinced that too few calories stops weight loss or ruins metabolism. After all, how would weight loss surgery work if that was true? But I am interested in more detail about this issue. Do you even worry about calories? How often do you juice? Do you have to make fresh juice 5 or 6 times a day, or is 3 times a day adequate?

Yay for you for doing this! Like you, I was really inspired by the video - particularly Phil. I'm father from Wonderland than you are, but I would love a nice push in that direction!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #7  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

There are so many ways to do it.

I say go for it just be safe and practical.

I could never cause my pcos would go crazy!

Good Luck !
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #8  
unabashed

twinmomma, hmmmm, I have pcos, not having any issues there.

what do you mean 'go crazy'?

Sophrina, thanks for reading! with this sort of thing I think it's important to get what you need by just listening to your body. I'm not counting cals as I do this. I generally juice 4-5 times a day, fruits and veg, juices that are mostly fruits in the early part of the day (to burn off the sugar) and veg at night so I'm not sleeping on a bunch of sugar.

Like he mentions in the film, we are built for fasting for long periods of time due to the scarcity of food in the past. We coudl eat all spring and summer and then live off our body's reserves for the lean times. I've abused my body for years, therefore I think just a few days/weeks of juicing could only be beneficial. I do try and add flax to one smoothie a day though.

my juicing book says if you juice plenty of greens you'll get about 10 grams of protein per 16 oz cup.

Some people on twitter are exercising vigorously, I'm not. I am just walking for now, I wouldn't want to do strength training because you need protein to rebuild your muscle and heal and although I feel as though I am getting enough to just go about my day I am most likely not getting enough for muscle repair. (I could be totally wrong here, but it seems to make sense in my head.) It's a short period of time though, 15-20 days maybe, so I'm not too worried about just picking up on exercise where I left off.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #9  
~Kim~

I pretty much had the same idea, Sophrina. I tried doing a juice fast a few years ago and I just couldn't hack it. I watched the documentary a few weeks ago and I though I might have better success with smoothies and fresh produce.

This past week I actually did it. I knew I wasn't going to get nearly as much protein from a smoothie as I would juice so I added whey protein to my smoothies. And then I ate only fresh fruits and veggies. I set up a plan at the beginning of the week and ate the same thing everyday just to keep it simple and I figured up I was getting right around 1200 calories a day. I ate 5 times a day which included 5 smoothies. I also drank water and made green tea between meals.

I decided not to do any exercise. My energy wasn't the highest, and I didn't want to make it harder on myself by increasing my appetite.

I started last monday and a week later this morning I'm down 9.8lbs. It probably wasn't as beneficial as a fast and this week when I add some salt back into my diet my weight is probably going to go back up a little before down again, but I'm really happy with how it went. I'm thinking about doing it again next month for another week.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #10  
here we go

S/C/G: 230/217/140

Height: 5'6

I am am day three of a thirty day juice fast. I make a fruity Juice for breakfast, the at the same time I make a whole pitcher of a green juice. Then I just sip it all day long. I have lost 4lbs after completing two days. I feel great so far and the cravings haven't got the best of me yet.I planed to have three regular meals sometime within the thirty days (that way I don't feel like missing out). I've been golfing, and playing tennis, but I'm going to try and get exercise every day of some sort. I do feel very energized by the juice.
Wesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #11  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

So, I did further research on the Reboot website, and it appears as though there are substantial differences between smoothies and juice. So, I went on Craig's List, found me a juicer for $20 that has never been opened (an unwanted wedding present, apparently), and I think I will try the actual juicing. I plan to make juice in the morning and take it to work, rather than trying to juice at work. It says it is optimal to drink the juice within 6 hours of making it, but I am still super excited about my non-optimal, but more practical (and therefore, more likely to be completed) plan.

Juicing, here I come! I think my official "start" date will be Friday, August 12. I am going on a long-planned vacation in mid-September, so a few days before that will be the definite end. I may just try the 10 days as well. Just want to see how it goes.
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Height: 5'8"

I have considered juice fasting before, but I figured that a calorie is a calorie, so drinking 1200 calories of juice would cause me to lose at the same rate as eating 1200 calories of food, and the food seems to keep me full longer. What are the benefits of making fruits and veggies liquid rather than eating them in their solid state? Are any of you who have tried this experiencing gains once you go back on to solid food? I'm not trying to be negative at all, I just would love more of an understanding of juice fasting.
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/145/140

Height: 5'3

I loved the movie, and have an old Juiceman juicer I picked up at the Goodwill. I'm not interested in fasting, but I am trying to drink one juice a day. I hope it helps my hair grow in.
Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

I just requested it from my library. I'm fascinated to watch this now!
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #15  
unabashed

dezzips my bf has started to (slowly) reintroduce food (fruits and veg) along with juicing and has not regained.

I think if you're careful and don't binge after it's fine.

Also, the thing with juicing and why you don't just eat the veg/fruit is because if you were to actually eat as many veg as you juice, it would be pretty difficult. I use tons of fruit/veg in ONE juice, this way I get the nutrients, and my body is detoxing and it's not working hard to break through the fiber in fruits/veg, it's just getting an instant shot of goodness that goes right into your bloodstream. If you ate all the veg that you juice in a day you'd be eating all day to get the job done.