General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #1  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Default Soo, I am quitting smoking today.

I'm really nervous and scared. I am deathly afraid of putting weight on.
Last time I quit for about 2 months, due to my sever asthma- same reason I am quitting again. I remember nights of not sleeping at all or for only 4 hours at a time. Laying around feeling like I could do nothing.

I have lost weight and my main reason for not quitting is weight gain, I know it sounds stupid. But, as smokers we get used to smoking when we're hungry, and smoking to curb the appetite. I also realize, not having a cigarette to put in my mouth is not only going to make me want something but it's also stressing me out and I still have 5 cigarettes left.

I am stressing about work, I am a cashier at Walmart, people can be rude and I am way too sensitive. And I am trying to think about how I will handle these situations without cigarettes, I'm surely going to burst out in tears.

Anyone else quit smoking during trying to lose weight? Any tips? What did you do?

See, I quit last year because I was in the ER 12 times with asthma, but I found this awesome inhaler at walmart for 15 bucks and I could smoke with it. Well, that inhaler is being discontinued this december. I do not want to start going back to the ER and being filled with steroids. That's what happened all last year, that's how I got 40 pounds packed on, the steroids and not exercising or even trying to lose weight. It got so old going back to the er for more that I kinda gave up and figured I'd just stay here and die.

I feel if I don't quit it will be the same thing this year. There are many reasons why I want and need to quit, but one from stopping me- weight gain.

I need advice and tips and anything really. I've cut sugar so much out of my diet. And if I start gaining during this quitting I know I'll go back to it. bleh!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

I am a reformed smoker myself. I think the whole weight gain thing (as with most things in life) is purely mind over matter. If you feel yourself getting hungry, tell yourself - this is when I would normally smoke a cigarette BUT I won't. Ok, well since I won't smoke, now I would normally eat... but.just.don't. It really is that simple Good luck!
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Same here. I've smoked ciggs for around 2 years and when I quit I tried my best not to gain weight. I still gained around 5-7 lbs because, like nikki said, you feel hungry and instead of smoking you go for food. I just learned to drink alot of water and snack on a bowl of fruit that I made every morning.
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Kudos to you for quitting. You're doing a great thing by quitting. Your lungs will thank you.
Chewing sugarless gum may help with the mouth needing something to do. Also tic tacs or some other small sugarless mint.

I quit about 20 years ago and I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke now. One day you'll be saying that too!

Best wishes to you--you can do it!

(my dad died from emphysema from many years of smoking so I always love to read about someone quitting)
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6

I've never smoked but my late mom did and so did my dad. My mom said when she made the decision to finally quit, it was the easiest thing she ever did. My father's been a reformed smoker for almost 30 years and he's as fit as a fiddle...at 72!

You're going to feel so much better being a non-smoker. You. Can. Do. It.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #6  
Skinny chick

Check out www.whyquit.com for motivation, education, and support on quitting. That website is how I was able to quit almost ten years ago. It is awesome.
Good luck!
You can do it.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

My roommate quit a month ago today acctually. She's not really trying to diet but she put them down one day and said she was Done and her goal was to not gain a lot of weight!
Happy to report she's acctually lost a few pounds!
All about your mind and how you see it!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

How is the not-smoking going for you, ButterCup?
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote