Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #1  
**Christa**

S/C/G: 174/172/125

Default Y is everyones different??

So I have been reading everyones posts and found that alot of different plans have been given... Some ppl are allowed certain things that others are not, and its hard to tell which plan works the best. Has anyone else found this to be true? Thanks for the help!
CBates1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179/170/140

Height: 5'5

I've wondered about that too lol
There are some food that have no nutritional value that I think should never be touched like cookies or candy.
But I believe calorie counters allow themselves small amounts these things because they are really watching their intake.
I'm a low carber. I don't even look at sugar lol
ChubbyCheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

This is the Ideal Protein Forum. Are you on Ideal Protein?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBates1088 View Post
So I have been reading everyones posts and found that alot of different plans have been given... Some ppl are allowed certain things that others are not, and its hard to tell which plan works the best. Has anyone else found this to be true? Thanks for the help!
Seems that many people (and coaches??) deviate from the protocol sheets. I figure if I just follow the one for the phase I am on, it has all been worked out for me and I don't have to second guess anything. My coach follows the protocol sheet carefully too.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Seems that many people (and coaches??) deviate from the protocol sheets. I figure if I just follow the one for the phase I am on, it has all been worked out for me and I don't have to second guess anything. My coach follows the protocol sheet carefully too.

Pat
I have a protocol sheet but it appears different than other ones I have seen posted. So are there different protocol sheets floating around
wheekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #6  
**Christa**

S/C/G: 174/172/125

That was my question basically too I had recieved a different protocol sheet from my IP provider than what my mom was on... Since i really dont have a coach or anything I decided to go with what my mom did... she lost 48lbs... obviously something worked for her...
CBates1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #7  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Just posted this on the daily thought I would add it here.

This is from another IPer

Hi New Dieters

I know how hard dieting is and it isn't any easier when you have questions...I hope some of this helps you!

The reason there is such different information from coach to coach is that Ideal Protein is the diet...not the clinic. Each clinic is indepently owned and hires and trains their own staff. Each staff member/coach is trained in the Ideal Protein protocol....but most clinics are Wellness Centers and have staff that understand nutrition and that keeping someone focused and on the IP diet, or any other diet for that matter, is what is the best for the dieter. Rather than to be so strict that the dieter quits due to it being to hard to follow.

Adding in things like diet pop....the diet pop will not effect your weightloss (no calories-no carbs) BUT what it will do is not allow the absorbtion of your supplements. Any diet pop that contains phosphoric acid will play havoc on your body's bicarbonate buffering system...avoid the brown colored pop completely. If you chose to drink any other type of diet pop do so with the understanding that you have to match up equal amounts of water over your daily requirement!!!!!!

Crystal lights are ok to help you consume your water. There is no counter effect to the Ideal Protein protocol for having this.

The Ideal Protein diet is an Alkalined based program and that is why acid's are a no- no! The phosphoric acid is a problem not aspartame.

As for the questions about gum, mints, sugar free jello, chicken broth.... All of these are ok in small amounts. (If you have a piece of SF gum every once in a while it will have no effect on the program...but if you have 5 pieces every day it will....YOU are on a 20-25 carb only intake in phase 1 and all the sweetner packs count as 1 each, the gum counts as 1 each, the IP packs range from 1-to 17 each. Do the math, figure out your day to incorperate what you need but not to exceed the the 20-25 carb max per day!

Cheating only takes you out of the fat burning mode and it can take you up to 3 days to pick that back up....but if you plan to cheat understand your choice and proceed don't be shocked at your weight loss or lack of it, when ready, rededicate yourself and move on!

For all those who have lost a substancial amount of weight 20+ pounds, you must feel better ....this program has so many health benefits that weightloss is not the only thing to improve.

The cost of Ideal Protein...there seems to be a few other products in Canada but my coach explained that is because of IP needing FDA approval to add the other items to the US. The costs for IP are set by Ideal Protein and are comparable to the major low calorie pre packaged food diets. No clinic is allowed to under sell the products. What they can do is decide if they will sell in boxes and/or ind. packs and if they will sell more than the 21 packs need per week.
As for the readymades, I too found them cheaper online...but the readymades are not made by Ideal Protein. As for Lindora ...there products are good but not comparable- they have way more artifical ingredients and higher carbs...but again if you limit your intake to between 20-25 carbs per day they will work....you lose the added health benefits that come along with following the IP protocol as directed but that is a personal choice.

Ideal Protein works and it works fast...if you cheat or substitue other foods you yourself have lengthened the amount of time you are on the program and increased your costs! Be aware of your choices!

Remember this is only temporary you will move through the phases and be able to enjoy everything you miss in due time....Tip: I keep a journal of what I miss and when I am ready I will refer to my ongoing list and decide than if I still want it. (This is not to say I haven't put myself to bed in a bad mood because I wanted pizza)

Water- absolutly the key to moving out all the toxins your body has been holding on too! Drink-Drink-Drink

Salt- (not the white stuiff) You NEED the salt your diet has been stripped of all salt and your body will crave it(headaches,fatigue) Salt your salads, meat and veggies!!!!!!

I have seen so many questions and so many answers ....I have been on the protocol since November I have lost 30+pounds. I feel I can answer from experience and the fact I drive my coach nuts!
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #8  

Default health improvements on IDP

Thank you for an informative explanation of this diet. You expressed many of my thoughts, although some things I wasn’t sure if it was just what I thought or actual differences between centers. Over the last several years I have had some unusual autoimmune illnesses that I believed were related. I had open heart surgery to remove a myxoma, significant difficulties with rheumatoid arthritis, bone spurs, and finally serious ulcerative colitis last year that kept me out of work for almost 5 months, landed me in the hospital, and created a need for blood transfusions. I also had a nail fungus that lasted for several years and I could not get rid of it. Within days of starting this diet the arthritis in my knees and neck was remarkably improved (I had only lost a couple of pounds at that point. Not enough to impact my health), the nail fungus cleared COMPLETELY, never would have guessed that nail fungus was related to food, and although the colitis was no longer a real problem (it started after I quit smoking and became significantly better after I went back to smoking... pick your poison), that too completely went away. Within two weeks of going on the maintenance program the arthritis became more severe the colitis was becoming very active. I immediately went back to phase 1/ phase 2. I am thinking it is all related to the GMOs in our food, but I am afraid to go off the diet. I am now looking for paleo recipes, organic foods and will try to slowly add back organic grains and then organic milk. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed such significant medical differences. Lastly, I found the coaches at the office I went to had little knowledge of the diet. This office's coaches did not even realize that it was net carbs, not total carbs that were counted in the restricted foods, but that was only one of their shortcomings. After a while, I just went in to purchase my food and get the info I needed for each phase.
patriciasullivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #9  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Just posted this on the daily thought I would add it here.

This is from another IPer

Hi New Dieters

I know how hard dieting is and it isn't any easier when you have questions...I hope some of this helps you!

The reason there is such different information from coach to coach is that Ideal Protein is the diet...not the clinic. Each clinic is indepently owned and hires and trains their own staff. Each staff member/coach is trained in the Ideal Protein protocol....but most clinics are Wellness Centers and have staff that understand nutrition and that keeping someone focused and on the IP diet, or any other diet for that matter, is what is the best for the dieter. Rather than to be so strict that the dieter quits due to it being to hard to follow.

Adding in things like diet pop....the diet pop will not effect your weightloss (no calories-no carbs) BUT what it will do is not allow the absorbtion of your supplements. Any diet pop that contains phosphoric acid will play havoc on your body's bicarbonate buffering system...avoid the brown colored pop completely. If you chose to drink any other type of diet pop do so with the understanding that you have to match up equal amounts of water over your daily requirement!!!!!!

Crystal lights are ok to help you consume your water. There is no counter effect to the Ideal Protein protocol for having this.

The Ideal Protein diet is an Alkalined based program and that is why acid's are a no- no! The phosphoric acid is a problem not aspartame.

As for the questions about gum, mints, sugar free jello, chicken broth.... All of these are ok in small amounts. (If you have a piece of SF gum every once in a while it will have no effect on the program...but if you have 5 pieces every day it will....YOU are on a 20-25 carb only intake in phase 1 and all the sweetner packs count as 1 each, the gum counts as 1 each, the IP packs range from 1-to 17 each. Do the math, figure out your day to incorperate what you need but not to exceed the the 20-25 carb max per day!

Cheating only takes you out of the fat burning mode and it can take you up to 3 days to pick that back up....but if you plan to cheat understand your choice and proceed don't be shocked at your weight loss or lack of it, when ready, rededicate yourself and move on!

For all those who have lost a substancial amount of weight 20+ pounds, you must feel better ....this program has so many health benefits that weightloss is not the only thing to improve.

The cost of Ideal Protein...there seems to be a few other products in Canada but my coach explained that is because of IP needing FDA approval to add the other items to the US. The costs for IP are set by Ideal Protein and are comparable to the major low calorie pre packaged food diets. No clinic is allowed to under sell the products. What they can do is decide if they will sell in boxes and/or ind. packs and if they will sell more than the 21 packs need per week.
As for the readymades, I too found them cheaper online...but the readymades are not made by Ideal Protein. As for Lindora ...there products are good but not comparable- they have way more artifical ingredients and higher carbs...but again if you limit your intake to between 20-25 carbs per day they will work....you lose the added health benefits that come along with following the IP protocol as directed but that is a personal choice.

Ideal Protein works and it works fast...if you cheat or substitue other foods you yourself have lengthened the amount of time you are on the program and increased your costs! Be aware of your choices!

Remember this is only temporary you will move through the phases and be able to enjoy everything you miss in due time....Tip: I keep a journal of what I miss and when I am ready I will refer to my ongoing list and decide than if I still want it. (This is not to say I haven't put myself to bed in a bad mood because I wanted pizza)

Water- absolutly the key to moving out all the toxins your body has been holding on too! Drink-Drink-Drink

Salt- (not the white stuiff) You NEED the salt your diet has been stripped of all salt and your body will crave it(headaches,fatigue) Salt your salads, meat and veggies!!!!!!

I have seen so many questions and so many answers ....I have been on the protocol since November I have lost 30+pounds. I feel I can answer from experience and the fact I drive my coach nuts!
I've been OP for about 5.5 weeks and everything you've said is consistent with what I've been told and/or experienced except for this:

Quote:
YOU are on a 20-25 carb only intake in phase 1
I have consistently tracked my food intake using myfitnesspal.com and have been 100% OP and my carbs have *never* been that low since day one. In fact, they're typically more like double that amount. Thoughts?

ETA: Or perhaps this is quoting net carbs?

Last edited by bubbleblower; 01-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/217/170

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post

Adding in things like diet pop

As for the questions about gum, mints, sugar free jello, chicken broth...

Cheating only takes you out of the fat burning mode and it can take you up to 3 days to pick that back up.

As for the readymades, I too found them cheaper online...but the readymades are not made by Ideal Protein. As for Lindora ...

After a year on IP I have learned that My body has a LOT of issues. Many of my friends did a lot of deviations above plus some not listed. They all lost weight. Some of them lost freakishly fast even with less weight to lose and with all of their deviations. My weight loss is very slow even when perfect 100% no deviation.

If i add lindora products - I stall. If I add other low carb treats like atkins - I gain. If i add diet pop - I bloat and stall. If I eat too much fat like red meat or try to sneak in a piece of cheese - I won't lose anything that whole week. If i exercise or don't get enough sleep - I stall. If I eat too much Walden Farms products I stall.

My friends would literally cheat by eating cheese and sour cream and atkins candy bars and still lose 3-5 lbs a week. I would stall if I eat too many vegetables.

We all have different reasons we are overweight. Some of my friends quite frankly just eat way too much when they are not dieting. 3000 calories a day. So of course they drop weight like crazy when the do IP even half way.

I have a lot of hormonal/ medical problems causing 90% of my weight. So I have to be very strict for the weight to move.

My clinic didn't allow anything other than 100% of the protocol. I learned a lot of bad habits/little cheats from my friends and even from the forum here that cost me a lot of time in my weight loss journey the first time around.

If you can add in all these little extras and still lose weight - more power to ya! I'm happy for you. But i have to stick to just the basic packets, veg and lean meat for myself. All I'm saying is count the cost. If you add something extra and you notice a slow down maybe its not for you. Good luck!
Liddybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBates1088 View Post
If you check the stickies you'll find the latest IP protocol sheets. Not all clinics are using the latest. For the extras, you really need to be aware of your own body and whether or not you can tolerate them.
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
I've been OP for about 5.5 weeks and everything you've said is consistent with what I've been told and/or experienced except for this:

I have consistently tracked my food intake using myfitnesspal.com and have been 100% OP and my carbs have *never* been that low since day one. In fact, they're typically more like double that amount. Thoughts?

Myfitnesspal counts total carbs, not net carbs. I'm pretty sure the "20-25 daily carbs" allowed on phase 1 are net carbs. That's how I've always interpreted it and it makes sense to me, looking at vegetable carb counts, plus 3 unrestricted daily packets (or substitute 1 restricted) - it adds up quickly over 20-25 carbs/day.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #13  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Myfitnesspal counts total carbs, not net carbs. I'm pretty sure the "20-25 daily carbs" allowed on phase 1 are net carbs. That's how I've always interpreted it and it makes sense to me, looking at vegetable carb counts, plus 3 unrestricted daily packets (or substitute 1 restricted) - it adds up quickly over 20-25 carbs/day.
The range for daily net carbs is more like 20-40. A lot depends on the foods you choose but that's usually where it falls.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post

I track as well, and I'm usually at about 50 total carbs (not net) or so on MFP. Sometimes even higher. I do 4 packets a day because I exercise, so usually 25 -30 of those carbs are from packets.
LosingLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 192.2/182.1/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmommy2 View Post
If you check the stickies you'll find the latest IP protocol sheets. Not all clinics are using the latest. For the extras, you really need to be aware of your own body and whether or not you can tolerate them.
Where do I find "the stickies"?
rajuncajun is offline   Reply With Quote