Old 08-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: (C/G) 143.8/147

Height: 5' 3"

Question Exercise? How much do you do on Phase 1?

I'm curious how much exercise you do while on Phase 1 and continue to lose?

I hope you'll share if you are on the basic plan for Phase 1, or if you are eating extra packets of protein.

My coach discourages any jogging or using any weights. I've read posts by many of you who are toning while losing and not experiencing any sagging skin. Are you happy with your progress on the weight loss side of things?

I'm walking 4 miles a day (15-min miles) three or four times a week and not adding any additional protien packets. I'm curious what more I can safely do without jeapardizing losing.

Jo
JoLoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #2  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

For me...adding that additional packet is necessary. 4 miles, 4X week.....you might want to consider adding. Since there is no glucose in your system for your body to burn for energy, it will turn to protein to get what it needs. If you do not give it adequate protein, it will get it from your muscles......this is NOT what you want to happen.I would suggest you have some extra protein only on the days you walk and have it prior to the walk.....make it available for body's use. See how your body reacts....

I walk, practice yoga and resistance band work for toning. I was an avid exerciser prior to IP. I am almost at the halfway point and am seeing that toning is CRUCIAL for me. I have been a steady loser until this past week. I only lost 1/2 pound but lost quite a few inches exactly where it needed to disappear from......I attribute this to my focus on toning.
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

I also have a question about exercise. More specifically, is anyone doing Callanetics and IP at the same time? If so, what have your results been like?
Nads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLoMN View Post
I'm curious how much exercise you do while on Phase 1 and continue to lose?

I hope you'll share if you are on the basic plan for Phase 1, or if you are eating extra packets of protein.

My coach discourages any jogging or using any weights. I've read posts by many of you who are toning while losing and not experiencing any sagging skin. Are you happy with your progress on the weight loss side of things?

I'm walking 4 miles a day (15-min miles) three or four times a week and not adding any additional protien packets. I'm curious what more I can safely do without jeapardizing losing.

Jo
I walk for 45 min-hr about 5 days a week. I don't eat any extra packets. I wonder if i should be? I lose about 2 lbs a week
wheekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I have been exercising since day 1 on IP. I was consistantly working out prior to IP as well. I workout 5-6x per week, pretty intensly and I add an extra packet on any day I exercise, sometimes 2 if I find myself very hungry. I am very happy with my losses and feel that exercise has contributed to them, not hindered them. I also feel that the exercise has helped me lose inches and keep me toned and tight. I don't have any sagging skin that some people are saying they have.

My typical day looks like this:

9:00- IP packet
12:30- 6-8 oz. protein, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil
4:00- IP Restricted
5:30-6:30- Work out
6:30- IP RTD shake
8:30- IP packet, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil

This has been working very well for me. I would highly recommend having an extra packet on days you exercise. You could try it for a week and see how it goes.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #6  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads View Post
I also have a question about exercise. More specifically, is anyone doing Callanetics and IP at the same time? If so, what have your results been like?
I transferred to Callanetics during my previous time on IP and continued to lose every week. Before I was doing Zumba, Turbo Fire and walking. My loss stalled so I added an extra packet and started Walk Away the Pounds and Callanetics and it started back.

I plan to restart Monday.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/154/135

Height: 5ft 1

Default exercise

I have been wondering about exercise as well. I did not exercise before but I am in my 5th week now and I would like to start using my treadmill. Will this hurt my weight loss?
SVermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

Talking

Thank you Mizzthingaling. I own several Walk Away the Pounds workout DVDs. Do you do Callanetics one day and then Walk Away the Pounds the following day? I did Callanetics (10 in 10) consistently a few years ago, and go great results. Please let me know what your workout schedule looks like. Thank you!
Nads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #9  
Carrielee

S/C/G: 227/190/160

Height: 5'3"

so excercising can slow the weight loss?? I am starting tomorrow, and I am an avid excerciser.. my coach told me to maybe keep it to about a 30 min walk a day.. i would like to include some muscle work too.. liek crunches weights?? is this a bad idea?? I have a 70lbs to lose and IM 26, she said I should worry about loose skin because of my age??
Carrielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #10  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Yes Nads. M,W,F I did Callanetics and T and TH I did the one mile walk away the pound. Saturday was optional. You have less weight to lose than me so I would suggest you take one week and do a few workouts and see how your body responds.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

I am in week 6 and was surprised I had enough energy to do a strenuous hike yesterday. I think my body has adjusted to no carbs. What surprised me was how difficult it was to carry my 30 lb child up a steep hike. I naively assumed since I just lost (almost) 30 lbs it would be EASY to carry the 30 lb child. Not so much.
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmygrooveback View Post
For me...adding that additional packet is necessary. 4 miles, 4X week.....you might want to consider adding. Since there is no glucose in your system for your body to burn for energy, it will turn to protein to get what it needs. If you do not give it adequate protein, it will get it from your muscles......this is NOT what you want to happen.I would suggest you have some extra protein only on the days you walk and have it prior to the walk.....make it available for body's use. See how your body reacts....

I walk, practice yoga and resistance band work for toning. I was an avid exerciser prior to IP. I am almost at the halfway point and am seeing that toning is CRUCIAL for me. I have been a steady loser until this past week. I only lost 1/2 pound but lost quite a few inches exactly where it needed to disappear from......I attribute this to my focus on toning.
Thanks for the advice. I was feeling a bit light-headed after my 4 mile walk today, so I did have a RTD shake. I feel much better now and will feel free to add a shake in the future as long as my WIs continue to move down each week.

Jo
Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
I have been exercising since day 1 on IP. I was consistantly working out prior to IP as well. I workout 5-6x per week, pretty intensly and I add an extra packet on any day I exercise, sometimes 2 if I find myself very hungry. I am very happy with my losses and feel that exercise has contributed to them, not hindered them. I also feel that the exercise has helped me lose inches and keep me toned and tight. I don't have any sagging skin that some people are saying they have.

My typical day looks like this:

9:00- IP packet
12:30- 6-8 oz. protein, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil
4:00- IP Restricted
5:30-6:30- Work out
6:30- IP RTD shake
8:30- IP packet, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil

This has been working very well for me. I would highly recommend having an extra packet on days you exercise. You could try it for a week and see how it goes.
Thanks for the advice Jenny! I was not much of an exerciser before IP, so I feel really good about all the walking I've been doing. I will add a RTD shake when I feel like I need one. Hope I have similar to success to you. You are rocking it!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:21 AM   #14  
Fat melting NINJA:)

S/C/G: 141/130/115

Height: 5.2

Hi everyone,
I am also planning on getting back to the gym this week. My week 4 on phase 1 starts after my WI tomorrow. I plan on gng twice this week to lift (will not go heavy). Then 3x next week and den go back to my 4-5 day split. If my WI look funky, i will get back to doing nothing which is what iam doing currently (and hating it). Well dats the plan for now. Please advise. Thanks!!
Aria05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #15  

Exercise is great for toning but remember weight loss is done in the kitchen. It is about what you consume. So, in this phase, be more concerned about sticking to the plan like glue, rather than adding workouts.

P1 is way too low calorie for a strenuous workout.
Exercise that focuses on stretching and toning is a good idea after week 3 or 4 (make sure your body is comfortable in ketosis first). Walking at a slower pace (not power walking) can also be effective for P1.

More strenuous workouts can cause inflammation (that muscle soreness). Any inflammation is water weight so it shows up on the scale temporarily but it is NOT fat.

We all need to understand the difference between what the scale says and fat gain/loss. The scale doesn't only measure fat!

And if your gentler exercises still encourage muscle strength, know that a lb of muscle takes up much less room than a lb of fat. That is why people say muscle weighs more than fat. Per volume, it does. Which simply means that if we have more muscle than we used to, we should be more toned. BTW, muscle toning has no effect on skin. Your skin will either be resilient in springing back or it will hang. This has to do with a variety of factors, including age, amount of weight loss, and genetics.

For most of us, we can build strength and tone without a rigorous workout. Yoga works on both strength and flexibility. I do a TV show on PBS called Classical Stretch. If your PBS station doesn't have it, it can also be found at Essentrics.com. This program is also a combination of strength and flexibilty.

Anyone who cannot give up more strenuous workouts for P1 needs to consider a different plan, either the alternative IP plan for diabetics or perhaps P2 or a higher fat ketogenic diet.

Know, however that IP is designed for quick weight loss. Let is do it's job and add the strenuous stuff after goal.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote