Old 01-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #1  

Default Make Ahead Omelets

Hi ladies! DH and I started on SBD January 5th (we had to wait until after the Orange Bowl )Anyway, I wanted to let you know about a breakfast trick that has been working well for us. We both like omelets for breakfast, but we never have time to make them. So, I started making just the egg portion of the omelet - kind of a big egg pancake - and layering several of them with sheets of wax paper and storing in the fridge. Also, I prepare ingredients for the fillings. In the morning, all we have to do is put together the eggs with our desired fillings and pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds. Quick and easy weekday omelets. Thanks for reading.
~B
Brookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #2  
Empress/Queen

That's a fabulous idea! I need to try that. Thanks for posting.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #3  

that is a great idea!! How long does it last in the fridge?
chilichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #4  

I don't know exactly how long they will last in the fridge. I usually make enough to last 3-4 days and they do just fine. Let me know if you figure out that they will last longer than that. I've even thought about freezing some, but I don't know how well cooked eggs freeze. Any thougts?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Cooked omelets will get rubbery if frozen. I learned that the hard way back in 1960 when I froze egg salad sandwiches!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #6  

Thanks, Ruth! I'll just keep making them a few days at a time, then!
~B
Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/205/150

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
I don't know exactly how long they will last in the fridge. I usually make enough to last 3-4 days and they do just fine. Let me know if you figure out that they will last longer than that. I've even thought about freezing some, but I don't know how well cooked eggs freeze. Any thougts?
This seems like a great idea. Thanks for sharing I will have to try it. don't want them to be rubbery either. Yuck!
Scarlett435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #8  

I make my Omlett fillings in large batches. Then I portion out 1/3 cup portions and place into individual snack bags. I then put the snack bags into a larger freezer bags to avoid freezer burn. These last several months in freezer. In morning microwave 30-40 seconds while I cook the egg which only takes a couple of minutes.

Extra Note: I use snack bag technique for other things too. I buy roasted chicken cut up & weight out 3 oz. portions, put into bags, and ready to go for salads, etc. More economical & less processed than frozen chicken breast strips you buy in store.
Christinas Cantina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #9  

Hi! I'm new here and hope to get to know all of you and appreciate reading your ideas for now.

Christinas, there are some people who say cooking those omelets in the bags aren't a good idea. Supposedly, the plastic is not made for cooking and the heat can cause some chemicals to release that could be harmful over time.

i don't know if this is true and i don't mean to come across as a food ****. There are differing opinions about many food related issues, so do what you think is right but just thought i'd make people aware if they are not.

The wax paper idea is great. Cheaper than baggies,too.
linjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #10  

sorry about the word i used. it wasn't a nasty one, lol..just loaded in some situations, i guess. Wow, my first post and i get bleeped!
linjha is offline   Reply With Quote