Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #1  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Default Sick of buying new clothes!

My husband thinks I'm crazy...that this should be fun. And it was at first, but my lower half keeps radically changing every month.

We have moved so many times in my 6 years of being heavy, that I eventually just donated all of my smaller clothes. I don't want to keep spending money on this stuff. It's lasting like 4-6 weeks!

I've tried Thrift stores and apparently everyone else is going there, too, b/c they have no shorts. Wal-Mart has keep in-betweens, but I just got home from scouring the racks and everyone in my town must be my current size. LOL

UGH!!! Just a vent. I AM happy about losing, but I just want to get things I really LIKE and can KEEP!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220.2/211.4/130

Height: 5'3"

I know what you mean - I am in the process of moving, and have just donated some nice clothes to the charity shop because I refuse to stay this size any more. On the other hand, I wonder why I hold on to clothes that fit me when I was 40 lbs lighter. Hope is a wonderful thing, but I would need much less closet space, and many fewer clothes, if I would just get to my "correct" size and stay there!
haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #3  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, understandable. I'm avoiding buying unless I have to, because I don't want to buy "temporary" clothes.

I guess I'd just buy as few items as possible?
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I try to find things at thrift stores but it's really difficult to sift through the over crowded racks to find your size. It's worse now that I'm out of plus sizes. That selection was always small, so it was easy enough to go through, but now there are like 4 PACKED racks of 0s-14s and with nothing having size tags on the outside of the pant, you could spend over an hour just trying to save a few bucks! Who has time and the patience for that?
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #5  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

I hear that! It's so annoying to have to buy new clothes all the time. I just buy a few bottoms at a time--this summer, I always have a handful of shirts, a pair of jeans, a couple skirts and a pair or two of shorts that fit me at a time. I mostly wear dresses, partly because they can fit for longer and depending on style, you can always add a belt
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Omg, I am LOVING buying new clothes! I did only get to wear one pair of pants a few times before they became too big to stay up when I ran, but I think I should be able to wear them for quite a while with a belt. I don't buy a full wardrobe or anywhere near it for every size. So far I got 4 pairs of XL underwear, 2 pairs of XL exercise pants, a pair of capris in 18, and a pair of capris in 16 and two 2X tops. I have also sewn myself a couple of skirts.

But I'm still able to wear just about everything I wore 35 pounds ago and most of it looks better on me now. I have one pair of pants and one top that are too ridiculous to wear, but everything else is fine and I think it will be for a while. One really exciting thing was that I was looking for an old pair of jeans from years ago, thought I knew exactly where they were, but it turned out to be a couple of pairs that DH had packed away, and they fit me perfectly! Anyway, most of my wardrobe is 3X even though I am technically about a size 14 now, but I love it that my clothes drape so nicely on me now.

Last edited by rubidoux; 08-03-2011 at 11:10 PM.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Buy a good quality belt! =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #8  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Hit the clearance racks. They are my friend
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Buy a good quality belt! =)
Belts don't cut it. It doesn't help with the hanging crotch. Geez I hate that!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #10  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

yoga pants
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
It's not perfect, but I got from size 24 - 18 the first time around with a belt.

I just kept pulling the pants higher and cinching them tighter

However, thinking on it, people should probably refrain from taking fashion advice from me
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #12  
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Height: 5'7"

My shirts just seem to fit better. My pants are getting big though! I am holding off buying new ones for as long as possible.
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #13  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
This is so true and made me giggle. The hanging crotch on clothes has always been my problem. Until a few years ago when a friend of mine basically did a makeover on me and got me to measure the rise of pants when buying. I hate trying stuff on at the store. I guess I am short from the belly button to the crotch, so when losing, my pants looked ridiculous. Like I was smuggling a ham down there. LOL
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I had the opposite problem, when I was gaining, all of my clothes started to gradually get too tight! I caved and bought a few larger sizes but I absolutely refused to buy more than a couple items (mostly pants). It left me with a work-pants rotation of just 2! Thankfully, I kept all my "skinny" clothes; I had the confidence I'd be wearing them again someday! It's nice to be losing finally and be able to "closet shop".

Do you have any close friends who are similar sizes that would let you borrow from them as you change shape? Or, since it's summer, cute dresses are in season and they tend to fit a larger span of sizes. Just some ideas!
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 236/198/130

I agree about the yoga pants, they'll stick with you for a while. Buying other clothing in this kind of material might last you a bit longer than with other kinds material.

People sell clothing in lots on Ebay by size. For example, a woman might have a size 16 clothing lot that includes 3 shirts, 2 pants, 1 sweater, etc. You can get a whole wardrobe at once, and on the cheap!
redbutton is offline   Reply With Quote