Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 12:27 PM   #1  

Question What am I doing wrong?

I've been reading the messages for some time and finally decided to jump in and ask a question.

I have finally managed to get in the habit of exercising and I can actually say I'm addicted to it. I joined a gym and have been going five days a week for the last 6 weeks. I do circuit weight training on MWF with about a 10 minute warmup on a treadmill and bike or treadmill for 35 minutes on T and Th. I weigh about 219. I haven't lost anything!! I am truly getting frustrated. I don't think I've lost any inches because my clothes feel the same. I'm trying to drink the requisite 8 glasses of water (but don't always make it). I'm trying not to snack at night in front of the TV (my worst problem)and I'm trying to eat healthier. What am I doing wrong? Help!
Old 06-15-2003, 01:29 PM   #2  

First off, you may be intaking more of something than you should, ie, sugar or fat even though you are possibly eating less. It is hard to say without knowing what you are eating exactly.

Secondly, with the weight training you are most assuredly building muscle and you may be trading muscle for fat with no change yet on the scales.

Thirdly, I don't know how long you have been at this, but losing weight takes time and every person is different!

Please hang in there. Continue on your exercise road, if you really want to know what you should be eating, go to www.dietician.com and she has a calorie calculator. Answer the questions and it will tell you how much cal or fat to take in for a certain amount of loss per week.

Good luck!

Faye
Old 06-16-2003, 12:17 PM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

depending on how much fat you have to lose you will not see terrific changes with size. that take much longer to show. what to look for is things like is your but less flat and more Perky??

are you feeling the muscles thoruuhg your fat??? when doing BFL i did not see (and most people ) any changes till after 6 weeks then BAM!!! hang in there it will come do not let it deflate you as you know you are enjoying it. so just rally in the feeling and forget the scale suddenly it will drop!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #4  
Dancing those pounds away

I have to agree with Faye.
Changing fat into muscle weight.
The water is very important. IF you don't give your body plenty of water especially while exercising... it will hang on to every ounce of water instead of using it to flush the fat out.

INCREASE your water intake.
Increase your veggies and decrease your carbs.
Avoid anything made with white sugar and white flour.

You are doiing GREAT in the exercise... don't give up... the weight will come off. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:28 PM   #5  

I would try keeping a food diary so you can see exactly what you are taking in. I've had times when I was running 5 miles 4x a week and didn't lose (over 6-8 weeks) because I was eating too much.

And also, as others have said, it DOES take time! (I have been at this almost 3 years)

All the best --

Lidian (178/142.5/???)
Old 06-16-2003, 01:36 PM   #6  

I just wanted to thank everyone for the support and giving me some suggestions on what I can do. Even though I really hate the idea of really watching what I eat, I guess it's what I really need to do.

I've tried doing a food diary in the past. I am going to give that a try again since I know I eat things, a few Hershey kisses here, a few chips there and I don't really think about it and how it might affect me. I hope by keeping a food diary that it will keep me on track.

Thanks!
Closed Thread