Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #1  
Teen Member

S/C/G: SW- 145. CW- 145. GW- 125.

Height: 5'5

Default Is it possible that I can lose 10 pounds in one month, healthy as possible?

I'm really looking to try to aim for 10 pounds in one month. Can I do this? I'd love to fit into my pants well before school starts & feel better about myself. Anyone ever do this? Thanks!
125byOctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to 3fc!!

When I was really heavy (about 300 pounds) I did lose 10 pounds or more in a month. But that was a much smaller percent of my overall body weight.

You seem to be just about within the "normal" weight range for your height, and I think losing 10 pounds of fat in a month would be nigh impossible. You just don't have that much to lose.

You might want to consider weight training -- it's a great way to make ourselves look smaller.

I would really encourage you to check out our Featherweights forum here at 3fc. There you will find lots of people in a similar situation as you!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Hm... My first month dieting/exercising (sporadically) I lost 8.4 pounds, but I could have done better with exercise and with a few food choices. That being said, I'm not sure how easy it would be for you because you're already in a healthy weight range. (Not saying you shouldn't do it, just that it's easier to take off pounds when you're "obese" than when you're really already in a good position. Kind of like some members on 3FC who talk about having trouble with the last few "vanity pounds.)

If nothing else, exercising on a regular basis will tone your body, and you could fit into your pants without losing a pound. It's worth a try! I've been exercising about 4 days a week doing cardio and weight training, and I've noticed amazing results in toning up my body. I'm about to start a challenge for August of exercising every day because I really miss doing it (and because my husband is buying me new Gap jeans if I do it! lol).

Also, you'll lose a lot of water weight in the beginning (drinking lots of water is important). I lost 6 pounds my first week dieting/exercising this time around, and I kept it off. So, if you're body isn't used to dieting/exercise, this might happen for you too. (What plan are you going to use for diet? I'm a calorie counter and love it.)

If you don't make your goal, don't beat yourself up. This is a process and losing weight on a short time frame is harder than losing with no deadline (or a far-off deadline) in sight. Good luck!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Not likely, I have been on a very strict diet for a month (no cheating) and I have been doing moderate exercise (walking) and I am much heavier than you and I only lost 11 lbs. I believe the other posters are correct, just firm up with some fun exercise program, like Zumba
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #5  
Teen Member

S/C/G: SW- 145. CW- 145. GW- 125.

Ahhh, 11 pounds is good for me for now! LOL! & thanks, I'll check out strength training. Definitely do not wanna bulk up though. I just moved so I'm gonna need to get some more weights too. I never noticed the featherweight forum, will check it out. Thank you guys soo much for responding!
125byOctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Just FYI, it is very, very difficult for women to bulk up. Look at what Hillary Swank had to do to bulk up to be in "Million Dollar Baby":http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1010852,00.html

There are many more articles on this...
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #7  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I have about the same stats as you and one of the quickest ways I've lost recently is doing Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30 DVD. They are KILLER workouts and it comes with a meal plan. I followed both very closely for a month (and added in some additional cardio) and lost about 7 lbs- and I usually lose a lot slower than that! Plus, I was super strong by the end of that month! Might be something to check out .
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

At your height and weight, no, you will not lose 10lbs of fat - extreme methods and you may lose 10lbs of fat/muscle along with other nasty side effects. You are just too small for that kind of loss (great!).

PS I have been a weightlifter for 8 years and still can't bulk up. If you can do, in a few months, what I have been trying to do at your size for 8 years, then I will give you 1,000,000$
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #9  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Yep- you have so little to use, I don't think 10lbs will come off in a month.

The good news? The smaller you are, the more small losses show physically, as they are a greater percentage of weight lost . Some ladies here who are close to goal report going down a size after losing just 5-6 lbs! Which should be a nice healthy target for a month...all the best to you! I wish I only had 20lbs to lose!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #10  

I am a bit heavier than you are, but I dropped 8 pounds in 3 weeks with South Beach Phase 1. Actually, I don't think it was even 3 weeks, maybe 2. I was able to fit into clothes I hadn't worn for a while. I gained the weight back though, due to a family emergency taking priority.
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #11  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I think it's possible (I lost 15 lbs my first month), but not likely for someone who is within a healthy weight range already.

However, in addition to training, I think you would notice a difference in your waist/how pants fit in a month if you eliminated sugar and white bread, potatoes, etc.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #12  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Give it a shot--you'll only find out by trying!

Spanky
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

I think that if you really try you could. However I am a firm believer that on this journey it needs to be a lifestyle change rather than being caught up in the numbers. I have lost my first 10 pounds and it wasn't always easy.
wagfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

This is absolutely possible; I once lost 25 lbs in a month and I was near your height and weight at the time. Went from 133-108 (I am very small-boned; my doc thought this was fine). It was exceptionally healthy -- chicken, fish and egg whites (an occasional yolk) for protein with cooking spray, all the veggies I wanted, a little fruit here and there. I usually switched dinner for breakfast, eating the larger meal in the morning and not eating past a certain hour like 4 pm. This actually worked out well as I worked in the evening. Watch the fruit, its calories add up. No alcohol, no chocolate, nothing that doesn't pack a wallop in nutrition -- so no ice cream, bread, rice, legumes, cheese, chocolate, or most desserts. Use lemon or vinegar or fat-free mayo as dressings, or look for pasta sauces under 35 cals 1/2 cup for steamed veg. (Whole Foods) If you stuff yourself with veggies and then count the calories -- when you can't eat another bite -- you will be amazed at how low the calorie count is. This is a fairly balanced diet as many vegs pack in carbs, you can find it at salad bars and basic diners/restaurants, and it's quite healthy. Of course weight maintenance is about lifestyle change, but a few weeks of eating clean and healthy like this can reprogram you to gravitate towards these healthier choices. What is not healthy is eating 800 calories a day of small amounts of pizza, sliders and ice cream! You can do it, good luck.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #15  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If you only have 20 lbs total to lose I don't see you doing that in faster than four months if you want to do it HEALTHY.

Women don't bulk up- we lack the testosterone men have to do that. Those women bodybuilders you see definitely are taking something to enhance their muscle growth.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote