Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #241  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Saturday am

My holiday without the kids is coming to a close. My daughter will be home tomorrow night. I really wish I could have more time alone--and I am ready for them to come home.

I homeschool my son, so I spent yesterday getting ready for next year. Have to do more of that today--essentially, I need to go through a two day video conference on teaching literature according to the Socratic method. Also reading Mortimer Adler on "How to Read a Book." So far, it is a delight.

Skipped exercise yesterday. That's two days. That means today I must, no excuses. Yesterday, I went "off plan" for a chocolate bar and, later, a skinny cow ice-cream bar (100 calories). Then, I had some raspberries. The raspberries did not taste as sweet as they had the day before. I actually felt as if I'd lost something, if that makes any sense. How quickly our tastebuds "adapt" to super sweet industrial food! I really would rather taste my raspberries.

Maryanne--good luck with your protagonist. May he take just enough pages to find his comfort--or not.

I've found that having my food plan is overwhelmingly helpful for eating up the veggies and fruit before they go bad. We had a left-over night Thursday and it was fun, actually.

pamatga--hooray for interval training of the moving furniture kind. I'm building a collage of objects--painting, drawings, plates, etc. over my couch--not a lot of moving!

onebyone--oh, I hope you make some sales from your show--and if not sales, then contacts for later sales! I can picture you in that heat and humidity-- Can you go for a swim?

BIllBlueEyes--gazpacho sounds good--especially on a hot day. Hope the painting went well. I need to persuade dh to get up on the tall ladder tomorrow and paint some window trim on the house. There's just one window left to do on the south facade.

Lexxiss-congrats on the mall waliing. I find the floors in a mall very unforgiving to my knees and back. It's excruciating to walk for any length of time in a mall--and the food is far too tempting! I avoid them as much as I can.

lukesmom--Hi! What Beck strategy do you find you rely upon the most?

I'll check in later if I can. Have a great day/evening all!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:59 AM   #242  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Finished an onerous chore, CREDIT moi, that involved scrubbing with TSP - a vicious product that cleans anything. The parts of a house that aren't visible collect unspeakable grime over thirty years.

Exercise was walking (CREDIT moi) to dinner at a Thai place where I had a yummy pork and snow peas dish and left some brown rice on my plate. CREDIT moi for getting better at leaving food at a restaurant - a particularly challenging task for me.

onebyone - Hoping that sales happened. Ouch for the pizza business. The only way that makes stopping easy for me is to put the portion to be saved in the fridge before I start. Extra food sitting in front of me is always difficult.

maryann - Yay for an easy food plan - may all your days be such. My take is that your character does the vodka to support his delusion that he is a special noble person for resisting the advances of his students - confusing their giggles at his bumbling persona for affection. He keeps his job only because he maintains an extraordinary ability to bring out his students to writing fiction.

His life has drifted into delusions that become increasingly difficult to support without the assistance of vodka. His marriage hasn't recently improved due to his vodka-fueled charms, as he believes, based on the evidence that his wife no longer nags him. She no longer nags him because she's discovered that she loves being alone - wonders why she ever married or had kids. Nor does the dean have a crush on him but he bakes brownies for the faculty lounge with perfect walnut halves - never a broken piece. All the teachers know they are Alice B. Toklis brownies; that's never mentioned - all discussion is about the perfect walnut halves, how much they'd all miss that.

pamatga - Kudos for completing your eight week goal for physical therapy on your knee, as well as Kudos for rearranging your physical world so that workouts are more convenient. Yep, testosterone supports whining about chores, LOL.

Alana in Canada - I do know that conflict - ready for them to come home while still wishing for the private time. I absolutely loved Mortimer Adler, How to Read a Book. Wish I had read it before college.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
Study after study bears out the importance of these habits:
. . . . .. . .
  • Research on thousands of Japanese office workers showed that fast eaters ate more calories than slow eaters, tended to gain more weight, and were more likely to have insulin resistance (a precursor to diabetes).

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 61.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #243  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool Sunday Morning

Hello Coaches

I'm on DH's machine as m,y little netbook has been OWNED by some stupid malware crud. It won't let me log into Firefox or even internet explorer. it just (foolish thing) wants me to run a clean up program. Hello? Soon you will be whisked out of my cpu innards by a giant hand you, you malevolent worm you.

But never mind that. I am here.

I painted my painting on site yesterday. I do another today. Really not sure what to paint today. I may try to find an astronaut for myself to do. It doesn't matter what I paint as nothing is selling anyway so I may as well please myself.

I am making connections by the boatload. My life-long luck with meeting the right people at the right time continues. I was invited to be a guest artist on a studio tour the weekend before my local studio tour. There are three other artists here and they are a solid team, very actively trying to promote art in the community. This is good. I was introduced to the farmer's market manager who never even answered my email. She now says she will make sure I am accepted at the market and I can start in September. SO I'll be there Sept/Oct and then, I am sure, they have a xmas market as well so that was lucky for me as well.

Food was erratic. I started with a good breakfast, oh yes, I had a real lunch but dinnertime just fell apart.

And yes it was very hot and humid out there. More than one person was worried about how red I was but I turn red at the drop of a hat. It's this Northern Climes heritage of mine. I don't tan, I burn, and I go red fast!

Anyway, one more day. And then it's over.

*credit for weigh-in today (-0.7) = 282.2lbs

Bye for now.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #244  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm running a tad late this morning, but wanted to check in. Emotions are heating up here as we prepare to travel tomorrow morning to p/u my sis. Once she shows, my mom ignores us, especially DH, and he's more than a bit agitated. I found myself running towards the diving board more than ready to take a big dive into the realm of unplanned and purposely uncontrolled eating....seeking big time comfort.
Credit for using my Beck skills to stop the destructive sabotaging thought process and return to sane thinking. Instead of heading out for some sort of private eating experience, I made a plan.
I could prepare something enjoyable, yet healthy.
I went to the store for:
~our favorite tortillas
~a can of organic pinto beans
~a nice blend of cheeses
~our NSA Vanilla ice cream
I stopped at our fav Mexican restaurant for the best homemade salsa.
Dinner was healthy quesadillas and I went very light on the cheese.
Dessert was NSA VIC with fresh raspberries.
CREDIT CREDIT CREDIT

Back later for personals. I'm very grateful today for averting a binge with a healthy option. My body thanks me, too.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #245  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Sunday am

Good morning coaches!

I had a nice walk with my husband and the dog last night. We left it a bit late--so, when the hound allowed, we were brisk so we could outpace the skeeters.

The scale rewarded me with an overall 1/2 lb loss since last week. It's so weird. The scale had been above 247 all week--today it takes a dive to 246.2. I'll take it--but I don't deserve it. I had thought os jumping in the car and going in search of potato chips last night--it was awful.

I didn't feel like cooking, so we went to a lovely upscale deli/supermarket here and got greek salad, chicken breasts and a lovely lamb and vegetable pie for today. It was very, very expensive, though. Much more expensive than out stanby of store-brand frozen "gourmet" pizza. I need to come up with better "no cook" options.

We eat at home every single night of the week. Usually, once a week I'm fed up with cooking--so we pick up something from the grocery store and bring it home. There's always a hot rotisserie chicken--but I get pretty fed up with Chicken, too.

Lexxiss--I am so proud of you for handling the food separately from the issue with your Mom. Family can be so difficult, unfortunately. I'm so sorry.

Onebyone--hooray for connections! Let's hope today is a better day for selling things. Be good to yourself.

Billblueeyes--you eat the yummiest sounding food! I love TSP--even though it is horrid to the environment.

All the best, my fellow beckies. Have a great day!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #246  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Another sane food day! I used my Beck skills after church saying No CHOICE to any snack but watermelon..worked through a sane lunch then gave a big stare at the spatula after spooning my moms BD cake into the pan. After a long gaze...it went in the sink with the pan. *credit* Exercise at the pool, included my friend evaluating my guided meditation....all in all good...just a couple of tweaks needed. *credit* for taking on this new challenge. Travel big time tomorrow...all the way to Denver Intl. Lunch will be at Whole Foods (easy) then a healthy BD dinner...even the cake is pretty decent.

BillBlueEyes, yay for finishing that TSP project...I've never encountered it...sounds nasty. Credit for getting better at leaving food at the restaurant, especially since you find that task particularly challenging.

onebyone, great that you made a bunch of new connections...sometimes better than an actual sale. I liked BBE's suggestion reizza, etc. I have put that in my to go box. It seems very wise...do you have any other ideas? I put take out pizza on my NO CHOICE list and stopped cold turkey. It forced me to come up with a healthier option. For me, it came down to a gut level knowledge that I would not lose weight as long as I continued to eat certain things. (I can eat this or be thinner but I can't have both)

Pam(atga), love that "vanity to sanity"! Thx! I add congrats to your completing your 8 wk program! Great that you're rearranging! We did that, too!

maryann, we waste very little, too. Yay for a weekend plan and the start of a plot…

Alana(inCanada), regarding your WL this week, contrary to your opinion of not deserving it...give yourself credit! You lost 1/2 a pound...you must have done something to facilitate that!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #247  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Evening Diet Coaches,
Sauteeing zucchini and waiting for my baked ziti (pantry and freezer challenge) to come out of oven. I am really making a dent in things.
OP today and I feel terrific about my food. The one habit I will try and break this very moment is eating standing up. GRRRRRR. I still am doing it.

BBE: You are killing me with the main character- very creative, very Russian in his isolation illusion mixed in with a little 60's psychodelic mayhem. Hmmmm. You need to apply to Goddard. PSThe principal is actually Bush believer and in the end documents him out. I wanted this short to become a full fledged mystery but my advisor wants me to keeo to short for now.
Alana: Totally understand you desire for alone and your desire for kid.
Makes perfect sense.
Lexxiss: Love the diving board analogy. Boy do I know that feeling "Poised to dive in a vat of melted Rees's peanut butter cups. Credit for seeing the danger.
onebyone: Always a good idea to " art for your own fulfillment."
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #248  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

I was reading another book about dieting strategies, and came away with an idea I played with today. It suggested that since much of what we do is left brain (calculating things, planning things), that sometimes it is a good idea to focus on more right brain aspects of healthier living.

My favorite activity of this kind is trying on clothes, and reviewing pictures of my weight loss journey. I inserted a few pictures into my spreadsheet that holds my data, and planned a time to try on clothes. Sometimes I try on my own, and sometimes I go to a department store and just try stuff, not really planning to buy.

Has anyone else got ideas that exercise the creative/visual part of the brain in this journey of healthy living?

Woodland
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #249  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

That's interesting, Woodland. I have wondered if I'm the only one that spends a half hour trying on clothes every once in a while. I NEVER did that before losing. But now it's kinda fun. I guess part of it is just trying to retrain my brain to see how big I really am now.

Do you knit or sew? I do both, and if you don't do either but you'd like to experiment a bit, I'd suggest sewing just because you can see your results so much faster (creating a garment in, say, a day or two, as compared to a month or several months for knitting). So far I have done a little sewing to accommodate my weight loss, but I have done a ton of drooling over patterns, looking for inspiration online, and picking out fabrics. At this point in my journey, I actually like my fat clothes quite a lot. I tend to go for big drapey things no matter what my size. So, I'm actually contemplating making a whole 'nother round of clothing in the same size for my new smaller self -- but with smaller waist elastic, etc. At any rate, though, it is a really fun endeavor while losing weight! I used to just feel depressed about sewing for myself, but now I'm so excited about it!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #250  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the August 2011 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck...ddy-coach.html

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread