Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/135

Height: 5' 5"

Question Knee issues anyone?

Hi All,
I am pretty new here, so feel free to direct me to another thread if this has been discussed before!
Wondering if anyone here suffers with knee issues; dislocations, patella fractures, bone bruising, etc.?
What do you do for exercise? For those who have successfully lost some weight, have your knee problems gotten any better with the loss?
TIA, I'm finding such great support, information and inspiration from this site!
seizetheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

About three years ago I snapped one of my cruciate ligaments, tore a medial ligament and shredded up the cartilage in my left knee in a trampolining accident. Ive had two operations, in the last they took some of my hamstring and used it to rebuild my missing cruciate ligament.

I still try and exercise as a person with healthy knees would though, my docs told me to do what I want and not let it get in my way! I do find that I absolutely cannot do lunges without a stabbing pain in my knee though

Swimming is probably one of the best exercises you can do, not only does the water support your joint, but it's also very low impact. And strengthening your leg muscles will help support your knee much more

Definitely check with your doctor or physio before though to check you're safe! Good luck, and welcome

Last edited by Leaves; 07-31-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have arthritis and fibromyalgia. My knees, ankles, and feet give me a lot of problems, and I'm also prone to plantar's fasciitis, bursitis and tendonitis.

Losing weight has helped, as well as making sure that when I do exercise, it's low-impact.

I love swimming and water exercise the best, with walking a distant second (and on rare occasions I bicycle).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #4  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

My knees were giving me fits for several months leading up to my diabetes diagnosis and lifestyle changes. Knees hurt worse going downstairs, but I was surely slow climbing the staircase too. I've seen 90 year olds moving about better than I was.

Since going very low carb, absolutely no knee pain, and my ankle swelling has disappeared too. While I've lost 17 lbs, I'm convinced the absence of knee pain and ankle swelling is due to detox from carbs. What a difference!

Swimming is an excellent method for fitness when joint pain is an issue.
-----------------------------------------------
Bread/Potato/Pasta/Pizza free since June 1, 2011
Floriduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

My "bad" knee is the one that I tore the ACL in, the "good" knee is the one that developed chondromalacia while the ortho kept telling me the bad knee was fine. I walked around on a torn ACL for a year before I got it fixed, and 7 years after surgery, the good knee still hurts. But, it got a better about 20 pounds into my weight loss.

Stairs, jumping, and lots of standing are painful; swimming and yoga are good (although I need to use 2 yoga mats so I can kneel)

I admit I completely took my knees for granted until I blew mine out - I had no idea how miserable your knees can make you.

I'm really looking forward to see how my knees feel as I lose more weight.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #6  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I have a bad left knee. I hurt it on a five-mile walk five years ago, and never got a diagnosis as to what happened to it. I detest doctors. -___- Anyway, it did heal up a lot, because for the first few years, it hurt to be on my feet too long. Now I feel like it's getting worse again, as it hurts to sit too long in the same position (like at a movie theater), and it hurts when it rains.

I used to like running on the treadmill, but with my knee the way it is, and not knowing what's wrong with it, I'm afraid of hurting it. When I get back to school (and to the free gym!), I may try an elliptical or something. I don't know, I think that's lower impact. Or maybe the gazelle. I dunno.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

YES, and yes ... two bad knees here; one used to dislocate badly; is much better now, but I found losing weight (had to have helped) and using canes made a huge difference for me. Cutting down salt helped bring swelling down noticeably, as well as BP too.

I do hand weights, lots of toning exercises, chair exercises; some walking (as much as I can do, but I rest in between short spurts); and I put my legs up twice a day minimum 1 hour each time. I try to watch where I walk (flat surfaces only).

If & when either of my knees hurt now; I take it easy for a few days. My right knee use to jam with sharp pain, then numb out on me and I would fall -- now it occasionally, get a tingly sensation that goes away and that's all. I have jammed it a few times though; gotta watch that, but no more falling lately == yahoo!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-01-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/135

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for the responses everyone, sorry to hear you have all gone through lots of pain!

That is very interesting about the salt and carb detox possibly helping. I'm still pretty fresh from my last injury(feb) so I don't know how much improvement to expect right now. I can relate to the pain of stairs, lunges, etc, in fact this time my doc told me never to try to go past 90 degrees, which I can't get to yet(bearing weight)

I'm biking, which is what my PT said would be best for me(but it's sooo boring). I was able to get back on my elliptical this week, so I'm alternating that with the bike. I would love to do some swimming, just not practical for me everyday right now, also I am terrified to fall/slip again! My Dr. told me to avoid a fall at all costs. Considering I couldn't walk a few months ago, I know I'm doing well and so far have avoided a 4th surgery. It's been really tough this time because my right knee was my better(just 1 surgery, less dislocations) knee.

I've got to get better at lifting some weights, been bad about that since stopping PT.
If anyone else has ideas for getting in shape and losing with bad knees keep them coming!
Would love to hear more success stories about knees getting some better with weight loss too.
seizetheday is offline   Reply With Quote