Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Unhappy Leg cramping! From too much exercise? Not enough? Something else?! :(

I think this thread kinda works here...

Anyways, I get reeeeeally bad leg cramps at night (while sleeping, also referred to as nocturnal leg cramping) at least once a week, and it probably happens 2-3 times that same night. I've looked this up and I know one of the most common causes is dehydration and/or calcium deficiency and/or potassium deficiency. None of these seem to be my problem (if I drank anymore water I would be getting up every 2 hours to pee, which would be just as annoying, hehe). I've also heard that excessive exercising can cause them... but I've also heard that using a stationary bike can help stretch and strengthen the muscles to prevent the cramping.

So, I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced nocturnal leg cramping and if so were you able to get rid of them? What was causing them? What do you do when you get them at night? Does the pain last (mine feel like I've pulled a muscle for at least 48 hours afterwards... and by the time the pain subsides I have them again, which makes it hard to work out sometimes)?

I'm getting kind of frustrated because they wake me up and I normally can't get back to sleep so I may only get 2-4 hours of sleep some nights. Oh, and I should add, I am only 21. I've read that leg cramping is more common in people over 50, so I can't figure out why I get them so often

Thank you for your help!

E

Last edited by EricAnn; 07-30-2011 at 04:58 AM.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #2  

I crave a banana every day, and if I don't eat one, I get leg cramps at night. I think I must need the potassium in them!

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #3  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Have you looked into Restless Leg syndrome? It's always a good idea to talk to a doc especially if it interferes with your life. I only had horrid leg cramps when I was growing as a child. Now, I still get em occasionally and seeing how I don't have insurance I prescribe Aleve to myself a lot lol.

I wish you luck, and try to see someone or check out meds for restless leg stuff. That doesn't sound fun at all!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Also, you may want to research taking a calcium-magnesium supplement at night. I take Natural Calm, and it helps with my restless legs and helps me sleep. My husband takes it for cramping after strenuous house projects and the like. It can have a laxative effect if you take to much. I started with one teaspoon and now take about 2 heaping teaspoons every night.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Bananas are great they contain Potassium (K) and you have to make sure you are taking CaMg and vitamin D. Drink plenty of H2O and Propel (has electrolytes). Another (old Indian remedy that has worked for several of my friends who were cramping during their chemo) is Tonic Water, it contains quinine. Don't get the sugar-free version. Men & woman alike have thanked me for the Tonic suggestion, it works wonderfully.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #6  

Thank you all for the ideas!

I don't believe that I'm deficient in any vitamins and/or minerals though. I take a multivitamin everyday, eat A LOT of fruits and veggies and go for regular blood testing (due to a stomach condition) and I'm not deficient in anything... according to my doctor.

ButterCup85: I don't know that I would have RLS because I don't suffer from any of the other symptoms. But I have an appointment with my doctor in a couple weeks so I will mention it.

walking2lose: I'll see if I can find something like that, sounds like it may work. Thanks!

Bellamack: Perhaps having a Gatorade/Powerade/Propel type drink would be a good idea for the electrolytes though and I'll try the Tonic Water. This worries me a bit, haha, but I suppose that's just in large doses http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a682322.html.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've heard two things about night time charliehorses- try b vitamins (eating a banana) or drinking extra water.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #8  

Almonds help also. Try eating 10 almonds a day.
I eat a banana almost every day...and 3 glasses of whole milk. The whole milk prevents muscle spasms.

If you ever get acid indigestion, then eat 4 almonds. They eliminate acid indigestion and work a lot faster than Tums.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I've also heard upping the sodium a bit (don't go crazy, though) can help with this.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #10  

Thank you!

I'm going to try adding a banana into my daily routine, I was trying not to eat them as much simply because of their high calorie content, but it's worth it if it stops the cramping.

Does anyone think it could have anything to do with the amount or types of exercise though?

Last edited by EricAnn; 08-01-2011 at 04:53 AM.