Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Angry Can we take one more rant?

Hi, everyone. First - a little background info.

My gym recently sponsored a contest. Anyone could apply to be chosen to be part of a weight loss/fitness challenge. Most of the applicants were non members of the gym. Seven were chosen after the staff read hundreds of applications and essays and did phone and in person interviews. For 12 weeks they will get 3 personal training sessions per week and have full use of the gym. They get nutrition and fitness training. It's great. The one who loses the most will win a year membership and a bunch of prizes from local stores. The "fan favorite" gets a smaller prize package, and the remaining 5 get prizes, too. They have to keep a weekly blog and comments are open to everyone with a computer, so it seems. They are in week 3 of the challenge. I've met some of the contestants and they are great girls.

NOW - Here's the rant - Yesterday someone posted a truly hateful comment directed to all the contestants on one of the blogs. What is wrong with some people? The internet is a great tool, but has it's dark side, too, I guess. Anyone can hurt anyone else and no one can stop them. Here is the comment that was posted:

"this message is for all contestants Excuses excuses when will you all stop giving excuses for why you cant lose weight! stop eating and get up and move who cares if it hurts its supposed to. You all have spent so much time bieng weak and lazy eating whatever. its time to suffer. Im sure god dosent take fat people to heaven Ha"

It's poorly written and full of mistakes in grammar, spelling, and punctuation and shouldn't be taken seriously. I'd love it if everyone in here could get behind these girls and offer encouragement. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post a link to the contest site, so for now I won't. But . . . if you guys come through in your usual great form, I'll link the gym owner to this thread and have her post it on the blog so the girls can read your comments. Help me out here. I know it's difficult to post to someone you know nothing about, but these are all great girls, just like the rest of us, with the same problems and obstacles we all have. I know you'll help me out on this one. That nasty comment just hit a nerve with me.

Thanks in advance - Lin

EDITED TO SAY 2 THINGS:

1. I am not one of the contestants. I'm just offering my support as a member of the gym who is known to speak her mind!

2. The gym owner is looking into how to delete the comment. The site is a local site used to promote things going on in our city - not the website of the gym or the owner.

Last edited by linJber; 07-30-2011 at 02:06 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Someone can surely delete that ignorant comment. I think it might be a troll. I think it is wonderful that your gym is holding such an inspiring contest with great prizes! Good Luck to you and all your friends (but I hope you win
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #3  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Lin! I was so interested in what you - who are so consistently cheery and upbeat and humble - would have to rant about. It didn't surprise me that your anger was for others. So, here's my shot at it.

Losing weight is hard. Especially in our country and in our culture. I'm a student and struggling with not enough time or money. Driving through the fast-food lane at almost any outlet, I can get enough food for a dollar or two that I won't be hungry for six or seven hours. Or I can take the time and spend the money to buy and prepare fresh, healthy food. Similarly, macaroni and cheese and Ramen are cheap and fast. Fresh produce is expensive. It would, of course, be easier to not eat. But I've known anorexic women. Very few of them are able to be productive, and they certainly have health issues of their own. It's not really an option.

It's not about excuses. It's about obstacles. Just as the poster seems to have the twin obstacles of stupidity and lack of education paired with a general lack of human decency, we have obstacles in our path to physical and mental health. We are not weak or lazy, and instead of spending time on the couch, many of us are faced with hours upon hours of time at a desk. It is a simply reality in our culture - not good or bad. I promise - if I spent the same number of hours forging metal in a blacksmith shop as I do researching and writing, I would have muscles that would make the Hulk blush. Some of us are blessed with being thin without much effort, as others are blessed with compassion and clarity of mind. A choice doesn't need to be made (there's hope for the person who posted this nasty comment!), but if I have to make one, I'll choose to be fat and smart and kind rather than thin and dumb and cruel.

Christ embraced thieves and murderers and adulterers. I feel pretty confident that even if I never achieve my goal of a lifetime of healthy eating and consistent exercise, I will be forgiven my proclivity for cheap, convenient, unhealthy foods. But I also have hope that through consistent effort, I will be able to find a long-term solution to my weight issues as well. I have been inspired by knowing a number of people who have.
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/223/130

Height: 5'4"

How ridiculous! Obviously this person has nothing better to do than sit around and troll comments. So stupid. I hope the gym owner can get it removed, and that the contestants don't take it to heart.
eyre13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #5  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Hope it gets deleted soon. I guess the idiot who posted it doesn't get that none of the contestants are "making excuses" because they are all in this contest and obviously trying to do something about their weight. Moron.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #6  
Onederland Bound!

S/C/G: 254/Ticker/200

Height: 5'3

It's interesting how "tough" people can be when hiding behind their computer screens at home isn't it? I am certain there is a way for the comment to be deleted and hope they do so soon. It sounds like a great contest to enter/prize to win and hopefully the people that were chosen take this opporunity to change their lives. As for the pathetic people behind that message, they are just that: pathetic.
SweetTreat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #7  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Those contestants can get their bodies fit and healthy and attractive. I don't think that ignorant commenter will ever be able to improve his or her mind to the same extent.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #8  

I wouldn't spend two seconds worrying about that ridiculous person. From their post you can tell they aren't the brighest bulb in the chandelier. Ignore it and keep moving.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

One word: Trollolololololololol.

That's it. Just an internet troll. I hope they can delete the comment and happily move along with their contest.

Best of wishes to all of them. I know they're working hard for it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #10  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
One word: Trollolololololololol.

Thank you, I shall now have this song stuck in my head the rest of the day.
(Good thing I love the song!)
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rma1d View Post
Thank you, I shall now have this song stuck in my head the rest of the day.
(Good thing I love the song!)
I actually had to go and listen to it immediately after I left the comment
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #12  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

I hope the site administrator can trace the IP address of the poster and block them from posting on the site again. Too many people get all brave and post anonymously on sites to troll. It would be best for the comment to be deleted and the poster to banned, as any response to the comment will just inflate the trolls head and make them feel even braver. Trolls like that get off on causing hurt and drama, they are internet sociopaths.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I certainly agree that the post should be deleted. The gym owner is looking into it, but the actual site is one set up by the local newspaper for announcing all sorts of local events, etc. Thanks to all who posted to show support. I'm going to link this site to the gym owner so she can get all the contestants to read your great comments. Thanks for taking the time.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #14  
Closet skinny chick! :)

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

How truly despicable people can be sometimes I love my dose of technology and the internet as much as anyone else, but I *loathe* how the false sense of security and anonymity give people a sense of free reign to say and do as they would never do in person in the "real world". I truly commend these contestants for stepping up and undertaking what is surely a wonderful opportunity, but still a challenge. Weight-loss is a challenge in itself, and that's without the sense of competition added to it! I hope they all take it in the true spirit it is intended and not get demotivated by immature nutjobs like that.
Chantelle is offline   Reply With Quote