Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/163/145

Height: 5'6.5"

Question Help: Smoking Kale Chips...(In the oven)

Okay, so I am addicted to Kale chips, but the continue to smoke up my kitchen EVERY time I make them.....is anyone else having this issue?????
JoseyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/170/140

Height: 5'5"

Huh, I have never had that problem at all. What all do you put on yours? What temp do you cook them at and for how long?
Princess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Jessica View Post
Huh, I have never had that problem at all. What all do you put on yours? What temp do you cook them at and for how long?
I used a posted recipe....1 bunch Kale, cleaned, torn into pieces, tossed in 3tbls olive oil, 1 tbls apple cider vinegar, and 1teaspoon salt, bake on 400 for 20 minutes. The 2nd batch I lowered to 350 and it seemed to help some....
Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Now I do mine in a dehydrator -- if you have one, give it a try-- so easy. I'd guess maybe you have gunk in bottom of oven that is causing the smoking (drips and what not of other food). My kale never smoked even when I used to make it in the oven.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/170/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyM View Post
I used a posted recipe....1 bunch Kale, cleaned, torn into pieces, tossed in 3tbls olive oil, 1 tbls apple cider vinegar, and 1teaspoon salt, bake on 400 for 20 minutes. The 2nd batch I lowered to 350 and it seemed to help some....
The only difference in how I do mine is that I just use olive oil and spices, and cook at 350. I also make sure they are dry after cleaning them before cooking. Wish I could be more help, but I have no idea why yours are smoking.
Princess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Now I do mine in a dehydrator -- if you have one, give it a try-- so easy. I'd guess maybe you have gunk in bottom of oven that is causing the smoking (drips and what not of other food). My kale never smoked even when I used to make it in the oven.
Thanks walking, i don't have a dehydrator and my oven doesn't smoke when I have cooked anything else, even after the kale, so no drips in bottom, first thing I checked....maybe temp is too hot for my oven...it is a convection type I know it cooks HOT...compared to my old stove....
Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I cook mine at 300F and I constantly watch them....I actually will put my hand in the oven and quickly touch them (sometimes I grab one!)....mine 'smoked' the first time and stunk up the entire house...I think you have to play with how your oven cooks them. I don't think I wait to 15 minutes till I consider them done.

Good Luck!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyM View Post
Okay, so I am addicted to Kale chips, but the continue to smoke up my kitchen EVERY time I make them.....is anyone else having this issue?????
Josey were you the one on another thread (which I can't find now) who said you put the kale on waxed paper in the oven? I have never put waxed paper in the oven but use parchment paper alot.
Also is it really 3 TBLS of olive oil that goes on them? That seems like a lot!

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

OOOO parchment paper is what your suppose to use. I spray mine....3 tbsp sounds like a lot. I bought an oil sprayer and put the vinegar and oil in it (a sprayer just for kale chips! )
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #10  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Josey I think its the wax paper honey....don't put it on that to cook!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #11  

Pat, yes, I used wax paper, and today my batches I used no paper, still smoked. Have you bought Kale? You get about 6 measuring cups of raw Kale from 1 bunch, so it is 3 tbls for all 6 cups, I mix in a big dish pan. I think the key is to turn my oven down some and make sure it is good and dry before cooking, will let you know, have to do another bunch tomorrow (hubby and son ate alot ofmine)
Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

No I haven't tried to make the kale chips yet so reading carefully what everyone is saying. It seems one thing is to make sure it is dry before putting it in the oven. I didn't realize you got so much from one bunch.

I'm out in the boonies, I'll look for the kale and also kohlrabi when I go into the city this weekend.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
No I haven't tried to make the kale chips yet so reading carefully what everyone is saying. It seems one thing is to make sure it is dry before putting it in the oven. I didn't realize you got so much from one bunch.

I'm out in the boonies, I'll look for the kale and also kohlrabi when I go into the city this weekend.

Pat
okay, you should be able to find Kale, but the kohlrabi, celery root, and ruhbarb I have not been able to find here. I think the things I did different from suggestions above, is my Kale was not completely dry, it was still damp, and I need to reduce the temperature some for my oven. Good luck Let us know how they turn out....
Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #14  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Isn't kale well, isn't it a sort of leafy lettuce looking thing? I've juiced it ages ago; can't really remember.
What is it that is so good about kale chips? I am going to try this, so I appreciate reading what you ladies have said...I've tried two times to make eggplant chips and failed miserably both times, and had to throw them all out.
I hope I can do something good with the kale idea. You all seem to sound like they are really yummy. Non restricted?
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #15  
Man on a mission

Do theses count in your veggie portion of the day or they are considered as lettuce. Thanks
rooster on a diet is offline   Reply With Quote