Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #1  
Ninja Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 204/204/126

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy A mild disappointment

When I joined this forum/site, I was looking for support for running in a place that isn't full of beginner to advanced runners where 90% of the people are of average size or smaller. But, I also wanted to keep track of fitness levels, etc. so I had planned to find a fitness test quickly and keep track of weight weekly.

On Wednesday, I took my weight and it said 204. I decided I wanted to weigh on Thursdays instead, so I weighted yesterday. This was also because I felt like I was carrying extra weight on Wed (or I would've just used that number). The scale said 197. That's 7 lbs loss in one day (much more than I thought I was carrying). I checked it 3x to make sure. So, today I did it again just because I couldn't believe it said that...and it said 190. WHAT?! That's 14 lbs in 2 days.

So, I dragged out the Wii, which I haven't weighed on almost 4 months and it said I weighted the same as last time (so it would be at the 206 range). Now, I don't know what to think. I don't want to look at my weight to see how good I'm doing (that's my running speed and distance!) but as someone here has noted, "That's the easiest way" to see the differences.

:sigh: I don't want to feel let down by this error of my scale, but I'm kind of bummed! I also don't know how I'm going to measure myself adequately, as we are trying to sell the Wii...
eliz204to126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Scales stink. Yours sounds like it stinks worse than most. Is it digital? You could try changing the batteries.

Going forward, if you don't want to track your weight, then don't. Unless your scale gets more reliable, I would toss it out the window. There's no sense setting your hopes on something that just doesn't work. I really doubt those 14 lbs in 2 days was accurate. You'd notice if you were carrying that much extra water.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

I have a friend who has lost a significant amount of weight but she NEVER weighed, so she has no idea how much she lost. I think she has lost more than me, but I am not sure....I do know that she looks FABULOUS. So don't weigh if you do not want to.

Disclaimer - I am a numbers person, so I love to chart and track the changes on the scale.

Last edited by envelope; 07-29-2011 at 10:34 AM.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186.0/186.0/140

Height: 5"6"

Your scale is evil! Errr, more evil than most other scales. I do believe that all are evil ;-)

I would suggest new batteries in the scale. However, sounds like you are trying to be pretty active and if you are like me, your body tends to hold water when you run/etc. I have found that more accurate than a scale is a measuring tape. I am taking monthly measurements to see my progress. Sometimes you see it there and do not see it on the scale. Keep it up and dont let that awful peice of metal detour you!
Peaches5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #5  
Ninja Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 204/204/126

Thanks for all of your support! I think I will just stick to mileage and speed instead of trying to manage so many numbers! I have my starting accurate enough (within 2lbs for sure), so if I want to weigh further down the line, I can!
eliz204to126 is offline   Reply With Quote